Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Have a look at the U-Tube video part 1 and 2.
    It describes in detail how the coating is used to coat projectiles.
    Joe
    YouTube videos:
    Part1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevKJgHseWc
    Part2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7PbbtbAtE

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I may have missed it above, but how are you appling it HI-TEK?
    Have a look at the two U-Tube videos, link attached below , to demonstrate how the coatings can be used by even hobbyist. Joe

YouTube videos:
    Part1
    Part2

Boolit Mold
    can you tell us exactly how many ml or cc of hardener,color and acetone used per 500 bullets??? thanks just want to make sure i mixed them right...thanks...

Boolit Master

Hi,
    Thanks for contact.
    I assume that you have obtained coating from Bayou. Is that right?
    If you have the dark Green, simply put, for every 5 litre of coating, you need 1 litre Catalyst.
    When coating projectiles, the 5 litres with catalyst and dilution solvent, should coat between 35,000-50,000 projectiles per litre.
    Manufacturers, use small amounts of coating, mix with Acetone to dilute coating, and add Catalyst.
    Example, 100mls coating, add 150 mls Acetone, and 20 mls catalyst. Mix, then add about 20-25 mls to 1000 projectiles of this mixture. Tumble coat, just enough to coat all, and then pour out and dry well. When dry, bake at 190C for 8-9 minutes in an oven that has very good air circulation inside it.
    I have attached two U-Tube videos that was made by user in US. You need to look at them and then realise what is needed.
    You will need sound and you get instructions on how it is done with continuous movie.
    Let me know how you go.
    The Catlysed diluted mixture can be used for 2-3 days, it is better to keep it out of sunlight and below 30C, possibly at 20-25C.

U-Tube videos:
    Part1
    Part2

Joe
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 02-12-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Boolit Mold
    thanks for the reply.. yah i got it from bayou bullets. im just coating in small batch like 500 bullets ..

Quote Originally Posted by morrisammo View Post
    Why bother? less smoke...
    clean gun,,, for us 3 Gun guys,,, we shoot lots of bullets,, and with this you can shoot them out of a Glock factory barrel,, with no problem,,

this could be the biggest thing to happen with cast bullets in a long long time!
    Ummm. I shoot cast from my glock 19 with no issues. Slug your bore and go 2thou over. I use a lee 358-125-rf sized to .357 with 20:1 alloy and a 60/40 wax lla lube. I have to rapid fire for a mag or 2 to get any issues. I send a plated or jhp down every 2 or 3 mags.

Boolit Master

Coatings & lube in glock

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Darkcloud View Post
    Ummm. I shoot cast from my glock 19 with no issues. Slug your bore and go 2thou over. I use a lee 358-125-rf sized to .357 with 20:1 alloy and a 60/40 wax lla lube. I have to rapid fire for a mag or 2 to get any issues. I send a plated or jhp down every 2 or 3 mags.
    It seems to me, that firing Alloyed Lead in your glock still is producing Leading.
    Your way of fixing problem, is to shoot Jacketed or plated projectiles to clean the gun.
    Just a couple of observations,
    1. You are still getting Leading of the barrel.
    2. Shooting jacketed or copper coated projectiles will not remove Leading completely. Further, Copper will deposit onto the barrle, which needs very agressive cleaners to remove, which may also damage bore with pitting corrosion whilst dissolving the deposited Copper.

In Australia, they have used the HI-TEK-LUBE coated Alloyed Lead in glock for many years, without any such problems.

It is only in recent times, since introduction of the coatings to the US where it is now being found, that simply you do not need Jacketed or Plated projectiles, and you save money by using coated Alloy.
    Just enquire with Donnie at Bayou about test results.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Hi,
    Thanks for contact.
    I assume that you have obtained coating from Bayou. Is that right?
    If you have the dark Green, simply put, for every 5 litre of coating, you need 1 litre Catalyst.
    When coating projectiles, the 5 litres with catalyst and dilution solvent, should coat between 35,000-50,000 projectiles per litre.
    Manufacturers, use small amounts of coating, mix with Acetone to dilute coating, and add Catalyst.
    Example, 100mls coating, add 150 mls Acetone, and 20 mls catalyst. Mix, then add about 20-25 mls to 1000 projectiles of this mixture. Tumble coat, just enough to coat all, and then pour out and dry well. When dry, bake at 190C for 8-9 minutes in an oven that has very good air circulation inside it.
    I have attached two U-Tube videos that was made by user in US. You need to look at them and then realise what is needed.
    You will need sound and you get instructions on how it is done with continuous movie.
    Let me know how you go.
    The Catlysed diluted mixture can be used for 2-3 days, it is better to keep it out of sunlight and below 30C, possibly at 20-25C.

U-Tube videos:
    Part1
    Part2

Joe
    Is it possible to weigh the materials as you add them to get the proper ratio's ? I have a food scale handy that weighs to the gram.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    For 45 cal, you may get coverage from 35,000 to 40,000, and will depend on finish required and colour being used.
    As colours are from plain tint, to various metallic colours, and effects required and or achieved, will vary coating coverage rates.
    Will this coating work on gas checked rifle boolits? Say, speeds up to 3000fps?

Boolit Master

Coating techniques

If you are using very small quantities, it may be a problem to measure out tiny amounts of ingredients.
    I always recomend, that you prepare a batch of projectiles in advance, say 1000-5000 and then measure out the amount of coating required, (generally in volume relationship).
    To coat 1000, for example, if you use 30 mls coating, 30 mls Acetone, and 6 mls Catalyst, this should coat the 1000 with two coats, with possibly a little left over, (a few mils.).
    If you are coating less, than you need to adjust down the volumes accordingly.
    Did you see the U-Tube videos? It tells you every thing you need to do.
    Many, use plastic Syringes to measure out volumes, (10mls, 50mls sizes, or as required.)
    Joe

Boolit Master

Hi, I was told by one of my customers, that they have shot projectiles with our coatings at 3000ft/sec. I did not get any other details.
    I suggest, that if you are going to shoot at that speed, the coating needs to be well cured to obtaine maximum hardness, generally at 195-200C for 8-10 minutes.
    You will need two thin coats, covering projectiles to ensure that surface of alloy is covered.

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe this was all ready posted, but better share it twice

Here we will get the recipe!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7M...0BF3FA8392B831
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    I searched but found only 2 posts on the issue of 223 bullets and these coatings, both where questions if it had been done. I'm asking the same thing. I'd be interested to know if you can coat a 223 bullet and have it work properly. Could one skip using gas checks then too perhaps? Perhaps even a plain base (or boattail) lead bullet could be used then?

HI-TEK,
    Based on the durability of the coating, it sounds like I should be able to use soft lead and not get leading (in a 9mm for example). Have you heard anyone doing this successfully? With lead wheel weights drying up, this would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post

I think wiederlauderTV is optimistic if he thinks he can get 25 million views. I wonder if there are 25 million casters in the world, let alone the subset who also want to lube/coat using his coating. He might want to lower his expectations by a factor of 10 or more.

Boolit Master

Subscribed!

Boolit Master
    So, I wonder how this coating would affect hollow-point performance. Do you think it would tear, or stretch with expansion? Would it possibly help penetration, and control deformation?

Boolit Master

I had already seen this post on coating projectiles.
    I do not know who is responsible for rhe video.
    The coating information is freely available from J&M Specialized Products P/L on
    jandm@blue1000.com.au. Coating is also avaliable from them also.
    J&M invented the coating about 20 years ago and have been selling it to all and supplying technical back up and free assistance and customer support.
    Attached below, is two videos made in USA, by a hobbyist where the coating process is displayed.
    YouTube videos:
    Part1
    Part2
    Videos are free without strings attached.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    So, I wonder how this coating would affect hollow-point performance. Do you think it would tear, or stretch with expansion? Would it possibly help penetration, and control deformation?
    The coatings have been used for quite some time with all types of projectiles.
    In reference to deformation properties attached is a picture of what can be achieved with coating.

Old Bronze+Dark Green Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Bronze+Dark Green.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	61446

I thought, that this would be useful for you to know about the properties of our coatings. These are two of the Hi-Tek-Lube Supercoats used to coat projectiles.
    Left to right, Old Bronze, (new Colour) and Dark Green.
    These projectiles are coated and baked with two very thin coats.
    The above tests, are typical test results obtained with the coatings, when the coated projectiles are subjected to extreme deformation.
    Note that flattened projectiles, one side is rough where it lay on the concrete when flattening, and coating, despite being severely damaged stayed put on surfaces.
    Surfaces, that are smooth directly alongside, is where 8 pound hammer hit surfaces, which are flat and smooth.
    No fracturing can be seen on damaged surfaces.
    Sizing projectiles to correct diameter after coating, allows exact finished diameters to be produced, and no lubricants are required to size or to shoot with majority of applications.
    Due to the extreme beneficial properties of the coatings, it stays put on alloy, even with use in most hostile applications to prevent Lead becoming in contact with Barrel.

There are many attempts to reproduce such results, and I have seen many, with just as many concoctions trying to invent the ideal coating/lubricant.

A million shooters cannot be wrong, and people who continue to use our coatings.

Boolit Master

wiederlauder TV video certainly appears to be suspicious in intent.
    The Coating, that is shown, appears identical to the HI-TEK-LUBE coating used by many world wide already. The coating & information, is freely available from supplier and manufacturer J&M Specialized Products P/L, and no strings attached.

Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast