RotoMetals2PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Google up "PRO-TEC POWDER PAINT" I use it on jigheads for fishing.

application is your problem though, the powder will not stick to anything not already hot or electrostatically charged while it is in powder form. Once it is applied and then oven cured you can beat the lead head flat with a hammer and not chip this stuff.

Not sure how it would work in a gunbarrel and even nasty solvents like MEK and trichlorethelene have nil effect on it once cured...........YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN and I would try it on a spare barrel the first time out if you go this route.

That's what it reminded me of ... just couldn't remember where I'd seen it. It looks like the same paint they put on Tungsten weights. It sure is slick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by riverwalker76 View Post
    That's what it reminded me of ... just couldn't remember where I'd seen it. It looks like the same paint they put on Tungsten weights. It sure is slick.
    It even comes in glow-in-the-dark.........TRACERS ANYONE?

Due to this thread I have tried coating a few boolits with Pro-TEC..........if the stuff actuallly worked shooting wise, applying a consistent coat would still be a major hurdle. I cured a few also and was actually able to post size the boolit and it came out even slicker feeling in the sized area.

The only thing I know for sure is that a Flo. Orange boolit sticking out of a nickel 357mag case looks both neat and odd.

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to know what this coating is.

Someone has to know what this coating is and how to apply it?

357maximum,

Do you really think it is the Pro-Tec powder coating?

Have you shot any of the boolits you coated yet?

Boolit Master

The only thing I know for sure is that a Flo. Orange boolit sticking out of a nickel 357mag case looks both neat and odd.
    I would LOVE to see a picture of that!

With powder coating static electricity is what makes a nice even coat of the powder and then it is baked on at somewhere around 400 degrees. I just did some in red by dipping and it's way to thick.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone want to try = TEFLON/MOLY OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH
    Mfr:BROWNELLS
    Price:$32.99
    I have a can if I can find it .Will try doing some 45 200 gr swc and some 6.5 x 55 lead sleds
    should be fun ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elkins45 View Post
    i would love to see a picture of that!
    tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Kid View Post
    I would love to know what this coating is.

Someone has to know what this coating is and how to apply it?

357maximum,

Do you really think it is the Pro-Tec powder coating?

Have you shot any of the boolits you coated yet?

I have not a clue if it is the same stuff or not, but it looks the same to my eyes.

I shot 6 of em with the 4 inch barrel installed on my Dan Wesson 15 and hit the 50 yard rock with em all. I then took the barrel off for a good inspection.......looks fine by me. This was done on some 150 grain RNFP BRP boolits..........seems like it could work, but the application process is a major . Electrically charging the boolit would seem to be the right way....but that is beyond me for the time being...........I have enough unfinished projects.

I post sized them after application and 20 minute 350 degree cure by pushing them through a lee style push through to make my uneven application look better and to theoretically make them more round. Seemed to have worked OK.

Boolit Master
    tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Looks like one of those ridiculously overpriced mall-ninja rounds.

Boolit Master

That's ridiculously cool!

I'm glad you guys are chiming in,,, it took s bit for the,, thread to catch,,,
    but hey,,, I still think,,, this is the biggest thing to happen to booooolet casting in,,, ????????? since,,, wax lube,,, whenever that was,,

I'm going to check out the Australian web sites,,

Boolit Master

How did you actually apply the Pro-Tec? What was the method to your madness. The boolit looks great. I might get a jar of the powder paint just to have some wild boolits.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    The facility I work at has a dept. that applies Epoxy Powder Coating . . . . aka Powder Paint.
    One method is dipping the preheated part in a tank of powder agitated by warm dry air. The powder in the tank has the appearance of boiling. Parts are probably in the tank for ~5secs.
    The second method is static spray. This is a similar setup

Again, our parts are preheated, then sprayed in a draft booth and on to the curing oven. The spray comes out like a fog and the 'dust' moves towards the parts and even wraps around it. Pretty weird to watch.

Don't quote me on the temps, but I recall the preheat to be ~400degF and the cure temp at ~350.

I think we preheat for a more uniform flowout of the paint.

I can ask the painters any questions you may have.

Painting some at work is not out-of-the-question, I just need to be judicious with the timing and requests for assistance.
    Don't think I haven't already showed an interest. A lot of 'government' items get coated as favors, although I've not inquired about boolits.

'da Kid
    Last edited by The10mmKid; 07-08-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    Doby

I heated up a dozen boolits to 300 degrees in the oven. Took the now hot boolits and laid them on a cold steel lid from a holiday "tin" and sprinkled the powder on and over them while moving them about until it looked like an even coating. Then took the now coated boolits and placed them back in the oven to cure at 350 .....turned the oven off and forgot about them until cool. Real similar to the way I do jigheads actually..I just do the jigs hanging from the rack though.

They came out looking ok and after a pass thru sizing they all looked pretty good but the coating was not 100% perfectly even. I did notice that the sizer actually made the paint feel slipperier than before.

Without some electrostatic means of applying the powder cold I do not see PERFECTION in the application happening though. Maybe it does not need to be perfect...............I DUNNO

I have all the flourescent colors, glow in the darks, purple, white and black.........could make one very interesting box O' ammo eh.

I did a dozen 30 caliber TL plinker boolits this morning.....I will try them in the winnie when the rain stops.

This powder only sticks to statically charged or hot surfaces.........might be a way to use either trait to your benefit...........maybehaps. If it did foul the bore at some point I am not sure how you would remove it though.

What about good old Auto paint?????????

Acrylic Enamel, Acrylic Urethane & Acrylic Lacquer

they look good,,

you can mix it and shoot it in small batches,,,,

air dry??

has anyone tried it??

Banned
    Just got in from shooting the 30/30 plinker boolits at 1k fps. Grouped just as good as my normal LLA + MICA and the bore looked fine.

Not real high on the priority list but I do intend to push some faster and retrieve one after it hits my sandpile with some speed at some point.

Boolit Master

Mike you are a flippin orange bullet shooting ninja. Now I need to get me some of that dayglow yellow powder and see if I can make me some "fancy" boolits.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Well, as long as you're putting paint on them, I'll take some silver ones with a black stripe, and some with flames down the sides.

Banned
    So far I have had the will to resist giving them a black an white eye like I do on my jigheads...........SO FAR Maybe painting them like they did the WWII planes....nah nevermind.

Banned

You guys are killin' me!!!

Gear

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast