WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 98 mauser in .458 SOCOM?

Boolit Buddy

Question 98 mauser in .458 SOCOM?

I have been mulling this idea over in my head and it keeps coming back to taunt me. Anyone have an idea who could do the chambering/ mag lips work? The guy at Tepo Jitsu who invented the chambering says there are smiths doing Rem bolt guns in this cartridge but couldn't suggest a mauser smith... I'd figred that if one could do a .458 mag on a 98 action then why not a SOCOM?

Boolit Master

I've build one in 257 Weatherby . What are the measurements of the SOCOM case?
    Feeding can be a bit of a sticky wicket but mine is flawless now. I think I'm going to rebarrel again to 416 Taylor,for the local critters are getting a little tougher to take out. Full frontal charges are becoming more frequent.......400 grns at 2200 FPS should do it. RCBS does a 350 grn mold that looks very interesting. "416Taylorhardcast" sent me some dummy rounds. I'v just got to have one......hope the shoulder holds up to it. Hehehehe ;<)
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

I have a 458/284 Win
    Slightly longer than the 450 Bushmaster , but using a .458 bullet instead of the .452 in the Bushmaster

I use 45/70 dies to load it

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I have a 458/284 Win
    Slightly longer than the 450 Bushmaster , but using a .458 bullet instead of the .452 in the Bushmaster

I use 45/70 dies to load it

John
    That is interesting.
    What was used as reamer when making the chamber?
    Custom or a reamer from another caliber?
    Any possibility to post pics to this forum?

S

In a Mauser I would think a 450 Marlin would work well. Pretty much the same as a 458X2 inch but you can get factory brass and dies.

Boolit Master
    I'd think about the .450Bushmaster. You can make brass from any .284 winchester based case.

johnch,

Do you have to ream the ID on the .284 brass to seat .458 boolits? I have trouble with the boolit heels bulging the case walls when I load anything fatter than .452 in my cut down .284 cases. I've been using the Hornady .450B brass for cast as it has thinner case walls so I can seat boolits sized .453 up to about 400 grains. Unfortunately the Hornady factory brass is very pricey, and it gets shorter faster than the cut down .284 cases. I've thought about reaming my chamber to 45 Pro, which is essentially the same as the .450 B with another .10 length in the case.

BD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I'd think about the .450Bushmaster. You can make brass from any .284 winchester based case.

johnch,

Do you have to ream the ID on the .284 brass to seat .458 boolits? I have trouble with the boolit heels bulging the case walls when I load anything fatter than .452 in my cut down .284 cases. I've been using the Hornady .450B brass for cast as it has thinner case walls so I can seat boolits sized .453 up to about 400 grains. Unfortunately the Hornady factory brass is very pricey, and it gets shorter faster than the cut down .284 cases. I've thought about reaming my chamber to 45 Pro, which is essentially the same as the .450 B with another .10 length in the case.

BD
    I had to slightly ream the ID to seat the bullets after fire forming
    More to true up the brass , as the lot of brass I got had necks that varried in thickness

I tryed .4595 boolits that I use in the Marlin and they are a bit to tight for my likeing
    And I am lucky , the barrel is .457

I found it easyest to fire a loaded ( home loaded with a Boolit ) round
    That expands the case with 0% lose

As for the reamer , a local gunsmith did the work 20 or so years back
    I am not sure of where he got the reamer
    But I know he did several other rifles in 458/284 for guys in the club

I am not at home right now
    But I will try and post a pic Sunday after I get off work

I have to say this
    Over the years I have had 2 or 3 case heads not get picked up by the extractor and be pushed in front of the extractor

As the rifle is built on a 98 action without a modifyed extractor
    When it happens , it gums up the works

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat