WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Improved Sprue Plates... Any Interest?

Boolit Master

I wants one too Jim!!!!
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I think I'll go buy some lottery tickets...I never win anything.

Well, the prototype went in the mail yesterday. With a little luck, AbitNutz should have it tomorrow. Once he tries it & posts his comments, I'll make up a Beta version & see what everyone thinks of it. I should be able to have the first batch made up a day or two after that, if my day job doesn't get busy all of a sudden.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Have you figured out a price yet?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

When we come up with the final version, I'll figure out a price.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Just got the spru plate. I'll cast a batch up tomorrow and let you all know how things work out.

Boolit Grand Master

OMG I've got over 20 6 cav Lee molds. Swapping them wont work so that means 1 for each. Arrrrrrrrgh bankruptcy ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    OMG I've got over 20 6 cav Lee molds. Swapping them wont work so that means 1 for each. Arrrrrrrrgh bankruptcy ahead.
    Geeze,
    You could set up a group buy all by yourself.

Actually, for people in your situation, I could probably make up a quick change thumb screw, so that you would be able to swap out sprue plates quickly & easily. Let me know if you would like me to dig into that possibility a little deeper.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    1st report on the new spru plate.

When I first got it I was sure it was going to make the mold weigh a ton. It doesn't. It weighs more but is unnoticeable.

There's a small fitment issue. The close slot isn't quite wide enough on this particular mold and it doesn't let the spru plate close completely. It's pretty close and I think a bit of grinding or more likely, a different mold, it will line up perfectly. Either way it's not stopping me from moving forward.

The third pry handle fit perfectly and so did the pivot bolt.

This first mold will be a pure lead black powder bullet. I'm going to try different methods of filling it. This mold really liked to have the pour spout right on the spru plate which is a pain. I'm hoping I can just fill the trough and life will be good.

I'm waiting for the pot to melt so more later.

I can tell you all one thing immediately. I'm even less satisfied with the Lee spru plate now that I have a chance to look at it off the mold. I'm pretty well convinced that spru plates should be steel.

Don't throw that aluminum sprue plate away just yet. If you don't want it anymore, you can send it my way. I'd love to have an extra floating around that I can use to experiment with & try a few modifications on.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    If you get these in to production, whats the chance of getting one with smaller sprue holes? I just got a 6 cavity Ranch Dog 22 mold and the sprue holes are kinda big. Would like to have one with smaller holes if possible. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Right now, I'm using #6-32 screws through the sprue holes to fixture the part when I take the big milling cut out of the bottom edge. If I go to smaller holes, I'll have to make that cut in the sprue plate another way that is going to take a little longer. I should still be able to do it. It's just going to cost a little extra. It's not as easy as just throwing a smaller bit in the chuck when I drill them.

Alternately, If you are not looking to hit it with a hammer, I can make a steel sprue plate with a trough that just uses the original cam handle system. That should be no problem at all.

Let me think about it for a little while & see if I can come up with a better way to do it.

How small did you want those holes?
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'm waiting for the pot to melt so more later.
    ?????? How did it work out? Did you run into trouble?
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Geeze,

Actually, for people in your situation, I could probably make up a quick change thumb screw, so that you would be able to swap out sprue plates quickly & easily. Let me know if you would like me to dig into that possibility a little deeper.
    I've only got five, but that sounds like a good idea.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Right now, I'm using #6-32 screws through the sprue holes to fixture the part when I take the big milling cut out of the bottom edge. If I go to smaller holes, I'll have to make that cut in the sprue plate another way that is going to take a little longer. I should still be able to do it. It's just going to cost a little extra. It's not as easy as just throwing a smaller bit in the chuck when I drill them.

Alternately, If you are not looking to hit it with a hammer, I can make a steel sprue plate with a trough that just uses the original cam handle system. That should be no problem at all.

Let me think about it for a little while & see if I can come up with a better way to do it.

How small did you want those holes?
    The holes in the current sprue plate are about .14-.15, I would like to have something roughly .10 in size. Thanks! Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Well,
    I was hoping to get a little more feedback than I did, but I don't want to let this sit too long, so I decided to come up with version 2 based on the information that I have.

I fixed the slot dimension & made it .01" wider, for better clearance. I opened up the handle pivot hole from .250" to .257". there shouldn't be any more clearance problems there. I made the hitting edge 1/2" wider, which looks to me like it should be enough. I made the trough 1/8" wider on each end. I was concerned about loosing structural support if I went too far wit it. I will do a longer trough if someone insists that they want it, but I don't want to do that as a standard practice. I also made up a quick change screw. I put a brass insert on the screw for durability & reduced chance of galling. If the head of the screw is too high, I can make a lower version. In all honesty, it may be better to just stay with the original screw.

I figured out another way that I can get hold of these things in the mill, so I should be able to do the .10" diameter sprue holes for the same price as the standard size. I haven't made the new fixture to do that yet, but I don't expect problems.

The price is going to be $25 for the sprue plate & $10 for the screw. Prices do not include shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6bangSprueScrew.JPG   6BangScrew.JPG   6BangHit.JPG  
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    If you get one done with .10 holes in it, let me know- I'll send the money when ever you wnat it. Thanks! Billy

Boolit Master
    sorry...we ran in to a medical issue.

The spu plate work fine. It cleaves cleanly and since it is heavier, has a lot more inertia so it feels easier to bang open. It doesn't seem to matter how I fill it. If I run it down the trough or try and fill each individual cavity. I think the area where you whack it could be smaller. That is really large. I see the that you've solved the Lee screw problem. That screw may be a good idea on the other bolt as well.

Sorry for the delay but I'll be ordering a couple. I'll need one that I can move from mold to mold and one that stays with a particular favorite. Again, two of the locking screws would be very nice.

Boolit Master

For the locking screw, I would guess that using that could be hard on the mold blocks.

If only you could install a steel sleeve and thread that. Protect the block and all.

Of course, I own no 6 cavity molds, so it may already have something like that. I don't know.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Do you do paypal?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast