Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Muzzleloader .32 or .36

Banned
    I prefer the 32 for two reasons. Cheaper on lead and powder. Not to mention that you can pretty much hunt anything from Whitetail down with it up to 100 yds. It's also lighter than the higher calibers, but you won't find much difference in weight between the 32 and 36.

I don't know about deer with a .32 especially out at 100 yards. I know it can be done at least at the closer ranges but that little 46 grain pill just isn't much good if it hits a bone. I'd certainly use it (where legal) if it was all I had but even a .36, IMHO, is pushing it. I consider coyote size game about the upper limit for a .32. I like my .32 and admit it leaves the .22 mag in the dust. If used against deer size critters I'd want to pick my shots and keep them close.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

I would not use my .32 or .36 to hunt large game as there just isn't enough lead there and if a bone is hit penetration would be very limited.
    If hunting large game like deer or larger I want my .50 or .54 so I have some decent stopping power.
    Some use a .45 caliber on deer and that would be the smallest I would use on deer and my range would also be limited. Sorry but I want to know my game is deer as fast as I can get it done, To old to chase an animal long distances to finish the job.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I consider a .45 a 80 yard deer caliber. For a .32. I doubt I would care to shoot a deer over 40 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I consider a .45 a 80 yard deer caliber. For a .32. I doubt I would care to shoot a deer over 40 yards.

Glad you caught that. What I MEANT to say was that I would use a .32 for anything UNDER a Whitetail. For some of the Whitetail we have around here ... I would think a .45 would be pushing it! I prefer the .50 cal myself.

Boolit Master

Now a really dumb question but can a .32 caliber 45 grain round ball even drop a deer sized animal at most reasonable hunting distances? I would think that if bone were hit it would leave a nasty wound but not in itself fatal. If shot in the lungs would it do enough damage to stop the animal?
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

I believe it would be possible but like you were surmizing if you hit bone or the wrong spot you risk not killing it or killing it but not quick enough to recover. It has the approximate power of a 22LR or maybe a 22 mag.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I guess I am just to concerned with the animal not suffering to ever use it for that large of game animal. I like them dead now and as close to where shot as possible.
    I also don't see the need to shoot a deer if there is only me or a couple of people in warm weather as you would stand the chance of a large amount of meat spoiling before it could be eaten another issue of mine. If you can take care of it fast enough why did you shoot it in the first place.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I'm new here today so forgive me for digging up old posts. I just wanted to throw it out there that I have a Traditions BuckHunter in .32 and it's an awesome tree rat rifle. I use 30 grains of Pyrodex P and ball and patch with it. I put a 4x Simmons scope on it and it's dead on at 50 yards, nice gun for about $200.00 I have this one for about 7-8 years now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32deerhunter4.jpg   32deerhunter3.jpg   32deerhunter2.jpg  

Boolit Master

Somdshoot
    I have a scope on one of my TC Seneca's in 36 caliber. Ir has been there for over a year now and I still need to fine tune it but haven't had time yet. The farthest I have shot with it was 200 yards at a clay pigeon and I was able to hit parts of it several times with it just rough sighted to the rifle.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Somdshoot
    Welcome to the board first off. Second we have no problems digging up old post and this really isn't that old. It also shows you are searching and reading rather than asking a question that has been aske over and over. I have that rifle also and like it quite a bit but have not tried it with a scope.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Somdshoot
    Welcome to the board first off. Second we have no problems digging up old post and this really isn't that old. It also shows you are searching and reading rather than asking a question that has been aske over and over. I have that rifle also and like it quite a bit but have not tried it with a scope.
    I am certainly hoping to have a good time here for sure. I have been reading over many older posts trying to familiarize myself with where the forum is at this point and how to step up to the plate here.

The scope I have this rifle is nothing fancy at all, it is an old Simmons I had laying around and it works great with the hammer too, more than enough clearance between the hammer and the scope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    The choice between 32 and 36 is yes. In my experience the 32 is more sensitive to loading pressure varation. The first one I built with a Duglas barrel , it was possible to change impact 3 inches at 50 yds from all the weight I could put on the ramrod to lightly touching the powder. The green mountain barrel I am now shooting is not as bad. Of course the intent is the same pressure every time. I use mine for mainly squirrel hunting, but also use the fifty loaded light.

As to your list, get a CO2 discharger. If I had one many years ago I would still be shooting the Douglas barrel. The thread marks from a ball screw pulling a ball sure buggered up a good barrel
    I guess in a situation where you couldn't get the ball whammed down all the way, a ball discharger would come in handy but have been able to pull the nipple and stuff in a few grains of powder every time I've had to remedy that situation. Just made sure to pound the ball down on top of the powder. Of course this was always in cases where someone else dry balled their gun & they had to call on the great one (me of course) to fix their screw up.😇😉😚.

Boolit Master
    I've had both,the .32 moves faster but the.36 hits harder. Accuracy was the same but the.36 was a lot more forgiving with a fowled bore. I guess it all depends on how much powder and lead you want to use.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for their input.
    I was hoping for a little more infomation on accessories. I seem to buy what I dont need. Then need something else

So here is what I am going to do

Buy the .32 then tell the wife I bought the wrong one ( never done this before)
    Then later tell her I need the .36 She is so understanding (95 % of the time)
    Ooooo... you better just HOPE that she never visits this forum and reads what you wrote. You won't even be allowed into the dog house!

I don't own a .36 caliber rifle, only a pistol (T/C Patriot). I do own a .32 T/C Cherokee. In my estimation, a .32 is a fine small game gun. .36 is not all that much larger and might be more versatile especially if you plan to shoot at larger kinds of small game, i.e.: foxes, coyotes, etc. I've heard that they carried .32's on the Lewis & Clark expedition. I can see some logic in that, but I think they might have considered a larger bore gun for things with teeth, claws, and maybe those that shoot arrows back at you. Accessories for either caliber are generally not all that difficult to acquire, so long as you don't think you can just walk up to any gun counter and purchase them on the spot. In these Dark Times, you have to order stuff like that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    Track of the Wolf is where I got mine.
    Yep where I get most of my ML stuff

Boolit Master
    Bore mops are great!

I have squirt bottles with water, rubbing alcohol, and Moose Milk (haven't used it yet). This is for swabbing.

Boolit Buddy
    This is an easy question to answer. Which rifle? .32 or .36 caliber? YES Steak or lobster? YES!

Boolit Master
    I agree, one of each please.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Well guys I end up with 2 36 TC and 2 TC in 32 and a Crockett in 32

I like the 36 better its easier to load for older hands

Did TC make these in flint locks?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast