Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting jacketed bullets to remove lead

Boolit Master

Wasn't there even the theory of loading the jacket bullets backwards and shooting the lead out?

d

The best advice above is to avoid leading in the first place...
    Highly recommend gas checked bullets when approaching common sense pressure/velocity levels in pistols and ALWAYS in rifle calibers.... never had any leading problems.

Have easily cleared lead in the past for others by treating with Ed's Red or Kroil the night before, then shooting a few gas checked bullets or J bullets (LOW velocity plinker loads only) like FAsmus describes above.

Regular cleaning and storage with Ed's Red, coupled with the appropriate bullet selections will preclude leading in any popular cast caliber... Well, at least in my experience with .38/.357, .41, .44, .45, .30-30, .308, 30-06, .35 rem, 45-70...
    Last edited by pls1911; 07-08-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    For the fourth or so time... A story that's been posted here before, but bears repeating...

30+ years ago a friend of mine showed me a M-28 Smith Highway Patrolman 6 inch that had a bulge in the barrel just ahead of the frame. Here's how it got there.

The revolver belonged to a friend of my friend. He wanted to do some cheap shooting, so he bought some of the Speer swaged lead semi-wadcutters. These bullets are nearly dead-soft lead and are excellent for shooting up to 900 fps or so. Instead of studying their limitations in the Speer reloading manual, he made the assumption that he could shoot full-power .357 Magnum loads with them. After a dozen or so shots, accuracy went out the window. The barrel was heavily leaded and bullets were "squirting" through the remaining opening in the barrel. His shooting buddies that day recommended that he shoot out the lead using a couple of jacketed rounds. The first one treated the leading as a bore obstruction and bulged the barrel.

A very light amount of lead streaking near the muzzle can safely be removed with jacketed loads, but full-length barrel leading should be addressed by other methods.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you use Kroil and soak the bore over night. No chance of messing up anything that way.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    If it works so well why did the 45 revolver I bought last fall have layer upon layer of lead/copper fouling the barrel so bad it took several weeks of soaking to get it all out?
    Veral Smith, a man of considerable experience, recommends getting every trace of copper out of a barrel.

Learning how to clean a barrel is as big a part of accuracy as working up a load or any other aspect of shooting. If it's to much of a choir, maybe you could hire a local kid to clean your guns for you, correctly.

There are two problems.

1. Are you clearing the lead out or just pressing it further into the barrel surface and then covering it in jacket fouling?

2. Jacket bullet fouling is a lot harder to get out than lead fouling!

My rifles get cleaned on two occasions. Before shooting jacketed bullets and after shooting jacketed bullets. Except my M94 and .375 H&H, neither of which ever see a jacketed bullet, they get cleaned once a year. If I think about it.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a deep scientific reason for not running a jacketed bullet through a leaded barrel, other than it seems very darn unsafe to do. Lots of people have done it, and with great success.

Just like dacron wadding for powder-positioning in rifle cases. After my first swelled chamber, I ceased that practice. So, I classify the "jacketed bullet to remove lead deposits" right along with dacron fillers--a fine idea that works well--until it doesn't.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I use lead removal cloth. Simple, easy and safe. Use it rarely when a lube or another "test" goes south. Or when my buddy forces me to try his new, magic concoction. It is easier to comply than listen, forever.

I read something about lead under copper fouling as a no-no, which seems what the Badger break in procedure implies. Don't know about that but still wonder.
    The Dude abides.

Boolit Buddy
    whatever happened to the LEWIS LEAD REMOVER?

Boolit Master
    Some also say to use well fitted very hard cast bullets - they supposedly act the same way as jacketed but without the copper issues. Anyone have any thoughts on this procedure?

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

I cleaned my barrel and my pistol today after three trips to the range.
    So thats about 600 rounds of shooting. I shot HP, SWC, flat point and round nose.
    All different powder charges ( no max loads ) three different hardness of bullets.
    None very, very soft and none very , very hard,
    I didn't even look at the barrel, I just ran a bore brush in and out with a piece of chore boy
    about 5 strokes, and then three clean patches. Barrel shines and is spotless in relation to any leading.
    Well that's a great report from me but does not help anyone
    What may help is to say that my bullets fit MY barrel and my lube works for ME
    My accuracy is what I want.
    I can't help but think in certain situations copper jacket bullets through a badly fouled bore
    could/may create a high pressure problem. Since there are so many folks shooting fire arms that hardly know what end the bullet comes out ( not here I am sure ) I don't recommend it. What I do recommend is to slug the darn bore, shoot the right size bullets and use a lube that works.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I had shot some factory load lead bullets and had fouling. The bullest must of been swag with soft lead. The bullet went alover then I shot some jacket that I load and the leading clear. Then I shot some cast GC bullet I done myself and I had no problem after. The gun shot good.Oh by the way where I learn to shot jacket with leading is from the Lyman cast book. Yes you just make sure that you just donot have leading bad in the first place .Like orthers had pointed out.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    still can't find any chore boy where i live.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    still can't find any chore boy where i live.
    Group Buy!!!!

Seriously.....when I worked for Kimberly-Clark we had these big rolls of copper mesh that we tore pieces from to wipe down polymer extrusion dies. I will see if I can find it, pretty sure it came from McMaster. The stuff looked just like chore boy, and it was like a 200 ft. roll.

Boolit Master

Group Buy!!!!

Seriously.....when I worked for Kimberly-Clark we had these big rolls of copper mesh that we tore pieces from to wipe down polymer extrusion dies. I will see if I can find it, pretty sure it came from McMaster. The stuff looked just like chore boy, and it was like a 200 ft. roll.
    I would be interested in a piece of that.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    I looked last night on the McMaster website and couldn't find it. I will get in touch with one of my friends who still works at KC and get the part#.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    me too!

Boolit Master
    I had to look in both the local supermarket and Wally world, but I finally found it. But be sure you read what it is made from. There are several types that are copper covered steel. And yeah, it'is in the fine print.

There is also some that is made from stainless steel specifically for gun barrels. I saw a thread that was talking about it and got some. It works too. Can't remember the name of it but I suspect someone in here will and say what it is.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Banned

OK, I have gotten the part# for the copper mesh. It is a 100ft. roll. Once I decide how best to go about a group buy, I will place a post in the group buy or site benefit section. I don't want to make any money from the deal, but I wouldn't mind seeing the site make some.

My work schedule is such that I never know for sure when I am going to have time to get by a post office other than Saturday, so I may contact someone else on the site about handling this.

Could somebody who just bought some chore boy please post how much it cost and how big a pad it was?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Here's something related that kind of has blown my mind.
    I shot a CC match yesterday. I usually have a comp'd bbl on my Glock and it has Ballard rifling. No comps for the CC match, so I reached for my stock bbl. Lo and behold, it wasn't cleaned the last time it was used, and has a modest amount of lead in it. Not a lot, but it was enough to make out, all up the bbl to the muzzle.
    So, with nothing else to do, I just shot the match and figured I'd clean it up after....
    Went to clean it up in the evening, and it didn't look like there was any lead in it at all! I could see a bit of powder fouling, but no lead streaks....
    So I used the Lewis Lead rremover. I know I didn't need that tool, but it always saves all the leading on the mesh so I can see it. There was absolutely none!
    I have no explanation....
    It seems I shot leading out with a lead boolit....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast