Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastco
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Ok I tried out a couple of things. I remembered that at work there were some left over cans of something called Plasti-Kote spray paint. When i looked in the flammables store there was just this Glass frosting spray left. Still the description made it worth a try. I also found a can of something called Clear Gard which is intended for coating electrical items. Again the description sounded promising as a bullet coating.

I coated ten bullets, RCBS 245 gr. SWC, with each.

Application was quick and easy. Both were touch dry in ten minutes. Both sets of bullets had a slick waxy feel to them afterward.

I used the usual load I use with these bullets of 10 grains Vectan AO for 1260 fps. with my usual floor polish lube this is a consistent one hole grouper at 50 meters from my M94.

Here is the fifty meter (55 yd) group with the clear gard coating. The highest shot was a called flyer.

Afterwards the barrel appeared dirty and the crown was considerably greyer than usual.

Things improved with the Plasti-Kote glass frosting.

Also the barrel appeared cleaner and the crown went back to being black. So I think we can call this a success.

Bear in mind this is shooting prone, unsupported, with the 'scope set on 3.5x at an aiming point not really suitable for 'scope use.

The Plasi-Kote products are sold over here in most DIY and hardware stores, so no doubt you will find them, or something similar elsewhere.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Banned
    Andrew's glass frosting sounds one heck of alot easier to use then the Pro-tec.................thanks.

We are going to have to work on the term for this though.........frosting already means something else.....................can you have double frosted boolits?

No lead ring around the boolit hole either..........apparently it is staying put through the firing process..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Boolit Buddy
    This thread is definitely getting interesting! The ease-of-use is definitely tempting too!

What are the guestimated negatives to using something like the plastikote as a spray-on lube? Build-up in the throat/barrel? Is it corrosive?

Has anyone tried this in 9mm yet?

I have make a tumble with moly/graphite boolit lube before the only thing I do not like is the "smell" upon firing but no leading. If some one wants I will send 4-5 ounces to try out (1-3 people not everyone) can be tumbled or sprayed then sized.
    bruce

funny thing I make industrial lubes for a living but I use LARs BAC lube Not dry lubes

Thumbs up more painted bullets

Found a can of plasti-kote black "rust not" paint hiding away on a shelf.

One problem I found is the difficulty in getting an even coat all around the bullet. if trying to do more than one at a time some will always be partially shaded by others requiring a second spray over. A lot of extra hassle if doing more than ten or twenty.

Anyway here is the fifty metre group fired under the same conditions as the test with the mirror frosting.

For comparison here is a group shot just prior but with bullets coated in the usual floor polish. Premier Products Platinum 25. The "25" refers to the percentage of solid waxes in suspension.

"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

What was the condition of the bore afterwards?

Boolit Master

Oilfield equipment here is painted with a 2 part epoxy paint. The brand that three of the major service companies use is Jones-Blair. Both the paint and the primer are similar. This stuff is TOUGH. I believe it is a type of PVC. Once the hardener and paint are mixed, it has to be used within a specified time, even putting it in an airtight container won't prevent it from setting up. So it can't be put in spray cans. They use spray cans for touch-up, but it is not epoxy based.
    I hadn't thought of it until I read this thread, but I am pretty sure it would make an excellent boolit coating. Stuff is fairly expensive, but a gallon would coat a lot of boolits. Boolits could be sized after dry. It is also very slick. Once this stuff dries on the exposed threads of a bolt, you will nearly strip the threads getting the nut off!
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    What was the condition of the bore afterwards?
    Clean and shiny.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Clean and shiny.

I wonder if there is a slight build up around the rifling that you aren't noticing just yet? Similar to the use of Jacketed Bullets. It takes a while to notice any buildup, but when it does it's a pain in the tail to get out.

Are you bringing out a clean patch when you clean it?

Boolit Man

Polymer paint

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Since I have no luber. The bullets I have, have been tumbled lubed. Which works well with LEE bullets that are made for that kind of lubing. But since the next mold I am considering buying is not a LEE mold, but one with actual lube bands.
    Sooo, what about Krylon Fusion it is a polymer based spray that is supposed to chemically bond with plastic? I wonder if that would work.

Tried reasearching Premier products 25 the stuff is made in England I believe the it would be pricey to obtain. Thought about going to a Lowes and looking for a similar product.
    Anyway just thinking out loud.

I have found a paint, that might work,, but the paint store has to order it,, it is water base and can be sprayed,,, it comes clear,, and I hope to be able to test,, adding color to it,,

Just to know,,, lets say,, I come up with a good
    Formula,, and some directions of how to apply it,, if someone,, was to sell a bottle in a kit, that would coat, 5000 to 1000 bullets,,,
    You would have to have a air compressor low volume gravity feed spray gun,

I will have to test,, other ways to apply this product,,, in testing when I get it,,,

How much would a bullet caster be willing to pay for this?

How bout something right in front of us and no one mentioned it YET
    BBQ Paint it takes the heat and comes in a spray or a two part Spray BBQ
    and tumble in a lite Floor wax yes two handling's but may make an absolute
    Clean Lightly smoking Boolit

Great thread opens the Mind
    Tom

I have tried other paint in the past,, but the ones I used,, were dirty,,
    I don't think I did the BBQ paint,,,

But I can't remember,, it was along time ago,,

All I can say is give it a shot, see what happends,,

the key,, I think is,, Clean! loading and shooting,, fast,, not a long prosses, and 3 more steps to do,, in casting and loading,,
    and the one that,,, may help in the end,,, making a cast bullet GREEN,,, accross the pond they have some green standards,,, and they say these bullets, are good to go!!!

so looking ahead,,, like it or not,, this may help our, Hobby,, more than you might think,,, right now!

That sounds like a good option too!

with all of the things,, we can get our hands on,,

with testing,, I'm sure we can come up with a "Lube"

that does not smoke,,, and leaves the barrel clean,

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    What makes you think it is a paint? Looks to me like a liquid dip lube like Rooster jacket.

Currently I use a commercial liquid floor polish that claims in the blurb to be an "emulsion of advanced mix of polymers and waxes". This is just a wax sealer in a water suspension that is used for lino type floors, put it on wet and then buff to a shine when dry. It says "25% solids" on the label and lists carnuba as one of the waxes. Similar products are marketed for car polishes, just look for ones that you add to water, spray on and buff to shine when dry.

How I do my bullets is I pile them, 300 to 500 at a time, on to a piece of heavy gauge polythene sheet. I pour on a couple of table spoon full of the (undiluted) polish and then roll the bullets around in it by picking up the corners of the sheet and tipping it too and fro. When they all appear be good and wet I put the sheet back down and spread the bullets out to dry. Every half hour or so I'll go back out and repeat the swirling the bullets around on the sheet to re wet the bullets. Drying takes about 3 hours give or take. Once dry you can repeat the above to give an extra coat.

The agitation bit is important, not only to get the most lube on the bullets but also to prevent them sticking together and to the polythene.

This lube works with all types of cast bullets. At present I use it with 250 Keith SWCs and 320 gr. LBT bullets with excellent results in both my Ruger Super Red Hawk and Win M94 at velocities exceeding 1600 fps. It is also reputed to work well with paper patches.
    OK, went to Lowes. They have some stuff that sounds similar. It is called Red-Max step 3, it has 20% solids in the solution. Suppose to have a wax that dries hard and resist scuffing. Maybe when I get my mold and start throwing some SWC I will give it a try.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

This is a totally cool thread! Even if none of these ever pan out they certainly have given me a lot to think about!

If any of youse who have these paints try them, please post your results and what your "lube" was, load (maybe pics?) etc. I don't want to let this thread dissappear like the others that discussed this approach. Here we have actual options as to paints that might/should work. As someone said earlier, this can be a revolutionary development in cast lead boolits.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by jtwodogs View Post
    Sooo, what about Krylon Fusion it is a polymer based spray that is supposed to chemically bond with plastic? I wonder if that would work.
    I was thinking the same thing! I might have to try this myself.

In Remembrance

I tried Krylon window frosting on some 257 boolits. It was brittle, could be scraped off with a fingernail , and definitely did not stand up to sizing down .003. Bummer. Paid $6.49 for it. Anyone need a window frosted?

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast