Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

I read through this and found a way yesterday that provided decent results, I ran 150 gr. Lee .315 spitzers, used Krylon paint . first, I heated the bullets on a sheet in front of a Mr. Heater (radiant) to around 150 degrees F then sprayed them, then returned them to that area for 2 hours to dry. The two test rifles Ill be using are a type 99 Arisaka, 7.7 loaded with 34 gr. of IMR 4895 w/ gas check. The reason Ill use this gun as it has a chrome lined barrel.and the fact that its reciever is almost indestructible in case something goes wrong.The barrel slugged on this gun @ .310. The second rifle is a Mosin Nagant with NO gas check,and loaded with 26 gr. IMR 4895.This barrel slugged at .309 .Observations showed that these bullets when pushed through a Lee .308 sizer ,sized much easier than an alox coated bullet from the same batch, and did not crack or wipe off.The bullets loaded in the cartridges were unsized,I just did it to test the coating. I will post results later today, after firing.Remember these are light loads.

Ok, results are in, Mosin Nagant, load was too weak IMHO, very inaccurate,(this rifle is very accurate with jacketed bullets) ,bore showed no residue of paint or lead. 7,7 Arisaka fired very accurate, and also displayed no fouling.(chrome lined bore may have been a factor) Will fire this bullet in M1917 30-06 at same load as 7,7 next weekend to eliminate chrome bore being a factor in residue.

Boolit Master
    I got some bullet coating on order this week from Bayo bullets. I plan to try them for my 155 blackout, both with gas checks and without gas checks.

Boolit Master

Coating

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I got some bullet coating on order this week from Bayo bullets. I plan to try them for my 155 blackout, both with gas checks and without gas checks.
    Hi,
    I am glad that you are prepared to try the coating.
    Which colour did you choose?
    I am not familiar with 155 blackout, what is that?
    Do you know what speed you will be firing these at?
    What size/calibre, diameter and weigh is the projectile, and what powder are you using & quantity?
    It would be great if you can give readers all the info they need after you had tested the coating.
    Looking forward to your results.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    I do not know what color he is sending. I thought it was all green. Color does not matter so much anyway to me. I mistypes, I recently built a 300 blackout AR15. So far I only test fired it with 20 Sierra 125gr bullets and it shoot well. I have casted about a thousand 155 gr bullets off of the Lee 155gr mold. I want to try this paint concept to reduce mess and hopefully labor. The second reason is to get my Glocks to shoot cleaner. While I have great results with my Glocks and the conventinal luvbe concept, they smoke a lot and get very dirty after about 250 rounds.
    In the AR15 Blackout I am looking to devlope an economical round that is good for 300 yard distance and shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi,
    I am glad that you are prepared to try the coating.
    Which colour did you choose?
    I am not familiar with 155 blackout, what is that?
    Do you know what speed you will be firing these at?
    What size/calibre, diameter and weigh is the projectile, and what powder are you using & quantity?
    It would be great if you can give readers all the info they need after you had tested the coating.
    Looking forward to your results.
    Joe

Boolit Master

Donnie now has several colours in stock.
    Red Copper, Black and Gold, as well as the Dark green.
    The Gold, and Red Copper, has slightly more advantages with use in high energy powder loads.
    The ingredients reflect heat a lot better at rear of projectiles. That is why in most instances you dont need gas checks.
    All coatings are used in Glocks in Aus. with no problems as well.
    What is needed to be kept in mind, is that you apply very thin diluted coatings to achieve success.
    Bake between each coat at about 190C for 6-8 minutes in oven after coating and drying them.
    Did you see the video on U-Tube on coating technique?
    Attached is videos.
    Part1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevKJgHseWc
    Part2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7PbbtbAtE
    This a fairly basic set up and it works.
    Let me know how you went with it.
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    I have some ordered from Donnie as well. Can't wait to try !

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    First time forum reply here, and I'm a bit technically challenged so here's to hoping all goes well. I've been following this post for a while now, and have some of the coating on order from Donnie as well. I was not aware the had different colors that might possible work better at higher velocities/pressures. My question which I have not seen answered in this thread. Are any of the coating capable of allowing us to shoot cast boolits without gas checks at rifle velocities? Two of my specific calibers/ velocities would be a 30 cal ( 300 blackout) in the 125 grain and 2300 fps speed range and the venerable .224 55 grainer at approx 3000fps. Perhaps Joe/ Hi- Tek could chime in on this one. All others are welcome as well, especially if you have first hand knowledge with either the loads mentioned or something similar. Thanks in advance to all at this great forum.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    Mea Culpa Mea Culpa. I went back and read some more recent posts since my last visit, and it does seem that some folks have pushed the Hi-Tek coating to the 3000fps range. I would still be interested in some specific data though. Perhaps when I get my coating in from Donnie I can run some tests. My greatest interest and one that I think would be a very good test would be the 3000 fps out of the 223/5.56 loading. I would love to test some with velocity testing, bullet capture and barrel fouling check, but alas I have been unable to procure a 223 bullet mould. Let me rephrase that, I am unwilling to pay the $200 plus that they are going for on Fleabay. If anyone out there has a mould and would be willing to cast some test boolits, I would happily pay you a fair price for them and shipping so I can do some testing when my coating comes in. Speaking of which I need to follow up on that shipment. All test results will of course be shared her when available.

Boolit Buddy
    <snip> "...Let me rephrase that, I am unwilling to pay the $200 plus that they are going for on Fleabay...." <snip> (Liberty'sSon)

Ha! I've been hunting some stuff too, seemingly forever. Namely, some roundnose or truncated cone molds in the 125 grain range that will function in a Kahr PM9 (Luger) I ran into a 6 cavity 124 grain Lee meeting my specs that had several bids all the way up to $217.00 plus S&H with over a day left in the auction. That is insanity.

If this Hi-Tek coating would eliminate gas checks up to 3K feet per second, and the material had a good shelf life, zero leading and so forth, I'd spring for it today. It would be worth the 100 or so it takes to get the stuff. But it hasn't been proven to my satisfaction just yet.

I've been watching this thread develop also.

Stan

Boolit Buddy
    To all of you that orders pending for the Hi-Tek lube. I had difficulty obtaining containers to ship the product in. They new containers should be here Friday and all orders will go out Monday and Tues.
    I apologize for the delays.
    Donnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty'sSon View Post
    Mea Culpa Mea Culpa. I went back and read some more recent posts since my last visit, and it does seem that some folks have pushed the Hi-Tek coating to the 3000fps range. I would still be interested in some specific data though. Perhaps when I get my coating in from Donnie I can run some tests. My greatest interest and one that I think would be a very good test would be the 3000 fps out of the 223/5.56 loading. I would love to test some with velocity testing, bullet capture and barrel fouling check, but alas I have been unable to procure a 223 bullet mould.
    Ah well there's a few 223 group buys on cast boolits now that go for less than $200. I've got a 65gr mold already from Mihec and now I'm signed up for a 6-cavity 75gr mold. These molds are meant for nato or wylde chambers though.

65gr nato http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...x-cavity-solid
    75gr nato http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...x-cavity-solid

At any rate if the lighter bullet could be successfully driven to just 2400-2600fps then it'd be good enough for most purposes and it would make powerfactor for the common shooting sports. The heavier 75gr one will do that at just 2100 fps. It will be very interesting to see what can be done with these.

I would love to cast some bullets for you to coat ('cos I would like to test them myself) but it would be illegal for you to send me the bullets back outside the states after I've sent them to you :/ I bet there are people in the US that could much easier and cheaply do this anyway.

I would love the hitek coating but we got no dealers here :/

Here's someone who's done what I would like to, but he did not have success with accuracy it seems:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...3-cast-bullets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Ah well there's a few 223 group buys on cast boolits now that go for less than $200. I've got a 65gr mold already from Mihec and now I'm signed up for a 6-cavity 75gr mold. These molds are meant for nato or wylde chambers though.

65gr nato http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...x-cavity-solid
    75gr nato http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...x-cavity-solid

At any rate if the lighter bullet could be successfully driven to just 2400-2600fps then it'd be good enough for most purposes and it would make powerfactor for the common shooting sports. The heavier 75gr one will do that at just 2100 fps. It will be very interesting to see what can be done with these.

I would love to cast some bullets for you to coat ('cos I would like to test them myself) but it would be illegal for you to send me the bullets back outside the states after I've sent them to you :/ I bet there are people in the US that could much easier and cheaply do this anyway.

I would love the hitek coating but we got no dealers here :/

Here's someone who's done what I would like to, but he did not have success with accuracy it seems:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...3-cast-bullets
    Small amount of product is being shipped to Switzerland. They had taken 5 litres to try.
    May be they will share some with you if you ask?
    I can communicate with them and ask questions on possibility.
    Let me know if you wish to try and get some.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    I personnly think if you could get 223 preformance at 3000fps without a gascheck someon e would be making 10million bullets a month that way.
    Myself, I will be happy with a planbase 300 blackout running at 1800fps and a 223 with gas check running fast enough to cycle the action.

For anyone interest I has a 6up lee bator mold (NEW) on ebay auction ending today.
    If you want a good 223 mold to try the Milhec Natio with a gas check and this paint will probally work. In the next couple months I will try mine.

Boolit Master
    Small amount of product is being shipped to Switzerland. They had taken 5 litres to try.
    May be they will share some with you if you ask?
    I can communicate with them and ask questions on possibility.
    Let me know if you wish to try and get some.
    Joe
    Can you ship that small an amount? I thought it would be several hundreds of dollars regardless of how much you got.

And yes if you where to ask, it would be nice if I could buy a little from them, enough to coat a small amount of bullets for testing purposes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Can you ship that small an amount? I thought it would be several hundreds of dollars regardless of how much you got.

And yes if you where to ask, it would be nice if I could buy a little from them, enough to coat a small amount of bullets for testing purposes.
    I did not ship it.
    They had a container being loaded in Victoria, ans had intended to load the trial quantity into their container.
    To send to Europe, it costs about $800 for allocation of a cubic metre space, which can take up to 640 litres, or if you like, 1 litre.
    I will send a message and ask if they wish to on provide small quantity.

Boolit Master

Hi,
    The most recent results done by a manufacturer is as below.
    No Gas checks were used, and accuracy was good.
    Examination of captured projectiles was examined, and, with a wet rag, simply wiped the end of the projectiles, and coating was as original colour (Green) and no damage to the rear of the alloy.
    Barrels were clean aside from powder residue.
    165 grain, 309 dia, 308 rifle, maximum load 41 grains ADI powder 2206H , travelling 650-750 ft/sec,
    20 shots were fired. Only powder residue left barrel was clean. 2 coats of coating.
    1.a.
    One coating on hard cast alloy also gave same results. No gas checks were used.

125 grain, 316 diameter, 8 grains 2205 powder, travelling at 1200-1300 ft / sec with 2 coats.
    310 Cadet rifle. No gas checks. 65grn 309 diameter Marksman fired at 1700ft/sec with 2 coats.

I am at a diadvantage, with most end use applications, as I have to rely on users providing results of tests that is meaningful and I am not a shooter, and the coatings were developed with co-operation with some manufacturers that wanted a super lube that fit every application.

I have found, that over the years, users tended guard their results fiercely and would not share any good or bad experiences.
    The results I had published, was an accumulation of my recording of information as supplied over the years.
    I am now determined, to get meaningful results, with the cooperation of a manufacturer, who is testing the coated projectiles in as many applications as possible.
    Upon receipt, I will publish results.

I am aware of the capability of the coating, as we have done physical tests to demonstrate properties such as
    1. Severe deformation capability and very tough,
    2. Exceptional heat resistance and Reflectance which protects the alloy,
    3. Will not soften or melt with heat,
    4. Bonds to alloys very strongly
    5. Leaves no residues on surfaces and separates metal surfaces in frictional areas.
    6. Very slippery, clean, dry, non contaminating.
    7. Low smoke and maximum reduction of atomised Lead.

I have been saying for many years, the coating is not an Armour plating to cope with every hostile situations, it is simply a dry film lubricant.
    As it is a solid film lubricant, and which has far greater benefits over pastes, liquids and exotic lubes.
    As to limitations of use, in shooting applications, it is like asking me how long is a piece of string without a tape measure.
    Apology, but that is all I can provide at this stage.

165 grain, 309 dia, 308 rifle, maximum load 41 grains ADI powder 2206H , travelling 650-750 ft/sec,
    20 shots were fired. Only powder residue left barrel was clean. 2 coats of coating.
    1.a.
    One coating on hard cast alloy also gave same results. No gas checks were used.
    I think that should be 2650 - 2750 fps. That's what I would expect with 41gns 2206H (IMR/H4895)

Boolit Master

Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    I think that should be 2650 - 2750 fps. That's what I would expect with 41gns 2206H (IMR/H4895)
    Apology.
    You are right.
    My typo error.
    Thanks much

HI-TEK,
    How long does your coating last in its constituent parts? A liter sounds like it should last me a lifetime based on quantity. Just wondering if the materials will be good for that long.

TIA

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast