Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionADvertise here
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Graf & SonsStainLess Steel Media

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 1381

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

  1. #81
    Anti-Socialist Texan


    geargnasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    29˚6827N, 99˚1207W
    Posts
    14,660
    Krylon Fusion contains a solvent that etches plastic, that's how it adheres to the slick stuff. It has no benefits over conventional acrylic paints for boolits as far as I can see, but I think there are a lot of products in aerosol cans that do.

    I'll even give you one: Amsoil brand "heavy duty metal protector and motorcycle chain lube". Basically a thin version of LLA in a spray can, and it costs about eight bucks for 18 net ounces, and it dries like 45/45/10 making it simple to use and second only to White Label's X-lox in economy.

    Gear
    You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something. --Stephen Adams

    To universalize one's experience and state it as the norm is always thin ice on which to stand.--CharGar

    Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities. --Bwana


  2. #82
    Boolit Master 30CAL-TEXAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Angelo
    Posts
    198
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using regular old krylon spray paint?

    I remember seeing a comment somwhere about a guy spraypainting some of his boolits to appease a particular range's "No bare lead" rules but I don't think anything was said about the performance of such boolits.

  3. #83
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Ky
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Krylon Fusion contains a solvent that etches plastic, that's how it adheres to the slick stuff. It has no benefits over conventional acrylic paints for boolits as far as I can see, but I think there are a lot of products in aerosol cans that do.

    I'll even give you one: Amsoil brand "heavy duty metal protector and motorcycle chain lube". Basically a thin version of LLA in a spray can, and it costs about eight bucks for 18 net ounces, and it dries like 45/45/10 making it simple to use and second only to White Label's X-lox in economy.

    Gear

    Just look this up on the internet sounds perfect, have you used this before?

  4. #84
    Generous Donator
    buck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SOUTH WEST
    Posts
    2,143
    I just had a thought. At the auto parts stores , they sell vinel paint for painting seats and things. Might work??
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

    ----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

  5. #85
    Boolit Buddy morrisammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood Texas
    Posts
    58
    with this new poly paint,,, lube,,,,

    I feel like I didn't get, get the Invite to the party,,,

    now I feel silly,,, that the Guys in the UK... and eastern block countries,, have them,, and we are still in the Wax,,, era,,

  6. #86
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,120
    morrisammo, don't feel too badly. The guys overseas have to paint there boolits so they are real purty to look at on the shelf.

    We just shove ours in a case and send them downrange.

  7. #87
    Boolit Buddy morrisammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood Texas
    Posts
    58
    well Ok I feel a bit better,,

    I was shooting my own 12 Lyman 525 slugs this weekend,,,

    Getting ready for the RM3G

    ya baby!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #88
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    261

  9. #89
    Boolit Buddy morrisammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Hood Texas
    Posts
    58
    http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english


    but these ones are very nice!!!!

    not just clear coat,,,

  10. #90
    Anti-Socialist Texan


    geargnasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    29˚6827N, 99˚1207W
    Posts
    14,660
    OK, I stand corrected, its a 16-ounce can. I thought it was 18 because the can is larger than a conventional can of spray paint.

    Anyway, the stuff does a marvelous job, it's just not quite as easy to get an even coat as it is with 45-45-10, and it does work better if you just stand the boolits up on their bases in rows and mist them, the Amsoil HD has a quick-drying solvent that stays with the lube just long enough for it to sheet off of the noses but collect in the lube grooves and driving bands. One coat after sizing is bueno.

    I'm still looking for a harder, non-sticky, non-tacky, non-smearing dry boolit lube, something like the powder coat or spray paint. Sooner or later somebody here is going to figure this out!

    Gear
    You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something. --Stephen Adams

    To universalize one's experience and state it as the norm is always thin ice on which to stand.--CharGar

    Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities. --Bwana


  11. #91
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,120
    gearnasher, did you shoot any of the boolits with the Amsoil on them? Does it dry to a non tacky surface?

    A friend told me of a bullet caster that sells coated bullets in the states here. www.blackbulletsinternational.com They have some interesting comments on the use of the Lee factory crimp die.

  12. #92
    Boolit Master

    softpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bryan-College Station Tx
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    OK, I stand corrected, its a 16-ounce can. I thought it was 18 because the can is larger than a conventional can of spray paint.

    Anyway, the stuff does a marvelous job, it's just not quite as easy to get an even coat as it is with 45-45-10, and it does work better if you just stand the boolits up on their bases in rows and mist them, the Amsoil HD has a quick-drying solvent that stays with the lube just long enough for it to sheet off of the noses but collect in the lube grooves and driving bands. One coat after sizing is bueno.

    I'm still looking for a harder, non-sticky, non-tacky, non-smearing dry boolit lube, something like the powder coat or spray paint. Sooner or later somebody here is going to figure this out!

    Gear
    Look up Defend metal protector. It comes in a spray can. I've used it on boolits. It works fine, looks and smells like LLA. Dries a bit better, though, depending how thick you spray it on. On of the companies I do contract work for gave me a bunch of it, so I don't know what it costs
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

  13. #93
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Ky
    Posts
    74
    http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

    If someone had access to a Gas chromathograph. We could order some of these and reverse engineer what the substnace was that was on it.

  14. #94
    Boolit Master
    Shooter6br's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warminster Pa. ( North of Filthydelphia)
    Posts
    1,798

    Painted bullets?

    In the old days i preferred painted ladies not bullets LOL

  15. #95
    Anti-Socialist Texan


    geargnasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    29˚6827N, 99˚1207W
    Posts
    14,660
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    gearnasher, did you shoot any of the boolits with the Amsoil on them? Does it dry to a non tacky surface?

    A friend told me of a bullet caster that sells coated bullets in the states here. www.blackbulletsinternational.com They have some interesting comments on the use of the Lee factory crimp die.
    The stuff leaves a waxy residue on the nose and around the case mouth when the boolits are seated, no big deal if you use the folded towel/mineral spirits/see-saw cleaning trick, but it can build up in the seating die. It's not tacky when dry, but can get a little flaky. This stuff works best with micro-groove boolits, and it shoots fine with little smoke.

    I checked the MSDS of the Amsoil HD spray and compared it to liquid Alox, found some similarities, but the base "sludge" is a slightly different wax.

    Gear
    You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something. --Stephen Adams

    To universalize one's experience and state it as the norm is always thin ice on which to stand.--CharGar

    Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities. --Bwana


  16. #96
    Boolit Master smlekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    279
    here is a pic of the hawkeburry river boolits from Australia
    sold here as Blackhawkes I don't know what they are coated with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0978_00.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	24159  

  17. #97
    Generous Donator
    buck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SOUTH WEST
    Posts
    2,143
    Man that looks like automotive paint to me. BUT.....????
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

    ----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

  18. #98
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    here is a pic of the hawkeburry river boolits from Australia
    sold here as Blackhawkes I don't know what they are coated with
    I wonder why they only sell these coated or painted bullets in other countries, I haven't seen any of these coated or painted bullets in the USA. I have seen a lot of the moly/poly bullets, but nothing like these.

    It doesn't seem like anyone in the USA knows what this paint coating is.

    I would like to get some of theses bullets to test out and to try to figure out what this coating is.

    Does anyone know where I could get some of theses bullets in the USA or have some of my boolits coated?

  19. #99
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,364
    Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    here is a pic of the hawkeburry river boolits from Australia
    sold here as Blackhawkes I don't know what they are coated with
    That looks, well, awful. Like a really cheap plastic nerf knockoff.

    No wonder they don't sell them in the US. We're too fashion conscious.

  20. #100
    Boolit Master smlekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    279
    http://www.arrowmark.com.au/projecti...buryriver.aspx
    try this website it calls the coating "Hytek supercoating"

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check