RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fire lapping experiance results.

I live on a dirt road here in s.c. I thought everybody did?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    One does not. One finds what powder charge is slow and does not stick in the bbl by increasing the charge after one has had a bullet stick and been driven out. That way one knows what the minimum velocity is to exit the bbl. Minimum velocity equals maximum time in the bbl and maximum coverage of the materiel one wants to remove. This will be different for every gun.
    Well there's no way I'm stick'n one in my '06!

4.0 grains of Scot 453 under a grain of Dacron did 724 fps with a lubed LBT 154, so I figure 3.3 grains ought to deliver just about 600 fps. Given, I'll be shooting a boolit coated with 320 grit, I ought to be in the 500 to 600 fps range with 3.3 grains. I'll shoot into a bunch of blankets tonight with 3.0 grains and a gritty boolit just to see what happens. (Hmmm, now where did I put that 1/4" steel dowel?)

MJ

4.0 grains of Scot 453 under a grain of Dacron did 724 fps ....
    Not too far off being stationary. I'd increase that powder charge. Add some gitty stuff and reduce powder charge .... mmmm. Also, there won't be enough pressure to obturate the boolit so as to maintain pressure against the bore. It'll be interesting to hear what happened. I've had very light loads that shot some bullets with appreciable velocity while others actually stopped in the bore. (Test tube firings - no mistaking the powder charges).
    Last edited by 303Guy; 12-21-2010 at 07:09 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

Unhappy Damn Flu :(

been fighting the Flu since I last posted and during this time, working on every one else's 'puters for them. what a way to spend Christmas, birthday and New years. but actually feel good enough now to re read the fav's of the forums and can't get over how fascinating PP'ing and firelapping is. I have always used fine lapping grit and done the hand job routine (watch it!!!) and I can say that while slow, it always produced excellent results. I finally got my buddy off his butt and we are starting to work on his Mosin Nagant Mod 38. when we get it to where we want it , then we will work on mine. we have both been "A" rate millwright
    s, but he hasn't been shooting in over 25-30 years while I have continued for decades ---- so what we have is a "teachy== learny" moment . question is--who's teaching and who's learning Hope we all have a great New Year and lots and lots of shooting time. God Bless to all and Yours.

GOF (goofy)
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Bub
    I know this is an old thread, but .. I'm doing it too.
    SOMEwhere (maybe here?) there was the technique of firing one grit boolit, clean the hole and fire a couple regular, then clean the hole and check it out. An old Mauser I just bought had a funny boom to it and had a wide pattern on the target. I believe the PO wasn't a very good maintainer, and crapola was left to fester too often, too long, and then it was "fire" cleaned. (His words, BTW) After maybe ten grit load sets had gone thru there was a snap! instead of a dull thud. A little less recoil, also. Now I don't have to buy them 24"x36" 100 yard targets anymore, the ones I print out are large enough!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234