RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Questions about 5744

Boolit Bub

Questions about 5744

I am finding I like XMP-5744 the more I use it. My small amount is old and I have to order some. What is on the market now doesn’t say “XMP”. Is the new powder the same as the old? Mind was made in Europe. Why is the cost so much more than the other powders? Has anyone had any experience with the new stuff? Is it as accurate as the old stuff? Thanks… Hal

Boolit Master

Talking

It is the same stuff same precautions as changing lots.

On Heaven's Range

5744 sees a lot of use on my bench, too.

Like you, I've been curious as to why the cost is so much higher than that of its "sister" powders in the Accurate line. Maybe some magical ingredient?

One of the most surprising loads I've found with 5744 is one that actually FUNCTIONS my M1A, meaning in semi-auto mode.... a Lyman 311466 (150-grain Loverin) ahead of 26.0 5744 not only makes the rifle work perfectly (about 1900 fps), but it shoots well-enough that I hit a 14x16" steel plate five-for-five at over four hundred yards at last year's Nevada Shoot....no sling, no rest, no optics. I suppose that when the charge weight is barely one-half that of the more conventional powders, the extra cost-per-pound doesn't matter much!

I haven't noticed any particular difference between the older XMP stuff and the current-production version.

5744 is certainly a very useful fuel for us cast-bullet shooters. I'd hate to be without it.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I've been using a fair amount of AA5744 myself. If you consider that your charge weight of 5744 is about 1/2 of what it would be if it were 4350, or maybe 2/3 of 4895(thinking 30-06), then the price per charge isn't all that bad. I need to get another 8# jug.

Moderator Emeritus

Wideners has it for $153 an 8lbs Keg which is as cheap as anywhere I have seen it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I would not hesitate using it with PB boolits as well, especially the first issue of the powder which has only 10 percent nitroglycerin. The second and later batches have 20 percent and more deterrent (potassium sulfate?) to compensate. That would extend the pressure curve, making the higher nitro less offensive to plain base (PB) boolits. Prolly the powder to use for PB 35 caliber (150 grainers) 100 yard plinkers at the river, saving the gas checks. Need to try it after suggesting it here. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

DONT leave it in the polly powder measure containers it will eat them up

Boolit Master

Not all that long ago I bought 8 lbs off of a guy that used to shoot at our range. He could not understand why anyone would pay 80 buck for a jug ( maybe 60 I forget now) for the stuff and he had already sold 16 lbs at that unheard of price.

Wish I could have snagged all three!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies and info. I had been trying to get my Marlin 30-30 on board to shoot at the Cowboy Silhouette Nationals and was late doing so. I didn’t need too much power, just a medium load. In a T/C pistol years ago I had good luck with Blue Dot. It didn’t show me anything in the rifle. I tried 4759 and ended up using 21 GR of RL-7 behind my RCBS 180 for the Regional shoot in Bradford, PA. When at that range I scoped it on a bench at 200M and found it was giving me a vertical spread of about 15”. That load had given me under 1 ˝” groups at home at 50M. When back home at 50M I tried medium loads of 3031 and 335 to no avail. Digging deeper in my closet I came across the 5744 I had played with on other guns years ago. At 50M with a friend (Bill Parks) recommend 18 GR load, the first shot was 1” low and the rest went into less than 1” group. It did that twice. I thought, this is a keeper. On thinking of the low powder charge and possible velocity loss at 200M and possible group spread, I changed it. I upped it to the minimal load in the book of 20 GR for 1750 something FPS. Recoil isn’t bad at all for continued firing and case is filled reasonably well. The group, well the same thing on the first shot, one inch low out of a clean barrel. Then 5 shots into less than a ˝” group! Three times, positively a keeper! No time for any 200M tests so I got them loaded up will head for Raton.

HAL,
    Best of luck to you at Raton. I have used 5744 in my 788 .30-30. It has a 22" barrel and 18 grs under a 190 gr bullet clocked around 1750 f.p.s. Accuracy @ 300meters (Ridgway NRA Steel Javelina) was very good with some groups in the 3-4" range on a calm day.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Bub
    Hi John .... Missed you at Bradford....It was a great Match and the weather just couldn't of been better. By the figures you got there, it looks like I am over loaded for Raton. Just don't need the power there. I guess that is what get for not having the time to set up my Chrony. I got a nice cast load for the 32 Mag also...HP38 and 098 RCBS.... couldn't get that Lyman 008 bullet to shoot... I think it is the throat in the rifle. When I got time I am going to research the 22 WCF to find out more about it. Headed for TUSCO OH in the morning. Hal

Used it extensively about 2001 or 2002 in .35 Remington for cast boolits; rifle being a 336 Microgroove Marlin, natch. Got excellent results - still occasionally whack a woodchuck with one of the 357496 semi wadcutter loads, just to remind myself. 1" at 70 yards (my only range back then), was no problem. Have used it in place of 4227 in .357 Magnum, too. I can't shoot handguns worth a hoot, but I seem to hit what I aim at. Never have been a competition shooter, so that's all I know.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I called Accurate before they were bought by Western and asked why the price was higher on 5744. They said it should not be as it is sold to the dealers at the same price as the other powders.
    When I am out I will change my RB 40-65 to 4759 or 2400. I already use these powders in other guns with sucess so no big deal.
    Can't see paying more for a powder when less expensive alternatives are available.

Boolit Grand Master

I conducted a comparison pressure/velocity test in the 45-70 using old XMP5744 and newer AA5744. Other than typical lot to lot variation there was no measureable difference between the old and new.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Old vs New.....biggest difference is the price.

I switched over to 4759 & 4198.....and they burn cleaner.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I've pretty well used up my old jug (XMP-5744) and thought enough of it to buy a new jug. From what I can tell, the new powder is about 4% lighter and seems to burn cleaner at low pressure. I did notice the new powder tends to bridge in my Redding measure, so may need to use the Bonanaza Benchrest measure. I NEVER had a problem with bridging with the old jug of powder.

Boolit Master
    Love 5744 in my 500L, fills the case and 28.5 grains with a 450 Keith does 1098 fps(cci300) for a nice everyday load.