MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersPBcastcoInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Banned

Krylon Fusion contains a solvent that etches plastic, that's how it adheres to the slick stuff. It has no benefits over conventional acrylic paints for boolits as far as I can see, but I think there are a lot of products in aerosol cans that do.

I'll even give you one: Amsoil brand "heavy duty metal protector and motorcycle chain lube". Basically a thin version of LLA in a spray can, and it costs about eight bucks for 18 net ounces, and it dries like 45/45/10 making it simple to use and second only to White Label's X-lox in economy.

Gear

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using regular old krylon spray paint?

I remember seeing a comment somwhere about a guy spraypainting some of his boolits to appease a particular range's "No bare lead" rules but I don't think anything was said about the performance of such boolits.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Krylon Fusion contains a solvent that etches plastic, that's how it adheres to the slick stuff. It has no benefits over conventional acrylic paints for boolits as far as I can see, but I think there are a lot of products in aerosol cans that do.

I'll even give you one: Amsoil brand "heavy duty metal protector and motorcycle chain lube". Basically a thin version of LLA in a spray can, and it costs about eight bucks for 18 net ounces, and it dries like 45/45/10 making it simple to use and second only to White Label's X-lox in economy.

Gear

Just look this up on the internet sounds perfect, have you used this before?

Boolit Master
    I just had a thought. At the auto parts stores , they sell vinel paint for painting seats and things. Might work??
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

with this new poly paint,,, lube,,,,

I feel like I didn't get, get the Invite to the party,,,

now I feel silly,,, that the Guys in the UK... and eastern block countries,, have them,, and we are still in the Wax,,, era,,

Boolit Grand Master

morrisammo, don't feel too badly. The guys overseas have to paint there boolits so they are real purty to look at on the shelf.

We just shove ours in a case and send them downrange.

well Ok I feel a bit better,,

I was shooting my own 12 Lyman 525 slugs this weekend,,,

Getting ready for the RM3G

ya baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy

http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

but these ones are very nice!!!!

not just clear coat,,,

Banned

OK, I stand corrected, its a 16-ounce can. I thought it was 18 because the can is larger than a conventional can of spray paint.

Anyway, the stuff does a marvelous job, it's just not quite as easy to get an even coat as it is with 45-45-10, and it does work better if you just stand the boolits up on their bases in rows and mist them, the Amsoil HD has a quick-drying solvent that stays with the lube just long enough for it to sheet off of the noses but collect in the lube grooves and driving bands. One coat after sizing is bueno.

I'm still looking for a harder, non-sticky, non-tacky, non-smearing dry boolit lube, something like the powder coat or spray paint. Sooner or later somebody here is going to figure this out!

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

gearnasher, did you shoot any of the boolits with the Amsoil on them? Does it dry to a non tacky surface?

A friend told me of a bullet caster that sells coated bullets in the states here. www.blackbulletsinternational.com They have some interesting comments on the use of the Lee factory crimp die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    OK, I stand corrected, its a 16-ounce can. I thought it was 18 because the can is larger than a conventional can of spray paint.

Anyway, the stuff does a marvelous job, it's just not quite as easy to get an even coat as it is with 45-45-10, and it does work better if you just stand the boolits up on their bases in rows and mist them, the Amsoil HD has a quick-drying solvent that stays with the lube just long enough for it to sheet off of the noses but collect in the lube grooves and driving bands. One coat after sizing is bueno.

I'm still looking for a harder, non-sticky, non-tacky, non-smearing dry boolit lube, something like the powder coat or spray paint. Sooner or later somebody here is going to figure this out!

Gear
    Look up Defend metal protector. It comes in a spray can. I've used it on boolits. It works fine, looks and smells like LLA. Dries a bit better, though, depending how thick you spray it on. On of the companies I do contract work for gave me a bunch of it, so I don't know what it costs
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Man
    http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

If someone had access to a Gas chromathograph. We could order some of these and reverse engineer what the substnace was that was on it.

Boolit Master

Painted bullets?

In the old days i preferred painted ladies not bullets LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    gearnasher, did you shoot any of the boolits with the Amsoil on them? Does it dry to a non tacky surface?

A friend told me of a bullet caster that sells coated bullets in the states here. www.blackbulletsinternational.com They have some interesting comments on the use of the Lee factory crimp die.
    The stuff leaves a waxy residue on the nose and around the case mouth when the boolits are seated, no big deal if you use the folded towel/mineral spirits/see-saw cleaning trick, but it can build up in the seating die. It's not tacky when dry, but can get a little flaky. This stuff works best with micro-groove boolits, and it shoots fine with little smoke.

I checked the MSDS of the Amsoil HD spray and compared it to liquid Alox, found some similarities, but the base "sludge" is a slightly different wax.

Gear

here is a pic of the hawkeburry river boolits from Australia
    sold here as Blackhawkes I don't know what they are coated with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0978_00.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Man that looks like automotive paint to me. BUT.....????
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    I wonder why they only sell these coated or painted bullets in other countries, I haven't seen any of these coated or painted bullets in the USA. I have seen a lot of the moly/poly bullets, but nothing like these.

It doesn't seem like anyone in the USA knows what this paint coating is.

I would like to get some of theses bullets to test out and to try to figure out what this coating is.

Does anyone know where I could get some of theses bullets in the USA or have some of my boolits coated?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    That looks, well, awful. Like a really cheap plastic nerf knockoff.

No wonder they don't sell them in the US. We're too fashion conscious.

http://www.arrowmark.com.au/projecti...buryriver.aspx
    try this website it calls the coating "Hytek supercoating"

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast