RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Tac1 temps

Boolit Buddy

Tac1 temps

Tac1 how cold will it go with no cold bore flyers? it is now -16 here!!!!! or do i just stay in and not hunt?

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends. I don't use that lube but I can tell you that my Marlin 45-70 doesn't show cold barrel flyers at any temp I have shot it yet my 32-20 does at temps under 50.

My personal opinion is that the fatter and heavier a bullet is the less it is affected by cold barrel flyers.

Only way to know for sure is to shoot a few groups in cold weather. Most of my cold barrel flyers were an inch or two out at 100, not enough to miss a deer by any means. If you are hunting squirrels, good luck.

At 40 and below I am getting some squirrely first shot fliers. As the barrel warms up the groups tighten up. This is with a 223 AR around 2400 fps. In warmer weather it works great.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I will be using in a 44 mag rifle.......

Boolit Master

I'm having problems with my right hand trigger finger in the extreme cold so I have not been able to shoot much in -10 & -20 this year, it goes completely numb. I'm shooting good Bullseye 22 but it is inside.
    In the past I did not see extreme cold barrel fliers using TAC1. Using the 44 mag there should be no problems. I do not know about the 5.56 there are so many variables, that teeny weenie bullet screaming down that coooold barrel could be a problem, a lot of "depends".

Boolit Grand Master
    44 mag should be fine.

223 I would expect to have issues like no other.

Like I said, I find it to be caliber and bullet weight related, these two examples are on the extreme ends of things.

It was really interesting. I went to the range on christmas eve with temps in the mid 40's and a slight breeze. I was shooting 5 shot groups at 100 yds with each shot coming as soon as I could get set back on target. First three shots were about 3/4", fourth shot opened up to an inch and the fifth shot would be high with a group about 1 1/2". It did this consistently.

On christmas day I shot again with the same exact loads but this time temps were in mid 30's with a little stiffer breeze. The first shot would be about 2" from poa, second shot would be an inch or so out and then the next three would group right where I wanted.

I can only figure that as the barrel warmed up the lube started working better. This has happened on three different trips in the last month.

With the 30-30 temp doesn't seem to make much difference.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!