Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Armi Sport Sharps...any good?

Yep Bullshop. It's a factory Jap made Browning BPCR. I can't afford a Mecham. I can buy a good used pickin' up truck for what one of those costs. It came out of the Browning box with the wood just like what you see and I have seen at least a half dozen others with as nice, or almost so, factory wood on them. Every one of them that I've seen all shoot VERY GOOD. It is the most reasonably priced, GOOD, BPCR rifle out there and in my opinion, under rated.

All I did was have Lee Shaver do a trigger job and have him change the lever contours from the stock "S" lever to the one you see. He left the Browning trademark on the lever and refilled it with gold. When people see it, it blows them away because they want to know why their Browning isn't like that.

I remember when Browning stopped making these and they were selling at closeout for $960 bucks, hand lapped Badger barrels, fancy select grade wood and all!! At the time, I had a Browning Traditional Hunter with absolutely drop dead wood on it , so I wasn't interested in BPCR's until I got interested in silloutte shooting and the prices for them had gone up quiet a bit. But I'm always ahead of the curve like that. Hee, hee. Gun trader I AIN'T!!!

But what the heck? I have it now and I'm happy; the guy I got it from is happy, so it was a good deal for everyone and that is the way a deal ought to be as far as I'm concerned.

After I got this Browning rifle, I put my Sharps in the gun safe and didn't use it. I was at the shooting contest of the Church of the Painful Truth last year and a young hard working man with four children was there. I could see that he wanted to get into this kind of shooting, so I gave him my Sharps and all the stuff he needed to cast and load for it. They say it's better to give than receive and if you could have seen his face when he opened it ( I still had the box it came in and the rifle looked new with no dings or scratches on it) you would know that statement is true. He shot very well at the annual meeting of the church this year and I even managed to win second place myownself, poor eye sight and all. The young man who actually won first place ( shooting an Armi Sports - Taylor Imported Sharps replica in 45-70 with soulie sights I might add) was 20 points ahead of me and is a past two time national champion shooter, so he steped aside and they actually awarded me the first place trophy. Believe it or not, I bought the Browning from him! I didn't earn the trophy, but I have it anyway. Sometimes things just work out that way. Karma and all that I guess.
    Last edited by Black Prince; 04-08-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry guys, when Meacham said in his web site, "we finished it last fall", I thought that meant he had built it.

Sorry about that.

Black Prince, what please is this Church of the Painful Truth? Sounds interesting!

Gene

Boolit Master
    Black Prince
    You aint neather no black prince. God bless ya you got the holy spirate in ya, praise God!
    Dont get me wrong pard I wernt bad mouthin yer gun no way. I got me one too and its a winner for sure. Its just that when I saw the pic of your gun and it had the same cut to the stock, same checkering and the same case color as mine thought it must be same as mine just spruced up a bit. Thats a fine lookin rifle and I know first hand how they shoot. Browning done their home work on that one. They gave us out of the box what gunsmiths had been doing to trick out hiwalls. The only thing I dont like about the new ones is the rebounding hammer. The older b-78 didnt have it, they have a half cock like the origonal hiwall. Reason is with the relativly light hammer the rebound spring robs some hammer energy. It dont ammount to much and dont matter most of the time but when ya shoot at -30f like we often do it does make a differance.
    That inconsistant hammer fall plays havoc with extream velocity spread.
    For normal folks, yup I aint normal, it wont never matter.
    If yer wonderin there is a bright side to livin here in the cold. We save lots a $ on refrigeration and air conditioning.
    God bless ya Sir, yer a good man! See ya there someday.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, Montana Charlie, you're exactly right about the Uberti firearms. And, by the way, I have owned an Uberti 1871 .44 Navy Dragoon for 15 years or so, and it is an utterly gorgeous piece of machinery, in every detail, and with better ballistics than a .357 Magnum!

But I just spent the last few days with my local Uberti dealer, who tried all over America to get an Uberti Quigley 50/90 for me, but couldn't find one anywhere.

So - even though they're terrific, and a little less than Pedersoli - they're very difficult or impossible to locate in stock.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by willdixon View Post
    But I just spent the last few days with my local Uberti dealer, who tried all over America to get an Uberti Quigley 50/90 for me, but couldn't find one anywhere.
    Frankly, I haven't ever seen a Uberti-branded Sharps that was chambered for any cartirdge other than .45/70. They may have branched out far enough (by now) to include .45/90, but I haven't seen one advertised, yet.

I also haven't seen any real price difference between the Uberti and Pedersoli rifles.

There may be an advantage in ordering a Uberti if a local store has a Uberti supplier, but none for Pedersoli. Other than that, I see no particular reason to search for a Uberti-branded Sharps.
    On the other hand, if a guy happens upon a Sharps that carries the Uberti name, he can be (pretty) sure it was made by Pedersoli.

I say "pretty sure" because if the gun is a couple of years old, it just may be one of the first batch offered by Uberti...the ones built by Armi Sport.
    If he bumps into one of those, he will know the maker by the shape of the lever.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-09-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    You may be right, Charlie, but the dealer didn't mention anything to me about UBERTI SHARPS being available only in 45/70. He just said he couldn't find a 50/90

And - ha ha - to make matters a tad more complex, I have the big and beautiful UBERTI catalog right here on my desk, and it shows all the 7 or 8 UBERTI SHARPS models, including the "DOWN UNDER" (which was a 50/100, I believe). BUT THE UBERTI CATALOG IS PUBLISHED BY BINELLI FIREARMS!

Who knows....

Boolit Buddy
    These Italian conglomerate firearms manufacturers indeed weave a tangled web! Nothing untoward, you understand, only complicated.

My new PEDERSOLI SHARPS QUIGLEY 50/90 is due to be delivered Monday.

I returned my ARMI SPORT.

But the PERDESOLI QUIGLEY comes with only the open hunting sights, so I ordered a set of UBERTI LONG RANGE SIGHTS, and they arrived today. IN A PEDERSOLI BOX WITH PEDERSOLI INSTRUCTIONS.

By the way, being brand dumb new at BPCR and PEDERSOLIS and SHARPS, I've got upwards of a million questions to ask SOMEBODY about my 50/90, but I hate annoying all the bright shootists on the forum with my stupid questions.

So, if any of you owns a PEDERSOLI SHARPS 50/90, and have nothing better to do, I'd dearly love to chat with you by email. I'm at oldmanriver@alltel.net. Our home is right on the bank of the grand old Rebel Suwannee River, and thus the "oldmanriver".

Thank you very much.

In Remembrance
    So, if any of you owns a PEDERSOLI SHARPS 50/90, and have nothing better to do, I'd dearly love to chat with you by email.
    I think you already have my email address, and (as I am healing from some surgery) I have some time on my hands.

I can answer questions about Pedersoli Sharps...just not the 50/90 part.
    And, I can answer questions about Pedersoli sights, if you have any.

One 'sight question' is regularly asked by guys who are making changes, and I'll provide the answer (in case you need it) right now.

Tap out the blade sight out from left to right (as you look from breech to muzzle), and tap the new globe sight in from right to left.

CM

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry Charlie -

I greatly appreciate your concern - but I happen to have the Pedersoli sight poop sheet in my hand. It's called "USA 426. INSTALLATION AND ADJUSTMENT OF FRONT SPIRIT LEVE SIGHT #USA 426".

And, inter alia, it says, "The sight should be inserted from the left side of the barrel and if necessary, use a wood dowel rod or suitable soft object to tap the sight into final position."

Ah well. . . .

In Remembrance
    I won't argue with the poop from Pedersoli.
    Do they tell you which end of the barrel you should be looking from when you decide which is the left side?

If you have the gun mounted in a vise, and you are standing at the muzzle end with the muzzle pointed at your belly button, you are in a natural position for working on the sight.

When standing that way, I will agree that the side which is to your left is the proper side to insert the sight from.
    CM

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah - see Charlie - you're smarter than I am.

I hadn't even thought about that.

But yes, you were right and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

In Remembrance
    I was wrong.
    They say "it takes a big man to admit"...that his poop was coming out backward.
    CM

willdixon, did you get your rifle today?

Dang!!! I hate it when that happens. A wooley booger got Will and toted him off.

I wonder what happened to his rifle?
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Boolit Master
    He has been having a booger of a time getting stuff he needs.
    I think he mighta lost it and went and womped on his dealer.
    His 50/90 bug was infectous, I cought it too.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Mornin' BLACK PRINCE -

No, not dragged off quite yet, but been a tad under the weather last couple of weeks.

I'm 77 and the lyin', thievin', snake-oil salesmen tell me I've only got five more months to live. Ha ha I'll bet they'd give me an extension on that if I don't pay their bills by then.

Just a little slow lately.... sorry about that....

Wal Will, ah know that you are a lawyer, but we won't tell the state bar assocation if you give us a simple answer like "YES" I have my rifalgun or "NO" I don't have my rifalgun, so maybe they won't disbar you.

Wal MAYBE they won't!!!.

On second thought . . . Hilary and Obama are lawyers. Maybe ya oughta jiss not say anything.

Boolit Buddy
    WELL I RECKON IF IT WEREN'T FOR MY BAD LUCK, I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY LUCK AT ALL.

Brand new Starline brass won't chamber in this brand new PEDERSOLI SHARPS QUIGLEY 50/90.

Any of you ever heard of this problem?

Thank you!

In Remembrance
    Well, I have been following you around the internet. Several have mentioned a chamber cast as a good first step, and here is a situation that makes it seem like a mandatory one.

Only by knowing the shape of the 'hole' can we decide what is in need of changing...brass, or rifle.
    (Could they have sent you a .50/70, or a .45/90?)

Is your brass 'too fat' or 'too long' to go into chamber?
    CM

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Montana Charlie -

But I just now full sized all this Starline brass - three times for each shell, just in case. And it WILL chamber. Just barely, but it WILL chamber.

I'd buy some additional brass from a different maker, but there is nothing other than Starline available in 50/2.50 or longer, alas.

Thank you!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast