MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Improved Sprue Plates... Any Interest?

I just read the review that BCAll wrote, and what are the size holes? I often take my countersink and open up the holes for the 44-45 boolits. It helps the fillout a lot.

It almost seems like you would need about 3 different hole sizes to cover the different calibers from 22- 30,35- 45

Also, as I look at these I suspect that you can use the plate to hammer on, instead of using the hand cutter, since that was a big part of the earlier discussion.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Just let me know what size holes you want. bigger is easier.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like some thicker sprue plates.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I would like some thicker sprue plates.

Shiloh
    Which varieties?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way

6 cavity conventional sprue plate

I ordered a 6 cavity, conventional sprue plate as pictured in post #115. Jim mailed it Saturday, and I received it today, Monday. After inspecting it and a quick wash, it went on a Lee 6 cavity group buy 311041 that I had received in trade. My frst casting session with it, and my Ranch Dog 311-165 both proved more frustrating than anything with the original sprue cutters. I had hoped for production, but couldn't get the sharp, untorn bases I was looking for.

Jim's sprue plate replaces the original, but the mold it turned 180* in the handles so that it operates like a conventional mold rather than with the cam. I preheated the mold by putting it on top of the pot while it came up to temperature. I made (3) casts into the sprue box and then began dropping good bullets into the water bucket. Instead of an occasional good base, they were all good unless the operator did something wrong.

The downside is that this sprue plate is heavy. A little creative trimming on a bandsaw will rectify that issue. I will be using this plate on ALL of my Lee 6 cavity molds until I order more. This is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED modification.

Thanks Jim!
    Last edited by excess650; 09-14-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567