WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman Easy Loader press?

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Easy Loader press?

One on eBay. Looks as if the dies are pressed down over the shell on a solid shell holder? I'd guess uses J-type shell holders, by the look?

Do I assume they had no success with it? This is the first one I've seen.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Assume you refer to the shotshell press? It uses no shell holders at all, doesn't need to.

It was a very good press targeted at the low to moderate volume loader. That turned out to be too small a market for it to survive more than a few years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wayne, the EZ-Loader press for loading metallic cartridges seems to have been an outgrowth or evolutionary development of the older Ideal Armory Press that it resembles. It does indeed use J-type shell holders, but they are specially cut on the shank for the priming mechanism which is under the "deck" of the loader. Also, each caliber requires a separate shell holder for each of the stations (3, IIRC) You are right, it was apparently not a very popular item for them, far outsold by the TruLine Jr. BTW, It may also be seen a variant called the TruLine press or maybe even the TruLine Senior, hence the TL Jr designation. Maybe pressman or somebody will chime in with more details and to correct the errors I'm sure I must have made.

Froggie

Banned
    Froggie, you have it correct. The Tru-Line is a modernized version of the Armory press dating to 1935. After WWII Lyman brought out their little turret press thus the Jr and Sr designations. The Senior was again modenized, this time to take a less complicated die system.
    Eary presses are cast iron but the most commly seen are aluminum. There are three die stations, the rear, center station is for full length sizing. A special, 7/8-14 die is required as it has to thread in from the bottom. The fron two stations are also 7/8-14 but are on "ears" protruding from the frame. They can break so light use like priming and bullet seating is best done here.
    Priming was a box mounted along side the press feeding into the right front shellholder. A spring operater gate is incorporated into the shellholder to control feed. "J" shellholders are used throughout.

Interestingly each press came in a steel "tool" box. Early ones were vertical with a top open lid, later ones had a horizontial opening lid.
    It is a decent press, but awkward to use and costly to produce so it did not last long. It was replaced with the Comet and All American presses.

Lyman also sold an Ezy Loader shotgun loading tool system that may be as complicated and awkward to use.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I think this might be what you are talking about.
    I bought this one for $10 as a curiosity. All I know about is what Pressman says above. I can add that it is abouts as useless a press as you will ever find. Thought I could find a use for it but so far nothing.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

That's the one. Thanks, guys, I've taken it off my list.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I think with some specialized tooling, it would make a hella nice nut cracker....
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

I know it is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in and show you what they looked like with the metal box.

Duck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EZY1.jpg   EZY2.jpg   EZY3.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Interestitng press.

Cool idea and good marketing with the metal storage box.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned
    Denverduck's press is an early example. it has an iron frame and uses a top opening box.
    Dragon rider shows a second model press with an aluminum frame, these came in a side opening box like a traditional tool box.
    Yet another variation has an aluminum frame but adds scalloped contours to the two front die stations allowing greater clearance.
    These presses use a special J shellholder with a spring gate to control primer flow from the optional primer magazine. Some early shellholders have the extra cut required by the magazine but without the gate. They can be a pain to use.
    These presses do use 7/8-14 dies though the rear, center die is the sizing die and is special made because of the reduced clearance. It looks like an up-side down die.

Famous Castboolit contributor Floodgate nicknamed this press the Quezy Loader because of its many eccentricities.
    They were made from 1947 till 1955 and possible a bit longer.
    Ken

I got one from a guy 25 years ago. It is nothing more than a paper weight.
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Archeological dig time,

There is one on Craigslist in Toledo, Ohio for someone who is looking for a Father's Day suggestion for the kids

https://toledo.craigslist.org/spo/d/...141059340.html

Better than that paisley tie.......

But I do still wear the Bugs Bunny tie my daughter got me 20+ years ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Archeological dig time,

There is one on Craigslist in Toledo, Ohio for someone who is looking for a Father's Day suggestion for the kids

Better than that paisley tie.......

But I do still wear the Bugs Bunny tie my daughter got me 20+ years ago.
    If you want it as a collectible and curiosity, the price is certainly acceptable. If you’re looking for something to load on, the design brings more challenges than rewards, IMHO.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    That's an early steel frame press and a very good price. If you want one to use, this is the one to have.

Boolit Master
    I have only seen a few primer feeders on eBay and they ran $30-50 alone.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That's an early steel frame press and a very good price. If you want one to use, this is the one to have.

Almost lean towards the paisley tie, already have enough old reloading stuff piled in the shed that the concrete floor is showing cracks.

Somebody here in NW Ohio, SE Michigan NEEDS this.

Just not me.

Still there......

And no, I have no idea who it belongs, just don't want to see old cool reloading stuff go into the dumpster. (but still don't need it on my pile either)
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-23-2020 at 11:03 PM.