Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Krag sporter & Lyman # 311284

Boolit Buddy

Krag sporter & Lyman # 311284

Been shooting the 1898 Krag sporter more this year than in the last 20... got on this cast boolit jag via a Gew 88 and now been fooling around with the Krag . I read somewhere that the Lyman # 311284 was designed for the Krag. I been loading this bullet sized to .311 and 20.5 gr AA5744 @ 3.130 ". Neck size only and at this OAL boolit engraves as the round chambers. Shoots as well as most of my jacketed "go to" loads at a fraction of the cost/wear and tear...really enjoy this rifle, especially with this cast boolit hobby...Tedly

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like you've " arrived ", enjoy your rifle and your cast loads with the 284', that is a good bullet for the Krag.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks,
    Ben

Mine likes this bullet too, though I have NOE's version. It casts a .302 diameter nose which is perfect for my .301 bore Krags. A lot of members report the newer 311284s from Lyman producing an undersized nose. One of my Krags is going to Camp Perry for the Vintage match this year, not shooting cast however, I've worked up a load using the 123gr Hornady, .310 diameter, V-Max that's available from Graf's.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 07-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Madsenshooter;
    Doubt I'll be able to go to Camp Perry , but I can hope. This #311284 is an old one that belongs to my Uncle. Probably 40 yrs. old, drops 'em @ .302 at the nose in #2alloy.

311284 is an excellent bullet for the Krag. My old Lyman 2 hole runs. 301 on the nose. I got in on the NEI Clone and my 4 hole runs. 3025 on the nose and .3105 on the body.

I have three Krag sporters and another two in the wings coming my way in a year or two.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    A lot of members report the newer 311284s from Lyman producing and undersized nose.
    I can attest to that! My 1980's vintage 311284 cast .310 on the bands and .301 on the nose. A recent 311299 casts .309 on the bands and .299 on the nose.

Some time ago the P.O. was kind enough to deliver a 92/96 to me broken in two at the wrist. Their insurance paid me the full purchase price and I refused to give up the broken item. The govt owned the darned thing once and surplused it, I wasn't going to give it back to them! Anyway, I managed to find a cracked-at-the-wrist stock with the proper 1895 cartouche, sans forearm (looked like someone took it off with a machete), fixed the crack previously, and last night grafted the forearm from the broken one onto it. The operation was a success and the rifle is now in the recovery room. So now I have two full military 92/96 rifles to play with! I'd give some of my cast loads a try at Camp Perry, but one thing I've noted is that the noses of cast bullets get deformed during rapid fire. By the time you get down to the last one in the magazine, it's pretty smushed.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no trouble with my 311041 in my 1903a3 in rapid fire. They are about 18BHN and only 19grs of SR4759.

Hard boolit, low recoil load, no boolit deformation.