RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire lapping experiance results.

Hey Guys,
    Couldn't resist, I'm sorta one of those goofy benchrest guys, been shootin the fun shoots for about 5-6 years. Yea, your right they...we have some quirky ways, and because we can't shoot for nuthin off our hind legs, like real men, we sit on stools and do our shootin. But, we are all just shooters, we love our guns and reloading, and when the chips are down, we will defend your rights as you will defend ours. Picking on someone that doesn't shoot the same way you do is kinda like what my buddy Scott says " like a rat calling a possum a slick-tailed rascal " I'm not offended, someone else might be. I lurk here a lot because some day I want to be able to shoot a VFS match with cast boolits, and you guys are on the cutting edge. There is so much info on this sight that my poor benchrest mind can't process, and I just keep coming back for more. Picking on me is OK, I'm pretty thick-scinned, the next guy, well he might be offended and sat those guys over on Cast Boolits are all a bunch of " slick-tailed rascals " I'm off the soap-box!!!
    The stuff that the benchresters were using was probably JB Bore Paste. A mild abrasive used to clean and polish the throats on there rifles. It too breaks down into smaller particles as it is used. I usually scrub my barrel with it after every 200-300 rounds. I don't think you could remove very much metal with it, we clean carbon and smooth throats with it.
    I've read some stuff by Bill Calfee who lapps the barrels of every rimfire rifle that he builds to get a chocked effect. This guy is really good and has an almost cult-ish following. His rifles are some of the most sought-after custom rimfires around. I'm not gonna fire lapp my custom barrels, but a factory barrel that has dimensional issues may get a treatment, if I learn how on here.
    Sorry for the long-winded post, and keep it coming,
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Master

Welcome Gee Gaw! I like Benchresters. We even have some Rail Guns at the club also.
    Those guys are spooky. Don't talk much, make very small groups.
    What I like to do is just smear a little lapping compound on the patch. Just enough to colour it.
    This seems to assist the lapping effect of the paper, and it does get the lead out! 100rds of paper, and the bore looks like a mirror!
    Benchresters are welcome here. Even if they do have some cool rifles! They do seem to know something about shooting.
    I love to watch them at the range. All that loading gear, microadjustable rests.
    I can only shoot groups like that in my dreams!

Hi there gee-gaw. Your welcome to teach me how to shoot! Sight picture control and all that. I learned sight picture and trigger control off a bench (informal) and carried that into off-hand shooting. I developed a bit of a reputation at my local sillywet club. Still have some trophies no-one else had a chance to win! (Club level). To up the ante, I used to go for speed then head shots at the ram (22 RF rifle).

So, it would be fun to have you try your hand at paper patching with a BR rifle! I've found the paper patch to be quite complex and challenging. Plenty of scope for you to advance in. I enjoy the challange of Lee Enfields and cordite and age/neglect damaged bores. I can't really test anything properly because I'm not a bench rest shooter! Plus the fact that Lee Enfields have really crappy firing mechanisms right down to the trigger!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

docone31,
    Those guys are probably like me and just don't know how to act out in public. I've got a 38-55 that I want to try paper patching, thus my snooping around on this forum. The fire lapping peaked my interest because I've been known to drag old military rifles home from the gun shows. Thanks for the welcome!
    303Guy,
    I don't have any trophies, just ain't good enough, yet. But I'm having a good time, and the guys that are beating me regularly aren't too mean to me. I can't teach anyone how to shoot off a bench, cause for one, I'm still learning, and for two, I'm left handed and everyone knows you can't learn nothin from one of them left handers!!! I've developed a real liking to those old Enfields also, just can't keep one for very long. I currently have one in 7.62X51 that I intend to paper patch for. It may get some fire lapping before everything is said and done. Thanks for the welcome!!!
    Wayne

Boolit Master
    Gee gaw I don't hate benchresters ...Its just that I can't afford all that expensive bling they got going.

Seems more of a who's got the most...est ..bestest gear wins.

I have my limits....
    If money was no option to me I'd probably have a proper go at it.

They are nice guns to shoot!!! I'll grant you that.....seeing the bullet hole appear a hairs breath away from the cross hairs in close up is nice!!!

Me I just plug and score of them 2x a year when they have the rimfire events.

I tell them when they learn to shoot with out all those supports and "aids" I'll let 'em come rabbit shooting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=413
    About as serious as I get
    Flags made from only the worlds finest materials.
    As well as the bags.which convert to a clean pair of socks..and zip lock bags full of rice.

The fold up chair is holding up quite well besides being hit a few times with 30-30 loads!!!!

Most people go either or think I'm taking the :takinWiz: out of them.

Serious stuff this !!!! 1 moa at 50yrds with cheap std velocity stuff. soft drink cans at a woosie 175 yrds or more even rarely survive!!!
    Last edited by barrabruce; 10-28-2010 at 08:10 PM.

barabruce,
    I just play benchrest, I can't afford the good equipment, like custom actions, $1500.00 scopes, $800.00 rest and so-on. $1100.00 will buy my PPC scope and all. Vintage late 70s sleeved 40-X action, Robetson stock, Shilen barrel, and Weaver scope. On a good day she will shoot in the high teens... if I read the wind right...and don't put pressure on the stock with my right hand...and remember to follow through...and, well you get the picture.
    Ahh, but these cast boolits, now there is something different, totally. I know that there is someone shooting tiny groups with these home-made little wonders, and I want to do that too. I only hope I have the cranial horse-power to get-er-done. I've been casting off and on for more than twenty years, with this need for tiny cast boolit groups bouncing around in my head. I have finally reached a point where I can start in that direction, cautiously. And all you guys have, unknowingly prodded me on. Should be interesting...
    Wayne

In Remembrance

I fire lapped my off-the-rack Remington 700 (30-06) this past summer.

Tightened up the groups immensely!

Just did the 600 yard qualification shoot at my club, and was shooting all ten's and a few X's at 600 yards with it.

The bench rest guys told me I have a heck of an "F Class" gun, considering how little I have into it.

Here's a blurb on F-Class guns, and the nature of that game.

http://www.6mmbr.com/fclass.html

It's less involved than the 1,000 yard $10,000 guns......

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

gee-gaw hope that I didn't offend you too bad. Actually I have a couple of friends that shoot benchrest that are good guys both older and earned their way quite enjoyable to be around but then there are some young ones that are plum full of them selves but that's probably true in all sports.

Truth of the matter is that I actually joined that club 36 years ago for the benchrest shooting, did well with it for several years got a little bored with the equipment race and moved on to other shooting sports. Something else that I have noticed in the last few years is that I do spent more time setting down to shoot than I use to, too many winters I guess.

So welcome to the site and enjoy there is much to learn here, way more than any one person could learn in a lifetime.

Good luck

Richard

No offense taken Richard, Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Wayne

I bought a Beartooth fire lapping kit years ago but when I discovered the compound was 320 grit, I put it on the shelf, indefinitely. So, is it OK to use the Beartooth compound or should I get some Clover Lapping Compound?

MJ

Boolit Master

Rock, and Roll!
    It don't matter.

would firelapping automatically produce a choked bore?

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Rock, and Roll!
    It don't matter.
    Is about .0005" to .0010" over groove about right for the BHN 12-13 lapping slugs?

MJ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I bought a Beartooth fire lapping kit years ago but when I discovered the compound was 320 grit, I put it on the shelf, indefinitely. So, is it OK to use the Beartooth compound or should I get some Clover Lapping Compound?

MJ

The stuff they sell/use is Clover lapping compound.

How does one achieve 500 to 600 fps with a gritty 154 grain boolit (I found some LBT-like 150's in my BT lapping kit) without risking the possibility of sticking one in the barrel? I was going to shoot 25 rounds with my "lapping load" tomorrow using no grit to get an approximate velocity; and for Wednesday, finger seat the gritty boolits to be used for lapping. So far I've tried 6 grains of BD but I didn't get a velocity; however, the load penetrated near 2 feet of blankets, 3/4" of pine and was stopped by 3/4" of plywood... my guess was 700+ fps.

I have sufficient amounts of:

#2, 453, 231, #5, SR-7625, WC-820 and probably enough BD to get the job done. Is it best to use about a grain of Dacron to keep the mini-charge against the primer?

Thank you,
    MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 12-19-2010 at 07:35 PM.

What firearm?

Pre-64 M70 in 30-'06.

MJ

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    How does one achieve 500 to 600 fps with a gritty 154 grain boolit (I found some LBT-like 150's in my BT lapping kit) without risking the possibility of sticking one in the barrel? I was going to shoot 25 rounds with my "lapping load" tomorrow using no grit to get an approximate velocity; and for Wednesday, finger seat the gritty boolits to be used for lapping. So far I've tried 6 grains of BD but I didn't get a velocity; however, the load penetrated near 2 feet of blankets, 3/4" of pine and was stopped by 3/4" of plywood... my guess was 700+ fps.

I have sufficient amounts of:

#2, 453, 231, #5, SR-7625, WC-820 and probably enough BD to get the job done. Is it best to use about a grain of Dacron to keep the mini-charge against the primer?

Thank you,
    MJ
    One does not. One finds what powder charge is slow and does not stick in the bbl by increasing the charge after one has had a bullet stick and been driven out. That way one knows what the minimum velocity is to exit the bbl. Minimum velocity equals maximum time in the bbl and maximum coverage of the materiel one wants to remove. This will be different for every gun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Remember to only use fired/not-resized cases.

would firelapping automatically produce a choked bore?
    I'd say so, yes. Better yet - it could be expected to tend shape the throat to a near ideal.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast