RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersPBcastco
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1383

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Next question, or two. Has anyone tried mixing HBN with PC, and are you sizing them like cast, or more like jacketed? Thanks.

Boolit Bub

Piglet Bullet Lube Process

I have been watching this thread for about a week.Had PC and acetone in the shop,went to goodwill and picked up a 6 buck toaster oven.
    I was casting 102 grain .356 for my 380 today,so I piglet coated 50 pcs, 3 coats acetone,PC/3-1 Ratio/12 minutes @ 400F after each coat.Sized to .356 lee sizer.look good, I will goo to the range and try them.
    I used Parchment paper with a light coat of spray lube to set the boolits on,it smoked a little bit the first coat,then no smoke,and they never got stuck.
    This really does make sense,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil  brinell.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	72427

PC is 2H-3H hardness

Thanks Piglet

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Range report:

Fired 100 rounds with Piglet Coat. Much less smoke. Left the gun cleaner than usual with no lube/carbon paste coating the feed ramp. Accuracy didn't seem any different than normal. No leading. I'm declaring Piglet Coat a winner!

I nominate Piglet for the lube innovator of the year.
    I'll second that

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Next question, or two. Has anyone tried mixing HBN with PC, and are you sizing them like cast, or more like jacketed? Thanks.
    Haven't tried mixing hBN with PC. Don't see the need. They size very easily in a Lee sizer (anyone want to buy a RCBS Lubrasizer!)

I sized mine like cast (oversized to .358" for my 9mm). That might make a good experiment down the road, though .358" is working, so why mess with success

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I'm declaring Piglet Coat a winner!

I nominate Piglet for the lube innovator of the year.
    A bit premature, don't you think?

The HI-TEK Supercoat is a great coating. easy to use. proven performance in pistol and rifle loads for over 20 years. Now available to the DIY caster who wants only the best. Certified by independent Lab testing to reduce airborne lead to levels less than copper plated bullets.

One has to wonder... If HI-TEK Supercoat is no good, why is Bayou bullets always sold out as soon as a shipment arrives?

I would like to see a few of the PC bullets smashed with a hammer to see if the PC holds on to the lead like the Supercoat does.

Thanks.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

First of all, I don't think anyone said Supercoat was no good. Problem is, here in the States, availability has been spotty at best. That alone makes it a no go for me. My buddy contacted HI-TEK, and he told him to go through Donnie. My buddy on supposedly on Donnie's preferred list to get the Supercoat and he hasn't gotten a call. It's just not a good option. We have a supply problem with a lot of things in the gun world in America, but PC isn't one of them. Horrible Freight has it all day long, and there are countless others. The same method is used to apply PC as Supercoat, so I don't know what your point is there. You like it, great, you can get it, great. We can't.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    On your last point there......availability.......no we can't get it, HI-Tek only sells it in 20 liter drums locally....much to expensive for the home caster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

1 pound of powder is about $8.
    1 quart of acetone is about $8.
    Not having to wait for your bullet coating to arrive from Australia, priceless...
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

There is however no doubt in my mind that the hi-tek coating is a superior product.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Did You get leading from Your PC pistol- or riflebullets or both? I get leading from incomplete coated or shaved coating rifle or pistol CBs, doesn't take much. If uncoated lube grooves surface touches the bbl, you will get some leading. olaf455 - haven't used HI-Tek but think I agree with you. When it is not unobtanium, I might try some. So far in my testing, the HF rig is cheap, works & I have the equipment. I don't shoot 223 or games, my moulds are all FP & rifles are 1:10 twist so I'll never see the 223 velocities. I am attempting to get a good 1800-2000 fps 100 yd target/hunting load without GC in 30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some HI-TEk back in stock and have left messages or sent e-mails to all of whom I had on the waiting list.
    Should anyone else wish to place order please contact me, phone or e-mail is best.
    Thanks
    Donnie
    bayoubullets@yahoo.com
    225-324-4501

Boolit Bub
    As a follow up to my previous post ,here are a few of the 102's cast yesterday and coated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	72458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	72459

I am happy with the results, will be going to the range later on.Engineering wise I understand the discussion re: Supercote vs other methods. in reality we are trying to encapsulate the lead in a product that insulates the lead from the barrel. Obviously there has been a lot of people on this forum trying various methods. I personally want a method that works ,and that I have some control of availability. When I am in my shop and their are a couple of 1 LB containers of PC from another project, that,s pretty available. I followed Piglets procedure and it was painless and rather quick. If this now proves out(shooting,leading,accuracy) the way others have stated, I will adopt this and do my own testing and evaluation as I go along.
    I want to thank everybody on this thread, a lot of time and effort was put in by many.

Boolit Bub
    The areas in my above post that look uncoated are reflections from the shiny areas caused by sizing, they came out fully coated. I did a hammer test. Looked good to me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    ... If uncoated lube grooves surface touches the bbl, you will get some leading. ...
    Those bullets that had some PC missing from the grooves, it was just partly the bottoms of the grooves. Lead did not touch the rifling, so no problems. The reason then was too thick mixture.

Since I am not selling anything, I think that everybody should use just the bullet coating method he or she is happy with.
    Happy with the availability, ease of use, pot life, cost and naturally also how well it hinders the bullet from leading the barrel.

I do not know yet what the HI-Tek actually is, I suppose it consists mainly of some industrial 2-component paint, resin or glue, but it would be really nice to know if those 3200 ft/s and no leading without GC, is true or just some sales mantra.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I will thin it out a little more next time.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Molder

I did a little fishing around on the makeup of PC.A lot of colors are derived from different iron oxides,which could make those colors abrasive,maybe? Blacks are colored with carbon black, which has some of the same lubricant qualities as graphite.
    Gold contains copper and carbon black.
    You can verify this by pulling up the MSDS forms for DuPont powder coating.
    The polymer is Bisphenol A which is a food grade polymer.
    The HF PC is epoxy which makes it less elastic.

you found MSDS or data on this? Do you have a link? Best I could find in limited research was it was not an epoxy.
    Whatever!

Pig how much in your guesstimate would a 16 oz. container of HF PC actually coat?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Hey guys. 2 points

1) I am avidly following this thread and appreciate the info greatly.

2) I like parallell innovation. I like choices. I like more than one supply stream. Let's pre-empt any stupid "I'm a ford guy/I'm a chevy guy" nonsense. If piglet method (or others) work- great. Let't get all the info on that and refine it to an art. Ditto Wiederlander's version (MCC) with two part epoxy paint. Ditto Hi-Tek. Nothing wrong with Hi-tek making a profit or extolling the virtues of his method, and he has been good about suppluying technical info on how to make competing methods work. If he points out potential problems, that's OK too, so long as he is not baselessly attacking competitors. I appreciate Piglet's info, but some of his hostility toward Hi-tek is counterproductive. Thanks to both of them for their contributions, now let's get back to innovation.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    you found MSDS or data on this? Do you have a link? Best I could find in limited research was it was not an epoxy.
    Check this link and read the whole page:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-p...low-93308.html

They seem to have black and red and white too.

It says:

Name 16 Oz. Powder Coat Paint, Yellow
    SKU 93308
    Color Yellow
    Material Plastic Container, Epoxy Resin Powder
    Product Length 4-1/4 in.
    Product Width 4-1/4 in.
    Size(s) 16 oz.

Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast