RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handloader Magazine #236

Boolit Grand Master

Handloader Magazine #236

My collection of Handloader Magazines only goes back to issue #240.

I would like a copy of Brian Pearce's article on the .44 Special in the #236 issue of the Handloader.

If anyone can offer me a copy I would be happy to pay for copying and mail. PM me for my Email address. Better yet, maybe an Email copy and send it direct to my Email (a PM will get my Email address)

Dale53

any idea what month and year that might be?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

WILLS;
    The date of issue is August 2005.

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Dale , I have that issue/article on DVD - can print it out and mail it to you if no one replies within the USA (I'm in Australia). Send me your mail address if required. Regards Peter

Boolit Grand Master

To all that replied, both here and in Private Messages. I have a copy coming, so that should be all that is needed.

I want to thank all of you for your near instant response.

All the best to you and yours,
    Dale53

Boolit Mold
    I too would like a copy of this issue. Wanting the Pearce .44 Special info more than anything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Md8232;
    I only have the one article (.44 Special), not the whole magazine. Send me your email address by PM and I will email it to you.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    My oh my, this post was 8 years old!

Boolit Grand Master

Paul105 and md8232;
    That IS the article.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the copy of that excellent 44 Special article! Somehow, I missed that article years ago. Some interesting points in the article:
    1. 30 inches of penetration in a mountain lion with a frontal chest shot.
    2. Complete pass through a black bear, rear back through chest, breaking spine etc.
    3. A 5 fps Extreme Velocity Spread(EVS) for the Skeeter load of 7.5 grs Unique behind a Keith 250 gr. Lyman 429421.
    4. A two(2) shot kill, through the lungs, of an elk at 100 yds.

It's hard not to like the 250 gr. Lyman 429421 in a 44 Special at 950 fps or in a 44 Magnum at 1350 fps. That cutting shoulder, on the 429421, definitely helps its incredible straight penetration and bone crunching. Years ago, I did some penetration testing in a frozen sand bank with a 44 Magnum & Keith 429421s. Using a sharpened stick I attempted to dig out the bullets; after about 3-4 feet of stick-digging in the frozen sand-bank I gave up with no recovered Keith 429421s. I was very impressed with what Elmer Keith, the real deal, had developed. We are all very lucky that Elmer Keith, through extensive testing on all kinds of animals, gave us the 429421 design. It is indeed a remarkable bullet design that one can have confidence in it doing the job properly.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    Bump, for some important info on 429421 performance in 44 Special.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Grand Master

CJR;
    Thanks for sharing your info.

In addition to several deer harvested with the Keith bullet, I have taken a number of edible small game with the .44 Special. If you shoot them through the head or through the slats, it is instant stop with negligible meat loss in spite of the large caliber. My experience of edible small game includes squirrel, cottontail and snowshoe rabbits as well as the occasional sitting or wounded grouse.

FWIW,
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Wow! I scanned an article a couple of years ago in Handloader on the 44 Special. But. I have been looking for that earlier article for a spell.

Boolit Master
    Dale53,

How does the 44 at 950 FPS compare to the comparable 45 caliber at the same speed? As you know, I prefer the 45 ACP/AR.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Man
    There is a newer series in Handloader for the 44 special. I love the 44 spl but the newer one and cat 3 in the older ones are HOT.. 1200 fps? that is what I load my 44 mag 250 cast at. I love a SAA at around 800 fps for the 250 cast swc coated bullets. This from a 4 3/4" gun.. longer barrels are faster. This is a very accurate and fun load to shoot out plinking but I think it would be plenty good for deer or hogs at reasonable ranges. it is probly right about the same as say a 45 Colt or 45 acp power factor. Lots of fun to shoot.. I like around 7.2 of #5 for this load.. articles say way more.. manuals say less... your mileage may vary.

lazs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    There is a newer series in Handloader for the 44 special. I love the 44 spl but the newer one and cat 3 in the older ones are HOT.. 1200 fps? that is what I load my 44 mag 250 cast at. I love a SAA at around 800 fps for the 250 cast swc coated bullets. This from a 4 3/4" gun.. longer barrels are faster. This is a very accurate and fun load to shoot out plinking but I think it would be plenty good for deer or hogs at reasonable ranges. it is probly right about the same as say a 45 Colt or 45 acp power factor. Lots of fun to shoot.. I like around 7.2 of #5 for this load.. articles say way more.. manuals say less... your mileage may vary.

lazs
    I have a copy of that article too. But I agree those loads are a tad hot for my blood. I avoid gas check territory.

My Pet Load in my Lipsey Ruger SA 4 1/2" is a Speer swaged lead 240 gr .430" SWC on top of 6.8 grains of Unique. Per my chronograph it runs an average of 893 fps, varying between 881 and 907 fps. It is the most accurate load I've found for this particular revolver, and it also shoots well in my 5" GP100. In my opinion it is hefty enough for anything I may run across here in Arkansas.

Boolit Master
    Dale53,
    You're welcome!. Thanks for bringing article #236 to everyone's attention. Based on some other threads, i.e. discussing HP'g the Lyman 429421 CB, I thought it was important to emphasize what the SOLID Lyman 429421 CB can do, in the real world, as shown in this Handloader Magazine #236 Article. With all the current rage on super-duper $$$$ defensive bullet designs and the hype on how these bullets perform in gelatin blocks, one can easily be misled into believing they can handle both "hard targets" as well as "soft targets". As a bullet expands, penetration decreases and the possibility of bullet fragmentation increases; particularly when the bullet starts breaking bone. Gelatin blocks typically don't simulate bone breaking and therefore don't show bullet fragmentation. Reduced penetration or bullet fragmentation is not a good thing in "hard targets" that can bite back. "Hard targets" have a much more strict performance requirement, than "soft targets", and that requirement is very easily satisfied with a SOLID Lyman 429421 CB. So, it's important to know what type of bullet works best on "hard targets" and what type of bullet works best on "soft targets" and not make any assumptions. We are indeed lucky that Elmer Keith used real animals, for his testing of the solid Lyman 429421 CB, instead of gelatin blocks that don't bite back.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    This thread prompted me to find my Handloader #236. Took me almost a week but I found it.

Today I shot 17 gr. of 2400 with Keith RCBS 44-250-K in Special brass in my 3 screw SBH. This load had a lot more recoil than 10 gr. of Unique in magnum brass in the same boolit and gun.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=StrawHat;4364123]Dale53,

How does the 44 at 950 FPS compare to the comparable 45 caliber at the same speed? As you know, I prefer the 45 ACP/AR.

Kevin

I don’t believe there would be any significant difference between the two calibers/loads as far as the target is concerned. The .44 may shoot a bit flatter, but I would use either without issue.

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast