Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Master
    He is not a manufacturer, just a guy with a youtube channel who made up his own formula through experimentation. If you as a professional see strange steps in his procedure it is likely because he is just an average guy using off the shelf components from stores using a less than rigorous scientific method to put it together.

Most of your questions where also answered in the video, tbh it looks to me like you seem to be attacking this guy and trying to make it sounds like there's something fishy going on here. I would reconsider such a strategy, it never works and always backfires.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    He is not a manufacturer, just a guy with a youtube channel who made up his own formula through experimentation. If you as a professional see strange steps in his procedure it is likely because he is just an average guy using off the shelf components from stores using a less than rigorous scientific method to put it together.

Most of your questions where also answered in the video, tbh it looks to me like you seem to be attacking this guy and trying to make it sounds like there's something fishy going on here. I would reconsider such a strategy, it never works and always backfires.

From my recollections, this person previously released a video, where he claimed to have spent large amounts of money to develop a coating & process.
    He stated he did not want money but wanted members for his blog site, and, he was going to release 4-5 videos with method, coating details, and coating methods and formulations.
    No such videos emerged.
    Then on the 15th May, a new video was released, and, it certainly appears that the first video details were not as advised.
    The video released on the 15th, now showed not his coating but a commercial two pack epoxy with additives he used.
    I am wondering why it was claimed, that he spent large amounts of moneys to develop these coatings? If I am correct, the coatings are certainly not his invention, and belong to another company.
    Throwing small amounts of stuff into it, and coating projectiles cannot be accepted as being proposed, as "being developed at great expense".
    Examining website, there is many coated projectiles, all different calibers with various colours for sale.

In this video, he seems to be using all the exact details as previously published in US on two U-Tube videos, by another home caster.

You say he is not a commercial caster I am wondering what precipitated his video release when he has nothing to gain at all?
    It is very strange activity.
    If tbh is attacking him I possibly could not object, as if his details and ideas were used, without tbh's permission, it is not correct activity.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I went to the range Thursday with some Hi-Tek coated boolits loaded in the 30-06, 41mag, 9X18 Mak, and 380acp. All loads shot very well with the 9X18 and 380 actually shooting some 1" groups at 10 yards. The 30-06 turned in the same accurray results of about 1 1/2" at 100 yards it always does from 1,500 fps to 1950 fps. The 41mag turned in some good results at 1" for 5 shots at 25 yards.
    No leading and no more smoke than firing jacketed loads.
    I am going to change powders from SR4759 to H4895 in the 30-06 and see how much velocity my boolits will take. All boolits shot Thursday were 8 BHN.

Today I coated 2,450 boolits with 5 measuring spoons of the coating. The spoon is one tablespoon or 1.5ml. To tired tonight to figure out how far the liter will go at this rate so if someone wants tofigure it out post it please. All boolits got 3 coats and look great.
    I did notice that after I stopped for lunch I did not shake my container of mixed product enough and the copper had settled to the bottom. So make sure you stir or shake well if the container has been setting awhile.
    I need another toater oven as using one even with 2 racks is too slow, but still faster than powder coating in my opinion.
    As far a the video produced by the German fella his system is very much like powder coating except for the electrical part of it. I noticed when he baked the boolits for 25 minutes he had positioned them upright on the tray. This is the part that would slow it down along with the long bake time. I like the fact that the HT boolits can be in any position and still come out great.
    Hi,
    Your testing and posting results are much appreciated.
    It seems that you have gotten things down to an art with coating.
    If possible can you post your finished coated product so we can all see them?

From what I have been told, the Red Copper coating should coat about 35,000 per litre, but this volume is subject to how fussy you are with final finish and size of the projectiles.

The diluted/catalysed coating will allow settling of ingredients, and, is not a problem as all, you have to do is shake bottle to remix before using.
    Thanks much for your post.

Boolit Master
    Please link me to this site that you say belongs to this person.

Boolit Grand Master

I will post more after another trip to the range in about a week or so. Trying to get ready for afishing trip to a remote section of the Apache Indian Reservation.
    Some peoples vision of a large amount of money can vary greatly. Not sure of the prices for the products the German fella is using but if he tried multiple products at $100 a whack it could add up fast with the other items needed to coat the product and bake it. His first videos did leave one with the impression he was more than a home hobbyist.

Boolit Bub
    I really am trying to understand this:

This thread was set up under the pretense of "lead-bullets-coated-with-polymer-paint", for people to express their ideas and contributions to home coating bullets. I love the idea of HI TEK, great idea .... Commercially sold. This link was originally setup to give help to others with their ideas and formulas. The posting on May 15th for the 2K paint with an additive, was FREE.... He shared it. So what if he wanted to sound bigger than a hobby caster. He posted his recipe for people to use....for free! I powder coat my bullets, they work well, but I am alway looking to improve, that's why we are here. Yes HI-TEK is a great commercially sold coating, so are jacketed bullets. Post your formula and impress me!!! Other wise, spend the money and make a commercial for your commercial product, stop trying to dominate a hobby level thread!!!

Boolit Master
    I don't mind HI-TEK posting about his product here. What I do mind is this rather transparent attempt to attack this german guys character when he has done nothing but offer something for free on youtube and at most just wants more people to watch his stuff.

And I want to make it clear now that contrary to HI-TEK's claims, this guy does not make & sell bullets. The only thing I have been able to find is that there are other sites with the name wiederlader in their name that sell coated bullets from ARES, another unrelated eastern european company that uses some unknown coating process.

The only thing I can assume is that it was assume that "wiederlader", the german word for reloader/reloading means it must be connected to this guy. But that's like assuming anyone with the word "reloading" in their username must be linked to any other site with the same word in it. It was also asked in the youtube comments for said video where one could buy his bullets and he said he did not sell bullets.

I find a lot of the complaints HI-TEK made about this guy rather strained and hard to believe. Frankly they just make the attacker look bad, I don't know if a single person has been convinced to not try this german guys recipe because of what has been written. But I bet a lot of people have gotten a bad taste in their mouth from this debacle...

Boolit Bub
    I don't mind HI-TEK posting about his product here. What I do mind is this rather transparent attempt to attack this german guys character when he has done nothing but offer something for free on youtube and at most just wants more people to watch his stuff.

And I want to make it clear now that contrary to HI-TEK's claims, this guy does not make & sell bullets. The only thing I have been able to find is that there are other sites with the name wiederlader in their name that sell coated bullets from ARES, another unrelated eastern european company that uses some unknown coating process.

The only thing I can assume is that it was assume that "wiederlader", the german word for reloader/reloading means it must be connected to this guy. But that's like assuming anyone with the word "reloading" in their username must be linked to any other site with the same word in it. It was also asked in the youtube comments for said video where one could buy his bullets and he said he did not sell bullets.

I find a lot of the complaints HI-TEK made about this guy rather strained and hard to believe. Frankly they just make the attacker look bad, I don't know if a single person has been convinced to not try this german guys recipe because of what has been written. But I bet a lot of people have gotten a bad taste in their mouth from this debacle...

AMEN! I agree

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
    I really am trying to understand this:

This thread was set up under the pretense of "lead-bullets-coated-with-polymer-paint", for people to express their ideas and contributions to home coating bullets. I love the idea of HI TEK, great idea .... Commercially sold. This link was originally setup to give help to others with their ideas and formulas. The posting on May 15th for the 2K paint with an additive, was FREE.... He shared it. So what if he wanted to sound bigger than a hobby caster. He posted his recipe for people to use....for free! I powder coat my bullets, they work well, but I am alway looking to improve, that's why we are here. Yes HI-TEK is a great commercially sold coating, so are jacketed bullets. Post your formula and impress me!!! Other wise, spend the money and make a commercial for your commercial product, stop trying to dominate a hobby level thread!!!

Thanks for your message.

I did state, if I am wrong with what I said I am first to accept any recoil.

The thing that had gotten under my skin, was that a user of the HI-TEK coating in US, posted two videos of his method on U-Tube, and it seemed to me that this new video published on the 15th had contained every aspect that was already published previously by that home coating user.
    I find that a questionable activity, to have someone use others published details as being their own..
    The previous video on this subject, from same person releasing the video on the 15th, previously tried to use method that was again questionable to try an get people to join his website, and when enough people joined, he would tell them his secret that was developed at his great expense.
    The video release on the 15th then totally destroyed the claim credibility being posed about great expense being spent, and using someone else's products and representing it as your own invention.
    I did not make up this information, but was wondering why any one would do such a thing?

I wish to make it very clear, I am not trying to dominate any site.
    Since people had begun using the coating in the US, I have had no end of people attacking me, as it seems that the coating release upset their market segments.
    That seems to be acceptable, but when I object to someone apparently representing other persons ideas and methods, it is frowned upon.
    Any way, it is very puzzling.

In respect to your request for me to supply my formulation, can you please advise, if you were in the same boat, with something that you had been working with for over 20 years, would you simply give your ideas away at your detriment, just to please people?
    I am sorry if I offended some people but matters I had referred to, were not my invention.

Boolit Master

Thank you for your candid reply.
    It was not my intention to be an attacker at all.
    I simply was concerned, that methods ideas and details may have been used from previously published two videos made in the US by a home caster.
    These US videos were not my production at all.
    I had seen both videos produced by the person who offered the epoxy coating system.
    Many people had already tried and used Epoxy system successfully, and I have no objection to such success.
    It is great.
    As I may have not said clearly was, that I did have concerns about use of someone else's ideas and appear, to then use those ideas as their own invention.
    At least that is how it seemed to me when comparing the US videos, to previous, and now the new videos published.
    I did say if I was incorrect in my concerns, I offer my apology to whom I may have offended.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 05-21-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Boolit Bub
    I have been using a much simpler method, only powder paint, acetone and an owen needed.
    No activator or anything.

-mix a very small amount of epoxy powder paint with a small amount of acetone.
    -put bullets in a small bucket or any other jar.
    -add the mixture while shaking the bucket so that all bullets get a thin coat. (exactly the same way most bullet painters here do)
    -pour the bullets on a mesh and wait a few minutes so that the acetone dries out.
    -now all the bullets have a powder paint film.
    -bake them in 190-200 degrees celsius for 10 minutes, the powder paint reaction starts and the paint hardens.
    -let them cool.
    -add a second coat exactly the same way, dry, bake, add a third coat.

This works beautifully. No activator needed, You can store the mixture forever (almost anyway)

Somebody surely thinks "epoxy is not soluble in acetone" and that is correct, I think.
    But epoxy powder paint and acetone mix extremely well anyway.

And naturally the bullets work fine, no leading, no smoke, easier to size than normal lead bullets without epoxy, sizer does not remove any of the the baked coating, can take "the hammer test" too.

Test it. Just about any epoxy powder paint will do.

By the way, I have been following this thread for several months.

Painting of bullets in a bucket is not a very new thing. Some decades ago people were using 2-component polyester gelcoat thinned with acetone.
    Then came 2 component coloured Vinyl, thinned with acetone. Some people were testing 2 component urethane paints too. They all worked somehow.

Then came better alternatives like 2 component epoxy paint and now this epoxy powder paint mixed with acetone.

Hope I do not ruin somebodys business
    Last edited by piglet; 05-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Is it epoxy powder coat powder you are using?
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Bub
    Yes. Epoxy powder paint or coat, some people call it paint, others coat, same thing I suppose, it is a powder that consists of very small particles.

When using these powder paints (coats), people normally blow the powder paint on objects with electrostatic guns, but if You do not have an electrostatic gun, this powder/acetone/bucket thing will work OK.

Besides You can choose the thickness of the coating. The thinner, the better!
    Last edited by piglet; 05-22-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks Piglet-- Any chance you could read us the information off of a paint can that has worked well? Also, what velocities have you verified function with? I'd really like to start with something that is known-good up to jacketed rifle velocities without gas checks and short cut a lot of the error part of trial and error.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Boolit Bub
    The powder (10 kilos, will last several lifetimes) came in a plastic bag in a cardboard box. I do not have the box any longer, but the powder had a name "Infralit EP".
    I have painted mainly 9mm and .357 bullets, different velocities and hardnesses, mainly wheel weights, never any problems with leading, no gas checks needed since the base of the bullets looks like newly painted after the shooting.
    I have not tested these with rifle velocities.

Thanks. I had written off powder coating because I was not interested in electro static or bubbler pot methods. The acetone distribution makes it feasible for those of us who want time and cost efficient small to medium scale loading.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

thanks piglet, just what I was looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    For some reason, all of these methods (PC and polymer paint, etc.) still sound significantly more labor-intensive and time-consuming than just grabbing a boolit and sending it through a lubri-sizer. Especially when second and third coats are involved. More so if they all need to be carefully placed upright for baking.

For now, I'll put up with a little bit of smoke for more time to load and shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Yes. Epoxy powder paint or coat, some people call it paint, others coat, same thing I suppose, it is a powder that consists of very small particles.

When using these powder paints (coats), people normally blow the powder paint on objects with electrostatic guns, but if You do not have an electrostatic gun, this powder/acetone/bucket thing will work OK.

Besides You can choose the thickness of the coating. The thinner, the better!
    Is this powder coating powder?

the big advantage for me is, it's smokeless, and the barrel is extremely clean. You will never need to put a single patch down the barrel...EVER! ! !

btw, time in actually doing anything is minimal, it's just waiting for it to dry, and I'm off doing something else while that's happening. I spent probably 5-10 minutes doing 250, then size, I'm guessing it's about the same actual labor time.

Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast