Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: JULY Submissions - wrong Category/Topic

Boolit Master

JULY Submissions - wrong Category/Topic

I guess I'm just impressed that this came out well. MiHa's

45-270-SAA double cavity HP mold; avg weight was 268.5 grains

I can't wait to see how they shoot out of my Ruger SRH. Enjoy!

HV in SC
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 08-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Pentagonal hollow point. Hum, don't think I've seen that before. Guess it makes sense though -- the thinner joints break more readily, the thicker area lesses the likelihood of the petals breaking off?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Pentagonal hollow point. Hum, don't think I've seen that before. Guess it makes sense though -- the thinner joints break more readily, the thicker area lesses the likelihood of the petals breaking off?
    Hard to believe that someone has been a member since 10/2009 and not peeked into the "Group Buys". If you would look into it you would find .380, 9mm (up to .359" for use in .38's or.357" also) then .430", 453",etc.... They are gorgeous moulds and very reasonably priced. Plus, you get three different sets of pins with it so that you can have a flat head, small HP, or the pentagonal Hp.

EW

Banned

Someone here, I don't remember who at the moment, did some testing for some of Erik Ohlen's modified HP moulds and either made his own pentagonal spuds or had Eric make some. Pretty convincing tests.

Does anybody know who to credit for "inventing" the pentagonal spud?

Gear

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Does anybody know who to credit for "inventing" the pentagonal spud?

Gear

I do not know about the pentagonal spud, but some people were doing this with allen wrench spuds well over a decade ago as they were being sold at local gunshows (MID-Michigan) . They were available in 0.356, .358, .429, and .452 if memory serves. I think they would be most excellent for "VARMINT and VERMIN" rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Hard to believe that someone has been a member since 10/2009 and not peeked into the "Group Buys".
    Indeed, but inapplicable in this case. I've been more focused on WFN/LFN in two-part and heat treated form, with a strong bent towards rifle applications.

There is a remarkable depth to this forum. The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Edit: Question about boolit design -- not even quite sure about the right terminology, but why use a semi-wadcutter style bootlit with a narrower nose e.g. 454424 Modified vs. 453640 PB here? Isn't it an unnecessarily reduction in metplate? My question stems from what I recall from reading on the Gates Extreme Meplat Bullets sticky thread.

Last edited by Dannix; 07-07-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Might want to cast a bit soft for these. I cast some out of straight WW, and for some reason water dropped them, realizing afterward that I probably shouldn't have.

When I shot one through a few water jugs, the 'petals' all tore off -- my boolit was too brittle for this application.

I just moved, but as soon as I get up and running again I'm going to try casting some at different hardness, test them, and report the results.

This booilt is accurate in my Ruger SBH.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Randy, will be interested to see how the petals hold up with whatever alloys you try.

I don't recall how much different it would make, but you can try putting a propane or mapp torch to your boolit noses to soften them. You may not have enough tin for it to matter though, not sure.

Boolit Master

200 g HP results

200 g Mihec 45 acp
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 11-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice. What alloy and hardness/treatment?

AGREE AGREE how hard are those