RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1, 30-40 Krag

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Ruger #1, 30-40 Krag

I think I am going to buy a Ruger #1 in 30-40 Krag tomorrow. I have been kicking this purchase around for awhile.

I want to make this a cast bullet only rifle for deer hunting.

I have been thinking seriously about a 200 grain cast bullet for this rifle?? What do you guys think about the 200 grain bullet for this rifle and cartridge?? I have about 16# od RL7 on the bench. Any good RL7 loads?? Should I go with a GC bullet??

Just interested in anything you guys might think about the 30-40 Krag?? Thanks, Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    Never seen a #1 in .30-40 Krag, although they did make a few #3s in that flavor. I would definitely choose a gas check boolit, although you can certainly get by with a PB boolit for lighter loads. I think a 200 grain boolit would be just about optimum for the Krag.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    It would be difficult to argue against the 30-40K as a cast bullet cartridge. My #1 Hornet may get rebarreled to the same.

I am not fond of the #1 rifle but the cartridge is wonderful. Only major problem is that the brass is made from unobtainium.

Boolit Master

.30-40 Ruger #3 cast loads

I've been shooting a #3 in .30-40 for more than twenty years, primarily with cast bullets. Last week, trying out several loads, the Lyman #314299 (about 200 grains, wheelweights, sized .310") showed promise with 22 grains Reloder 7. Muzzle velocity = 1600, 1"round group. I intend to load more of these to confirm my only four-shot group at 100 yards was not just luck. As with most of the .30 caliber rifles I have had experience with, the Ruger shoots best with .310" bullets seated to barely engrave. Wheelweight bullets, even with a gas check, lead slightly, but a number of rounds can be fired before accuracy is affected. I have other loads/ bullets in my notes if you're interested.

Boolit Bub
    A few years ago I custom-designed a 210-grain flat-pointed bore-rider with gas check for .30-40. I got advice on the project from Charles Graf, and worked with Dan at Mountain Molds to get the dimensions right. I specifically designed it for a hunting bullet. I can hunt up some pics if you're interested. Dan probably still has the mold specs.

Boolit Buddy
    Special run of .30-40 #1's is now listed as in stock at Cabela's. Look to be premium priced-Circassian walnut? Special high polish blue? Probably not in my budget, anyway--much fun as one would be.

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot a .311" 200gr. LBT LFN with GC over 29 grs. of RL-7. mv is 2150 fps out of my Browning 1895. in my testing RL-15 and IMR3031 were second and third respectively in group size @ the same velocity level.

Boolit Master

I shoot a 311299 sized .311 over 26gr of 4198 and it is scary accurate.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    Special run of .30-40 #1's is now listed as in stock at Cabela's. Look to be premium priced-Circassian walnut? Special high polish blue? Probably not in my budget, anyway--much fun as one would be.

I know. that is why I am discussing this. I am seriously thinking about one. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Grand Master
    I think ANY 30-40 Krag rifle would make an excellent cast boolit hunting rifle. I "passed" on a Rising Sun Repro Win 95 so chambered a couple years ago, and regret that decision greatly.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
    Have you got a link? Thanks.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

None of the ones in the link are as nice as a couple I have seen a couple of guys buy. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Bub
    I have an original mod 95 in 30-40 and I have never had a problem getting brass. I to have been looking at the Cabelas special run.

Jocko

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnjockey View Post
    I have an original mod 95 in 30-40 and I have never had a problem getting brass. I to have been looking at the Cabelas special run.

Jocko
    Where are you getting brass now? A couople months ago, Midway, Buff Arms, Weidner's, etal, had it and now they don"t. I need some.
    Dan

Cast Boolits Owner

Thanks a LOT. You have reignited my #3 and #1 fire. I thought I had worked my way out of them but now I see I have not.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master
    No. 1--

You are in the presence of the largest online group of firearms enablers ever assembled. Don't hold your breath waiting for one of us to caution against the purchase of a fine firearm. But I understand your point--it took months of therapy and lots of prescriptions to get over that 95 repro faux pas, and here the subject comes right up again.

Do ANY of you know how hard it is to find a pshrink that specializes in FSAD (Firearm Seperation Anxiety Disorder)?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I get chills with the very mention of a Ruger #1.

Cast Boolits Owner

Al,

With 3 #3's on hand now (Typecaster has the 4th) and 2 #1's, I know there is no cure. I was just thinking to myself who I can get to rebarrel a #1 to 8x57 and another to 9.3 x 62.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast