MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1555565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1383

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    The coating is a little splotchy even with 3 thin coats. I have coated some so they have a solid color on them but they size harder than the thin coated boolits. Also added a couple of thousands to the diameter. Donnie says his have areas like the lube grooves and at the base of the nose on the swc boolits that is not covered and that is ok.
    As long as the coating won't rub off with acetone you should be good. Load and shoot!
    G'day. That is exactly how my 45 SWC bullets come out. This means you are not using too much coating.

If you have coating in the groove, you are using too much.
    T.C.
    It really doesn't matter if the colour is a bit different from one bullet to another, so long as they has the smash test and the coating stays on.

I fire 200 45ACP coated today in both SWC and RN with microgrooves. barrel is clean. push a patch wet with solvent through and the shine in the barrel is blinding.

I do 2 coats at 195Deg C for 10 minutes. pre-warm oven first.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    Thanks Frankv! the silver color is a nice "stealthy" application.
    ABQ I don't know if you have tried the silicone but when you try it you won't use anything else.Two coats ,excellent coverage.Cast size 380/102 grain .357/coated size .360.Sizing was effortless,no lube/very little co friction. No smoke ,no lead. This is my preferred method,throw out the HF PC. Use the silicone.Three teaspoons did 1000 380;s
    Forgot to mention "Piglet method of application"
    I'm going to crony the HF PC and Silicone. The silicone is slick in the sizing, gotta be quicker.
    Last edited by Frankv; 06-23-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by Frankv View Post
    ABQ I don't know if you have tried the silicone but when you try it you won't use anything else.Two coats ,excellent coverage.Cast size 380/102 grain .357/coated size .360.Sizing was effortless,no lube/very little co friction. No smoke ,no lead. This is my preferred method,throw out the HF PC. Use the silicone.Three teaspoons did 1000 380;s
    Excellent news, thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to mention "Piglet method of application"
    I'm going to crony the HF PC and Silicone. The silicone is slick in the sizing, gotta be quicker.
    Interesting indeed! Have you done several batches, to confirm consistency? (I'm guessing you will soon, if not already.)

I'll be interested in the details, although I'm currently learning Hi-Tek. I don't remember reading if you've used that before, but I'll go back and look.

Stan

Please start another thread so this info does not get mixed up here in this monstrosity!
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Bub
    I have never used Hi-Tek.
    Originally I tried HF PC, worked, but difficult to work with.
    This silicone powder is simple ,cost effective and the finished product looks an works great. I am currently casting and coating 1k of 125 9mm.
    My original 380's I did 150 and I was so impressed that I did 1000 and they all exceeded my expectations.
    The most impressive part is the HF PC finished coated .360 102gr had to be lubed to be sized,the silicone coated at .360 finish coat effortlessly sized at .356 with no lube.These have a slick feel to them,but a hard finish.they don't stick to the alloy pan that i bake them on.This is cheap,fast and efficient.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Please start another thread so this info does not get mixed up here in this monstrosity!
    Not a bad idea... particularly if it performs well, and appears consistent and repeatable. This sounds to good to be true, however, and we know where those ideas usually end up. Seems like there's gotta be a downside. Barrel life, accuracy, dunno.

Seems like some major player has surely tried this...

Boolit Bub
    Probably some of the Bullet coaters in Aus, and Europe already use these products.. Accuracy based on sizing. I'll keep looking for the negatives.Coefficient of friction considerably less than copper(FMJ)

Boolit Bub
    I have never used Hi-Tek.
    Originally I tried HF PC, worked, but difficult to work with.
    This silicone powder is simple ,cost effective and the finished product looks an works great. I am currently casting and coating 1k of 125 9mm.
    My original 380's I did 150 and I was so impressed that I did 1000 and they all exceeded my expectations.
    The most impressive part is the HF PC finished coated .360 102gr had to be lubed to be sized,the silicone coated at .360 finish coat effortlessly sized at .356 with no lube.These have a slick feel to them,but a hard finish.they don't stick to the alloy pan that i bake them on.This is cheap,fast and efficient.
    Very good news!!

I wonder why this earlier HFPC needed lube when sizing?
    The black PC I am using (Inerta Epoxy) is very slick, no lube needed and sizing is much easier than with lubed lead bullets.

I am sure somebody is going to try this silicone thing with rifle velocities.
    Nice to see if it works with those too.

Is this silicone-PC the one that is copper colored?

Boolit Bub
    The one thing that really impressed me was the two coat process.The one I used was brushed bronze.The product actually sticks to the bullet.I am going to try a single coat. Cure is 20 Min @ 425 Deg F. I'm sure some of the commercial products are based on these high end polymer silicone PC.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Very good news!!

I wonder why this earlier HFPC needed lube when sizing?
    The black PC I am using (Inerta Epoxy) is very slick, no lube needed and sizing is much easier than with lubed lead bullets.

I am sure somebody is going to try this silicone thing with rifle velocities.
    Nice to see if it works with those too.

Is this silicone-PC the one that is copper colored?
    I'm pretty sure that when someone figures out Tensile(pressure)and elasticity(centrifugal force) for a cast rifle bullet,a coating will be found to to meet the spec. These silicone PC's meet temp and hardness.

Boolit Bub
    I'm pretty sure that when someone figures out Tensile(pressure)and elasticity(centrifugal force) for a cast rifle bullet,a coating will be found to to meet the spec. These silicone PC's meet temp and hardness.
    Yes, but then comes another problem, the lead disintegrates.

Happened to me earlier when I was experimenting with .224 bullets and a .22 jacket maker.
    That thin jacket could not always hold the soft lead.

So I do not think any polymer coating could.

But I hope it is not so.

Frankv - is it anything like this stuff? Powdura High Heat Powder Coatings are a thermosetting silixane powder coating. A lot of the high temp stuff is ceramic based, not sure if I want to put that through my bbl.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Check this out!

They seem to be the manufacturer of both epoxies and silicone powders.

http://forrestpaint.com/powder-coati...owder-coating/

"High Temp Powder Coatings - 1PC-653-Series. This true high-temperature silicone system was developed from a proprietary blend of resins and pigments to provide service up to 1200°F (650°C). "

They have this Brushed bronze 1PC-653-8083 and many, many others.

They have also liquid hi-temp coatings/paints

Boolit Bub
    The one I am using is silicone Polyester.
    http://www.google.com/patents/US4608421
    As you can see there is no mention of "Ceramic"
    I think some high heat powders are referred to as ceramic, that could be marketing.They would have to be impregnated with ceramic, and the copolymer would be the carrier that chemically thermosets. The temp rating would still be dependent on the rating of the thermoset product.

Boolit Bub
    Called Forrest paint this am. Confirmed no ceramics in powder. Rated to 1200 Deg
    Black 50 LB 11.82 LB
    Black 5 LB 18.42 LB
    Colors 50 LB 14.95 LB
    Colors 5 LB 20.67 LB
    Real nice people to talk to.

Boolit Mold
    My only concern about all of the home made coating would be from a health issue. If you're using something that has not been tested how do you know if you're not doing harm to your lungs?

Boolit Bub
    Steel begins to glow faintly red at about 600 degrees celsius. A very slight red color may be visible below this temperature if the light is dim enough.
    So this commercial coating is rated to 1200 Degrees(600C) So when the barrel turns Red,stop shooting.This coating is used on gas grilles, so it must be VOC friendly.
    The MSDS will tell all.

Once cured the poly/epoxy (dust) is only an irritant, not toxic. No smoke on firing, unlike LLA or others. Don't see a problem. Ceramic is NOT always that hard glass like stuff. I was thinking of a lot of the brake & exhaust paints, which are ceramic. Powdura is a sherwin-williams product - I need to call and see if it is locally on the shelf. Forrest web site says air shipping only.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Steel begins to glow faintly red at about 600 degrees celsius. ....So when the barrel turns Red,stop shooting.

Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1555565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast