Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data

Thread: First real outing with the 40-65

Boolit Master

First real outing with the 40-65

Well we had to pull the new barrel off and reinstall it Saturday to get the proper alignment, but went to the range after that.
    I shot several groups with my standard load with the heavier boolits.
    That is;
    reformed WW 45-70 cases, CCI BR-2 primers, over primer newsprint disc,
    58grs Swiss 2F, compressed about .125, and .25 over powder wad.
    There were 3 boolits we tested at 300yds. A 455gr at 1.5", a Super Snover by Steve Brooks at 1.4", and my old 350gr RCBS at 1.167.
    The 455gr shot a sub 2 minute group in a horizontal string 3/4" high for 8 shots.
    The Super Snover strung horizontally as well but around 7 inches or just over 2 minutes. I think this boolit can do much better but I had some seating issues because of precompressed powder charges. This boolit is designed to be seated way out and I think that the case will take another 8grs of powder to get it up in the rifling properly.
    The 350gr is my old load and it shot a little over 2 minutes as well, which is better than I expected.
    I felt like it was an excellent start. All of the loads were minute of pig.
    Getting used to the scope adjustments is going to be problematic till I get used to them, BUT man is it nice to be able to actually see what I'm shooting at again. Praise the Lord and pass the amunition.

Everyone have a great Memorial Day and Remember our fallen and their Sacrifice.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Cut That Out!!!

After eye surgery, I can't always see the sights any more. Friends have suggested that I scope my rifle with a Malcomb type period scope. I have been resisting that. But being able to see the sughts is kinda important to good shooting.

DOAN tempt me.

Whut kinda scope yew got? Anyway? Dang it. I shouldn't even ask. Yew can't REALLY shoot better wiff it can ya? Say it ain't so!!!

Besides that, it's fugly. A real black powder rifalgun shouldn't have no dern scope on it. Anybody who'd do that would wear lace on their panties.

Say it ain't so Boz. Say it ain't so.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

In Remembrance
    If there wasn't enough wind to cause it, to what do you attribute the horizontal stringing?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Black Prince,
    Venturino has quoted in a number of different articles that about 25% of all Sharps shipped from the factory had some type of scope, so it can't be too bad. I would love to get a second rifle set up, same as the first, but with a Malcolm scope, I reckon they are fairly flash lookin bits of machinery.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

BP, I fought it as long as I could. After awhile just hearing BANG don't cut it. BANG,,,,,,,,,,,,CLANG is what I'm looking for. This weekend will be the first match with it so we shall see ifin it makes a difference. I can still get by with regular sights with the GREAT BIG regular paper targets, but I don't shoot those much.
    I got the MVA scope because it has a rear windage adjustment and I like the sliding scope a little better than the fixed.
    Scopes, what Southern Son said about the Buffler guns. I'm a traditionalist but hittin is a lot more fun than missin.

MC, I'm not sure what the horizontal stringing was from. We shoot in a valley and the wind blows up or downbut has to be really bad to blow cross. That wasn't the problem. My 2 guesses are paralax because I didn't have the book with me to tell how to fix it. Or it might have been the seating depth of the boolit. I threw these loads together pretty quick with cases that had been charged and compressed already. I didn't spend a lot of time tayloring the load to the chamber.
    If you have any ideas I'm all ears. Life is to short to make all the mistakes myself.

Bob

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    MC, I'm not sure what the horizontal stringing was from. We shoot in a valley and the wind blows up or downbut has to be really bad to blow cross. That wasn't the problem. My 2 guesses are paralax because I didn't have the book with me to tell how to fix it. Or it might have been the seating depth of the boolit. I threw these loads together pretty quick with cases that had been charged and compressed already. I didn't spend a lot of time tayloring the load to the chamber.
    If you have any ideas I'm all ears. Life is to short to make all the mistakes myself.

Bob
    I can't convince myself that a load which puts a group into close vertical proximity can have any problem that causes the horizontal to open up. If there was any 'randomness' built in to the ammunition, it would also show up in the vertical measurement.

When wind is not a factor, and when you can trust the sight(s) to be stable, the only factor I am left with is how the rifle is controlled by the shooter.

I have two shoulder pads for use with my Sharps.
    The Bob Allen pad is not terribly thick, and has a 'cushy' feel somewhat like muscle.
    The PAST pad is thicker, but it is also one hard son of a gun.
    I get horizontal stringing when I wear it, and I'm certain it's because the rifle butt 'scoots' to my right at recoil.

With the softer pad there is no 'scooting'...and no horizontal dispersion.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I don't doubt that I am more than capable of yanking shots off. I tend to agree wih you on spreading them around. I was not using a recoil shield. The 40-65 isn't that bad for 20 to 30 rnds. I tend to think it was paralax since the target was somewhat blurry. The shots were across sand bags which would alow more horizontal than vertical. I still was very happy with the results for the first time out. Now it is time for serious load developement, if I could get some time away from this bloody shop.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Bob sounds to me like it'ld be best to wait until you get a few more rounds (200 anyway) down range, and by then hopefully the barrel is settled into the action, the action is settled into the stock, and the scope mounts have been tightened and seated for the last time.
    Then maybe play with some 3f just to see if the bullet wants to go faster
    Other than that sounds to me like trigger time with the new set up will probably cure lots of little ills.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Don, I just rebarreld my old Hi-wall action with a faster twist barrel so some of the things are pretty well settled in. I broke the barrel in with jacketed like Badger recommends and I've probably got a 100+ cast down range already. I plan on trying all the variables again unless I just luck into a pretty good shooting load right away. My old load is as good a place to start as any and like I said I'm not unhappy at all with it to start. I find it interesting to see what different combinations do, WHEN I have time to mess with it. Sometimes life just gets in the way.
    Had to cancel out Quigley this year because of a pissin contest with planning and zoneing over a range on my property that has been going since 85. That along with work. Hasn't been that great of a year so far and I can't be turning down income to pay $4.79 a gallon to drive 1800 miles, as much as I really wanted to come.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Yupppers Bob I understand all to well about the live comes at ya fast deal.
    You'll get that outfit to shooting the way you want it soon enough I'm betting.
    I do notice that the badger on my 75 doesn't particularly think it needs to be extra clean to shoot well, and it's not really fond of excessive amounts of lube either.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.