Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Which Muzzleloader .32 or .36

I am thinking of buying a muzzleloader

It will be used just for plinking.

Here are the two I am considering.

Traditions

Crockett .32 cal or Shenandoah .36 cal

I was going to get the Crockett .32 but the accessories seem harder to find.

What all do I need?

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

32s sure make powder go a long way. For small varmit and tree rat hunting they are the bees knees. They kill all out of proportion to their size and powder charge. 20 grns of 3F is plenty to do all you need. 350 shots to the pound is hard to beat. Caps then become the main expence.......hehehehehehe. I have a cap maker..........hehehe
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Grand Master

I've really been wanting to get a 36(mostly because I don't have that caliber) but I haven't had the funds and then I think do I really need it. I have quite a few calibers now including 3 32's. It seems to me the 36 is less common and you would find those accessories would be harder to come by but what are you talking about? One of the great things about M/Ls is you can make pretty much everything you need.
    You can't really go wrong with either one I think but shooting the 32 is like shooting a 22. I was kind of wanting the 36 to have a little more umph to it.

P.S. I was looking at that Shenandoah. Nice looking rifle!
    Aim small, miss small!

I have heard some very positive reports about the Crocket. Seems to do well.

I guess it depends on what you want it for. If squirrels then a .32cal is near ideal. If you are planning to shoot out to 50-60 yards on rabbits etc I would favour the .36cal as it has 'longer legs'. Same goes for target. Go for the .36cal.

Just remember those .32cal balls are 45gr only and slow up real quick.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Jeff's right, but I kinda think Cactus Farmer is more right.

If ya want more "legs" then by all means go with the .36

Bob

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Its kind of funny about the 32's popularity today. When I started in the 70's the 36 was the THE squirrel rifle. I ahve never owned one or built a 36, but I think I was the first in my area to use a 32 whcih I had to build. The production guns came out awhile after wards. My experience based on using both a 32 and 40 is that the none of these small bores will break you. Its almost cheaper to buy the swaged ball than mess with casting your own, powder goes a long ways. Buy the rifle you like the best and to H--l with caliber differences.

NorthhMN

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    50 - 60 yards is not asking for more than the .32 can deliver. I have a Crockett and I would not be afraid of 50/60 yard shot at all. The furthest I shot my little smoke pole is 75 yard and it will hold a minute of beer can all day long. I don't believe I got lucky with a better than normal shooter, the other two rifles I have shot like mine would both do the same. I think the .32 sometimes gets beat up on because "some expert", "somewhere", "some time" said it wouldn't do "something". Its a fine caliber for what it was designed to do...take small game and it will do it at any normal fixed iron sight range.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master

What do I Need

Range Rod
    Bullet starter
    Patch puller
    Ball puller
    Powder measure

bronze bore brush
    Cotton swab

Patches
    nipple wrench
    Bore scraper

Any recommendation will be appreciated

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Track of the Wolf is where I got mine.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

There are a surprising number of .32cal popping up in our neck of the woods. I can't help but think it might be a factor of economy. Pretty expense to shoot down here.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

The choice between 32 and 36 is yes. In my experience the 32 is more sensitive to loading pressure varation. The first one I built with a Duglas barrel , it was possible to change impact 3 inches at 50 yds from all the weight I could put on the ramrod to lightly touching the powder. The green mountain barrel I am now shooting is not as bad. Of course the intent is the same pressure every time. I use mine for mainly squirrel hunting, but also use the fifty loaded light.

As to your list, get a CO2 discharger. If I had one many years ago I would still be shooting the Douglas barrel. The thread marks from a ball screw pulling a ball sure buggered up a good barrel
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dcp View Post
    What do I Need

Range Rod
    Bullet starter
    Patch puller
    Ball puller
    Powder measure

bronze bore brush
    Cotton swab

Patches
    nipple wrench
    Bore scraper

Any recommendation will be appreciated
    I would definately would get a range rod. There are many different types to choose from. I do not use wood to load with. If you get a range rod a little long, you can cut off what you don't need to make a starter with. I have never had a need for a ball puller. Not easy to do and if you forget the powder first( everyone does eventually) you can put a small amount of powder under the nipple or in the drum and it will be enough to shoot it out. Powder measure is needed and they are basicall universal or you can make one from an mt miece of brass.
    Patch puller would be nice. Sometimes they come with the rod inside the cleaning jag which is good to have too. You will need a bore brush unless you already have one and cotton swabs or I just use rags cut up. Patches you can buy or make. No sythetic matewrial but cotton or linen works. you can get a yard of pillow ticking from a fabric place and it will last a long time, especially for a 32/36.
    A nipple wrench is a must have too. Bore scrapper isn't a must have but nice to have at some point.
    Aim small, miss small!

I do not think I have ever used a bore brush in my ML's. Definitely a range rod and ideally one that can have a muzzle protector. I used to get the flash protectors for guns with a drum and nipple. You can clean with water, but a good antirust gun oil doesn't hurt.

Northmn

I would recommend the .36, I have a T/C Seneca .36 and am very happy with it. The larger diameter ball is easier to load with cold fingers.
    You might consider a used Seneca or Cherokee instead of a Traditions. Last month I bought an unfired .45 Seneca for the same price as a Shenandoah.
    The only special accessory that you need is a ball starter small enough to fit.

Looking on the Traditions site, and actually seeing a Crocket rifle I much prefer the Crocket halfstock. The production full stocks don't do a lot for me as they tend to be made too bulky. As a rifle builder my standards are mostly aesthetic, but a fullstock was generally made in longer barrels. The little Crocket would be a fun gun to play with and is a little less expensive. For most uses of a small bore, the 32 does fine. Mail order suppliers like Track of the Wolf or Muzzle Loaders Builders supply handle any accessory you would need for either. Personally for a range rod for a 32 I would look into one of the ONE PIECE stainless steel cleaning rods made for 30 caliber as sold by makers like Tipton. While spendy they make a good rod for other guns as well and have a muzzle protector.

Northmn

You really don't need all that much to shoot and most of it you can make. I've had a Crockett for years and can attest that it is one fine rifle. I also have a flint .36. I use the same powder charge in both and they are cheap to shoot. My Crockett does very well at 50 yards as does my .36 SMR.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

I would like to thank everyone for their input.
    I was hoping for a little more infomation on accessories. I seem to buy what I dont need. Then need something else

So here is what I am going to do

Buy the .32 then tell the wife I bought the wrong one ( never done this before)
    Then later tell her I need the .36 She is so understanding (95 % of the time)
    Last edited by DCP; 07-17-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

dcp if she buys that one, keep her, or tell her you want the other for Christmas.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

What more info on accessories did you need?
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Based on my experience with the 32 (none with a 36) I'd say you shouldn't really need a bullet starter for that caliber. The small circumference means very little surface area in contact with the bore - hence low pressure required to start the ball. I just "choke up" on the (hickory) ramrod and push in.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast