RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Mag Squirrel shot

Banned

357 Mag Squirrel shot

My neighbor has pesky squirrels getting into his chicken feed.

He was wanting some 'snake' shot to shoot and kill them with.

Not being able to find any, I offered to load him up some to do the work with.

Took a 357mag case flaired it, shoved a 35 cal GC down on top of 4.5gr of unique, poured in about 100gr of #8 shot, took a wad of speed green and mushed it on the top to hold all the bb's in and then crimped it a bit.

I plan on patterning and distance shooting them tomorrow on paper.

Anyone have a good load they recommend?

Blammer,
    How far is the distance he is going to try and hit the squirrels?
    I used to have good luck using Speer plastic shot capsules at the Speer manual max. load and #6 shot out to 10 or 15 feet, jmsj

Banned

less than 20 feet

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Speer shot capsules. I loaded some up for my Dad to use on marauding squirrels. He killed at least 12 squirrels and a couple of rattlesnakes. I used the load data on the box with Unique and #8 shot. They were fired from a Blackhawk. He killed squirrels out to 12 yds without a problem. He also said it did less damage to his pear trees than a .410. I tried the gas checks, and they worked, but did not pattern near as well as the shot capsules. I have just ordered another box of .357 capsules for Dad and a couple of boxes of .45 capsules for myself.

G

Blammer.
    I think at that distance it might work. I would use something heavier than what comes in the factory loads.

By heavier I mean a larger shot size .

Boolit Master
    4.5 grains of Unique is not the best in my opinion. I've always used Bullseye, about 2.7 to 3.0 max. You don't need velocity, in fact it will hurt your effort. And you do need maximum space for the shot. I've also had great luck with using a spent case as a card wad punch and punching wads from note pad backer board. Cheaper than gas checks, use one over powder and one over the shot, no lube.

I've loaded # 8 in .38 cases and killed a rattler once, about 10 feet or so with an SP101. The pattern opens up real quick. I'm doubtful that it would be effective on squirrels at 10 yards, but let us know how it turns out.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

The shorter the barrel the better the pattern will be , less time for da riflin to get a hold !

10 -15 feet `bout max accordin to shot size & speed.
    GP100man

I just tested this between a factory 45colt shotshell and a 475Linbaugh loaded about as you wanted to load yours...

The factorys come with No9 shot and mine were loaded with No.6

The factory and the the homeload had almost the identical pattern size at 20ft (squirrel would have no chance!) but the factory loaded with the smaller shot was a much denser pattern...(more holes per inch)...so smaller shot is the way to go if you have it, especially for the small 357 case.

My 475L load was with a full load of "Enforcer" 20gr. (cause that is what was in the measure) and a leather wad down on the powder and then the case filled with No.6, topped with beeswax. What I found was that the wax will melt/blowout if the cylinder was loaded fully, so you may need to cap your shell with a small milk jugwad etc. before adding your lube to hold in the overshot wad. or just crimp it real good over the wad.

The other thing you may want to try is those "glooblets" They are Plenty deadly for a squirel at that range and very quiet.. if you add a little powder to these you get a lot more effect

Banned

yea, may try some heavier shot, we'll give the #8 a go first, then maybe bump to #4

GC's for me are cheap.

Boolit Master
    After the first shot or 2, I think you are going to have a heck of a bad time getting within 20 ft of those squirrels again. Don't mean to through a damper on things, but I've been there seen it and done it.

Target .22 ammo under 1050 fps (or lower) would be the ticket. Very accurate, not a lot of noise (doesn't break sound barrier). Hope this helps.

Oh, I forgot, cast iron pan, flour/salt/pepper. Brown, cut down heat and fry slow till done. Heck,he might start leaving chicken feed out, LOL.

Boolit Master

Pellet rifle?

shot loads ?????????

Finnaly someone got it right-----pellet gun . Been gitting rid of all kinds of critters ,chimmunks , rats , and squirrels for years with one.----------------
    Good Shooting --------------------------Papa Smurf

Banned

no pellet gun.

tried with 4.5gr of unique GC and 100gr of #8shot held in place by a spot of speed greed lube.

too much bang, poor pattern

3gr of unique and bingo!

also tried #4 shot, works well too, will go with #8 as I can get a whole bunch in it.

It's no louder than a 22.

If after a few are dead they stay away, then problem solved. No more feed robbing squirrels.

Banned

We're not in the city so no worries.

Boolit Master
    Blammer it's not that they will stay away, they will actually change there routine and look for you, no kidding! I can go to my kitchen sink and they will see me through the window and haul butt, it's actually funny in a way.

However good luck to you.

Banned

ought to be good for a laugh.

If they get to skiddish, the 12ga comes out.

Right now the squirrels are getting ambushed inside a shed, they can be easily busted heading to the only exit.

Boolit Master
    you can use a gas check upside down over the powder and another one, upside down over the shot and if you get the right amount of shot the crimp will hold the gas check. I loaded a hot load, with 8s and they shot thru both sides of a galvanized wash tub. first rattler, I shot a second time because he didn't move the first time. you probably will get a better pattern with a hotter load. less time in the barrel to start rotating. I would like to try the 357 maximum case for a 357 shot load.

Been making those for .357, .44mag and .45 colt for over 20 years.

I use 231 and 7.5 or 8 shot, I place the checks cup UP - both of them, bottom and top.

I get a better crimp with the last check facing cup up - looks professional.

Tried it both ways - up is better IMO.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Boolit Master

I have messed with the shot capsules and Styrofoam wads, and gaschecks and whatever to try to develop a shot shell for handguns in 38, 357, 44, and 45 with very little success. Sure, you can croak a chipmunk or snake or bird or whatever that is no larger than a red squirrel at a distance of less than 12’ . Basically no farther with any success—period…

I have found you get about 1” of spread per foot of distance. So at 12' you might have a 12" circle at best and you have 113 square inches of target. How many pallets are in the charge you are shooting? Figure it out. There can be plenty of open space in that 12” circle and that is if ALL of the pallets stay in that circle—not likely it will happen…

If you are using #8’s you have many pallets, but the energy per pallet is almost nonexistent. If you go to #6’s, you have some energy, but not very many pallets…

I have tried them on small critters as previously mentioned and the results are most unpretty (!) at times. Generally to finish off the unfortunate target is done by stepping on it. You ain’t killing anything humanely past 5 yards and that is stretching it. Heck, you have people who can throw a baseball with better efficiency and probably hit small targets at or near 8 yards!!!...

Pellets guns or shorts in a 22 are the best choice in my opinion…

Good-luck…BCB