MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 32 of 70 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I suppose one way to be sure would be to fire a batch of bullets coated with whatever you wanted to test and have something next to the gun that can be sent to the lab to see if there is any undesirable 'fallout.'
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphery View Post
    I wonder if a blend of powders could be used. Like adding 25% molly,mixing, then applying/baking. Would greater lubricity resault? Would the powder coat still bond? What about a HD PE plastic powder? PE coated bullets?
    25% would be a huge number. I ordered some hBN (aka "white graphite") that seems to be the newest rage of dry lubricants; I only ordered 1/4lb (4 oz) of it. When they do normal impaction coating they use a tiny amount - about three grains (7000 grains in a lb, 250 grains in 4 oz!) for roughly 50 boolits. There's a significant amount of waste with powder coating and at $30+ for 4 oz of this stuff, I'm not willing to put that much in there. I'm thinking more along the lines of a few grains with a few oz of powder itself to see how it improves the feel. Unfortunately there's no way I'm aware of to measure "slickness" - other than an increase in FPS using powder with hBN vs. without. Then of course, there's how it affects the powder coat itself once it's melted and cured.

So, hopefully I'll have the hBN here this coming week and I'll try it. I've got to get my Chrony setup (as mentioned above) where I can't shoot it accidentally (not taking any chances, that's an expensive mistake!) but it's been raining the last several days. Meanwhile, I'm loading up several rounds to test out!

Boolit Master

Applying Hex-Boron to Powder Coated Bullets Surface Area

I would not add the material into the powder coat. Try to put the coated cured bullets into a small plastic bottle with some of the HBN coating and some BB'S.

Have a good lid on the plastic jar like a pill bottle and then put the containerer into a vibrating case cleaner.

Try first the same process that is used to coat copper jacketed bullets with HBN.

The coating will only be on the surface of the powder coating.

The time to put the coating on the cured powder coat bullets maybe only a few minutes.

By applying the Hex-Borine in this mater the amount of coating used will be very small.

I have coated thousands of jacket bullets with this procee and have used very little of the Hex-Borine. I take the bullets out put the top on the jar and use the same stuff for several batches of bullets. On the third coating I add just a small amount of the HBN to the bottle.

A surface coating is all that is required.

There are previous post in the thread on applying the coating to the surface of jacket bullets.

Try the process with 5 to 10 bullets just to see if the process works with powder coated cured bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Unfortunately there's no way I'm aware of to measure "slickness" - other than an increase in FPS using powder with hBN vs. without.
    Google coefficient of friction inclined plane method
    a simple and approved (ASME) method for finding how slick your coatings are also very good as a comparitive test

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by machanic View Post
    Unfortunately there's no way I'm aware of to measure "slickness" - other than an increase in FPS using powder with hBN vs. without.
    Google coefficient of friction inclined plane method
    a simple and approved (ASME) method for finding how slick your coatings are also very good as a comparitive test
    Using various lubes does get some advantages. From what it is desired is for the lead to slip through the barrel without leaving residue, and it is beneficial to keep deposits to minimum.
    The problem is that using very slik extreme performance lubricants is that it is not ideal to have the pill very slippery, until you get no drag inside the barrel. You need the "resistance" to allow pressure/power build up, to get velocity and therefore accuracy, and, ideally get no deposits and minimal atomised lead. The ideal lube is the one that separates the pill from barrel, allows some slip, and leave clean and dry bore after use.
    If lube is too slippery, it then may reduce ability for correct pressure build up behind pill. I have seen pills not able to hit the target, as it left barrel too quickly, and powder burnt outside barrel. Also, depending on amounts of lube successfully attached to the pill may also determine how slik and how accurate the pill becomes with same load, as varying coated amounts of lube may influence at different rates, the final lubricity aspects being required.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got my hBN the other day, 4oz is about a cup sized amount, shipped in a screw-top plastic jar. Similar consistency to talc or baby powder.

Have some boolits I will probably coat once I find some suitable setup to coat them with. (BB's and a plastic jar.)

Need to make a better seat for my shooting bench first!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    Just got my hBN the other day, 4oz is about a cup sized amount, shipped in a screw-top plastic jar. Similar consistency to talc or baby powder.

Have some boolits I will probably coat once I find some suitable setup to coat them with. (BB's and a plastic jar.)

Need to make a better seat for my shooting bench first!
    Hi Ken
    Where did you get the stuff, and how much did it cost?
    Were you supplied any specifications for the product, such as particle size distribution, tapped density etc.[/FONT]

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi Ken
    Where did you get the stuff, and how much did it cost?
    Were you supplied any specifications for the product, such as particle size distribution, tapped density etc.
    Got it here:

http://sandblastingabrasives.com/Bul...rder-Page.html

A little over $30 for 4 ounces after shipping.

How about to subscribe and get the secret reveled:=)

http://youtu.be/uQ7MQhs3hwg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post
    How about to subscribe and get the secret reveled:=)

http://youtu.be/uQ7MQhs3hwg
    Hi,
    I found your message and video very interesting.
    However, I invented these coatings 20 years ago, and have been selling the coating to many companies. I supply all data and coating methods for free.
    The green coating you show in your Utube video, is almost a direct copy of the colour, of my coating, already supplied to manufacturers in Australia, New Zealand and to the US.
    The Green coating in your video, is similar to our coating, which has been used by manufacturers of Cast bullets for many years, and, data and informastion of composition was available as provided on our Safety Data sheet for 20 years.
    I cannot understand, how you now wish to get a following with a product you allege as developed two years ago???
    I find this posting most upsetting as it directly appears to be targetting my coatings with a copy version.

Sir
    THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO...
    It will be nice to supply all data and coathing methods WITH US!

Boolit Master

Coating and data

SUPERCOAT application & Data.pdf
    Hi Thanks for quick reply.
    I have attached, (correctly hopefully), some data that may be useful to all.
    I was a bit irritated with what I saw, as I have had many years of people trying to copy my coatings.
    I can respond to coating methods, technical data and other enquiries if you contact me directly.Alternatively, you or any one else can email me at
    jandm@blue1000.com.au, and I can send data on coatings, applications and any reference matters with my replies. It is all free and without any strings being attached.
    As advised with my previous reply, for many years, my coatings have been used very successfully by many manufacturers of Hard Cast projectiles.
    In Australia, it has been used since 1992, and the Gold coating has been tested and certified as reducing atomised Lead to levels well below both US and Australian health standards and are comparable to Copper plated projectiles.
    This testing results and or certification, cannot be supplied by any other lube supplier or manufacturer.

Joe

Is there web site or store where this stuff can be ordered??

Quote Originally Posted by ciphery View Post
    I wonder if a blend of powders could be used. Like adding 25% molly,mixing, then applying/baking. Would greater lubricity resault? Would the powder coat still bond? What about a HD PE plastic powder? PE coated bullets?
    I use a polyester based powder coating and it is plenty slick enough, there is no need for further lubricity that I can tell. Plus the bore is cleaner after shooting powder coated bullets than it was right after I cleaned it...lol...
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Master

Coating availability

Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post
    Is there web site or store where this stuff can be ordered??
    No website available.
    The coating is available in Australia and the US for sale.
    In US, sellers are Ferrara Leather company, and Bayou Bullet Company.
    Manufacturer in Australia, J&M Specialized Products, can be contacted directly at jandm@blue1000.com.au
    Where do you require product? By contacting manufacturer, prices can be quoted for specific quantities.
    The coatings can only be shipped by sea, as they are flammable goods.
    The coatings are packaged in 4 by 4 litre packs. in a Carton.
    The Catalyst is also packed in 5 litre packs, and 20 litre of coating requires 5 litre of catalyst.
    If shipping, it is better to ship in a multiple ratio of 4 cartons of coating and 1 carton of Catalyst, as that is ratio of ingredients.
    This is not most cost effective way of shipping, as in many destinations, shipping will quote for one cubic Metre/weight for costs.
    One cubic metre rate about 800 litres of coating combined can be shipped, as LCL cargo, and if only 100 litres are ordered, the total shipping costs are applied to small volume being shipped.
    Shpping costs to US prices were about $1300 for 200 litres in total.
    It may be better if several people combine for an order, and then the costs become much more effective.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    Joe

Boolit Man
    HI-TEK, what is the shelf life of the product? It would be nice to be able to buy a big supply and store it for 4 or 5 years.

Boolit Master

Lube coating reply

Quote Originally Posted by h1tdk00 View Post
    HI-TEK, what is the shelf life of the product? It would be nice to be able to buy a big supply and store it for 4 or 5 years.
    Thank for contact.
    Essentially, the coating is stable until Catalys is added.
    It should be kept in cool area, out of sunlight and in sealed bottles.
    I have had small users buy 5 litres locally and had taken two years to use it all. It worked just fine.
    As users get regular replacement stocks, I have not had any, that would have coating lasting 4-5 years, and most use it up within a month, and smaller users in about 6 months on average.
    Where do you want it shipped, (Where are you located), and how much product would you envisage getting in one shipment?
    It would be much better if several people can combine to place an order, and that way, you all share shipping costs.
    Please advise
    Joe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    I have been looking for this stuff for years! bought some Fieochiee( SPELL?) .455 Webly ammo with something like this in black on it. It worked well enugh. If anyone has a link to the lube /paint please post it. Thanks...Buck
    Hi, You can get information and the lube from Bayou bullet company, and Ferrara Leather company. Manufacturer is in Australia and can be contacted on jandm@blue1000.com.au.
    They may supply you all you require.

HI-TEK, approximately how many 45auto boolits would one liter coat?
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Master

coating and coverage

Quote Originally Posted by olaf455 View Post
    HI-TEK, approximately how many 45auto boolits would one liter coat?
    For 45 cal, you may get coverage from 35,000 to 40,000, and will depend on finish required and colour being used.
    As colours are from plain tint, to various metallic colours, and effects required and or achieved, will vary coating coverage rates.

Page 32 of 70 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast