Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 conversion for 45 acp?

I have two of the marvel unit 1 conversions. They are as accurate as any target pistol, period.
    However, if you can get an original Kart conversion that is in top shape, buy it over all others.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I have a Ceiner and have no problems with it running both std and HV rounds. I run a 18 lb. hammer spring in my Mil spec and I suspect that's the reason it runs well with both low and high velocity ammo. Keep in mind part of the recoil is used to cock the hammer so if you are running a stock hammer spring ( I think that's 22-23 lbs) you need more kick from your ammo.
    Fecemech, I've thought about messing with the recoil spring by cutting coils but didn't think that overall it was a good idea. I never thought about the hammer spring. I think I'm going to order me a reduced weight spring and use it with my conversion kit.
    Might be a solution to my reliability problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    I have two of the marvel unit 1 conversions. They are as accurate as any target pistol, period.
    However, if you can get an original Kart conversion that is in top shape, buy it over all others.
    I've heard that the Marvel kits are the "bees knees" when it comes to accurate shooting conversions. I wish I had known that before. Another lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by John 242 View Post
    I've heard that the Marvel kits are the "bees knees" when it comes to accurate shooting conversions. I wish I had known that before. Another lesson learned.
    They are extremely accurate. However, I have seen and fired an original Kart unit and the build quality of this all steel unit is unmatched by anything being made today. They are in another class. Simply beautiful and as accurate as a Marvel any day of the week.

Boolit Master
    One thing I noticed with my Marvel kit, which probably applies to others also, with the aluminum slide. The weight and balance is not there, for serious bullseye shooting. Does not hold like a High Standard or 41 S&W. Accurate enough, but the aluminum slide makes the gun too muzzle light. At least for me it does. They are still great for plinking though!

Boolit Master

I have shot a buddy's kimber 22 conversion extensively, and it wont go thru a mag without jamming with any ammo tried so far. even with the gun properly cleaned and lubed. Hopefully its a one off problem.

I had a Ceiner conversion. Initially it wouldn't feed very reliably. A fella at the club recommended CCI (which of course defeat some of the cost-saving goal of the whole enterprise) and those ran great. After a total of about 1000 rounds break-in through it, it started working reliably with anything. The magazines are too fragile to drop is my only other complaint.

They cost a bit more, but if (probably when) I do it again I'm going to get a Marvel - I was very impressed with the one I shot.

GsT

Boolit Bub
    I own or have owned and shot several of the 22 conversion units for the 1911. My commenmts are as follows:
    Original Colt - all steel, plinker in terms of accuarcy and the floating chamber which fouls up quite easilly is a pain to clean.
    Ciener - aluminum slide, reliable with both SV and HV ammo, same accuarcy evel as the original Colt, slide does not lock back after firing last round, customer service is non-existent (mine was originally shipped with a smoothbore barrel). The original kimber unit was made by Ciener.
    Mavel - I shoot the Unit #1, bullseye level accuracy with SV ammo, requires an extra strength recoil spring for use with HV ammo, totally reliable, alumnum slide does not lock back after firing the last round.
    Jarvis - no longer manufacturted, all steel, designed for HV ammo and functins vest with either remington Golden or CCI MiniMag, slide stays open after firing last round, accuarcy better than original colt but not as good as the Marvel1.
    Tactical Solutions - an i,proved version of the Jarvis unit, all steel, functions reliably with some brands of SV ammo, as well as Federal bulk pack, accuarcy same as Jarvis unit.
    If you want trigger time with yourfavotie 1911 then the 22 conversion unit is a good idea. However, if you want a relatively inexpensive, reliable and accuarte 22 then purchase either a Browning Buckmark or Ruger. For a bit more you can purchase a S&W Model 41 with a great factory trigger.

Colt conversion Unit

Love mine. I can shoot as much as I like and its very reliable. Of course I clean the floating chamber every time when I get home. I lucked out 8 years ago and have $200 in mine. If you get really lucky, you can find one for $350 but its getting harder and harder these says. It has a unique recoil feel but it is a welcome feel.

Boolit Buddy

Marvel longslide

You may not know it but Marvel offers a longslide .
    I have one and it "hangs" most beautifully !!
    I use it in local Bullseye matches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12