WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Buddy

Sounds good to me. I like where this is going.

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    I would be interested in a kit for that price.

I would also be interested in a kit

Boolit Buddy
    This place:
    http://sandblastingabrasives.com/Bul...rder-Page.html

Sells 1/4 lb for $25 in the size that they recommend for coating bullets/boolits with (-5 micron.)

I think as someone mentioned earlier in the thread if you're going to use the impact method to use lead shot as it is softer than your cast boolits. Wonder what hardness the powder coating is?

They also recommend coating the bore of your rifle - wonder how they accomplish that though?

Remember, It takes a long time to get the coating in. What I order in September MIGHT get here in December. That would be the batch I would make kits from. I will experiment in the meantime and try to keep up with local sales... I wanted to launch online sales, but what is the point when I have people saying make me all you can, I'll take them. Probably just bringing in Gold and Green. Various metallic colors are available, but they all perform the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    This place:
    http://sandblastingabrasives.com/Bul...rder-Page.html

Sells 1/4 lb for $25 in the size that they recommend for coating bullets/boolits with (-5 micron.)

I think as someone mentioned earlier in the thread if you're going to use the impact method to use lead shot as it is softer than your cast boolits. Wonder what hardness the powder coating is?

They also recommend coating the bore of your rifle - wonder how they accomplish that though?
    Hardness? I believe it's right next to diamonds. Nasty looking crystals, when I first saw them I didn't want that stuff in my barrel.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Hexagonal Boron Nitride

Hexagonal Boron Nitride, HBN, is a solid lubricant and is often called "White Graphite". This material is a lubricant not an abrasive.

There is a Boron compound that is used for a lapping material and this material is very abrasive, Boron Carbide power is the laping material and this maerial is very abrasive.

HBN is used by a lot of people to coat jacketed bullets to greately reduce copper fouling in rifle barrels.

HBN is becomming more popular since it is not as messey as MOLY and the HBN does not attract mositure in the rifle bore.

A lot of High Power Rifle shooters coat their bullets with HBN since there is not any time avalable to clean the rifle bore in a normal 88 round High Power match.

A lot of High Power Rifle Shooters don't know you shouldn't clean your barrel until accuracy starts to drop off. It takes more than 88 rounds to hinder accuracy.

Boolit Master

Reading About Epoxy Paints

After reading several pages of this thread again the thought can as to what type of paint would be used as a coating for the cast lead bullets.

I got a lot of technical data from the Sherwin Williams web site and additional information on paints used to coat marine vessels.

The paint is indicated to be a one to one mixture of the curing agent and the epoxy.

From the data on the web it is indicated the 1:1 mixture usually use polyamide rather than amine as the curing agent.

Polyamides always yield cured resin that is somewhat flexible, even a bit rubbery, with only modest strength but has fracture strength and elongation and also good adhesion to surfaces that may not be too clean.

The pot life is very long and the pot life can be extended by keeping the mixed material below 40 degrees F, like in a small ice box.

Post curing like in an oven reduces the brittleness while making the material stronger and harder.

Link To THe Epoxy Coating Guide.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...gs%20Guide.pdf

If there are any paint people how about more info.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fgmachine View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. To me it sounds much more convenient than lubing for several different reasons, with that said, it still sounds like its difficult to make a coating from scratch, which is what everyone would probably like to do. It'd be nice to shoot my glock and not get leading in the factory barrel.
    HI, If you use the HI-TEK-LUBE coated products as supplied by Ferrara Leather and Bayou bullet company, you can use these in all Glock without any problems. These do not require any other lubricants to work well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Good to see ya posting again HI-TEK.
    Glad I was reinstated. I was a bit concerned when I was branded a spammer.
    I have been following trail of this discussion with interest, and had tried to direct enquiries and provide advice at request of some members.
    I am glad that I can at least communicate with all interested parties now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    After reading several pages of this thread again the thought can as to what type of paint would be used as a coating for the cast lead bullets.

I got a lot of technical data from the Sherwin Williams web site and additional information on paints used to coat marine vessels.

The paint is indicated to be a one to one mixture of the curing agent and the epoxy.

From the data on the web it is indicated the 1:1 mixture usually use polyamide rather than amine as the curing agent.

Polyamides always yield cured resin that is somewhat flexible, even a bit rubbery, with only modest strength but has fracture strength and elongation and also good adhesion to surfaces that may not be too clean.

The pot life is very long and the pot life can be extended by keeping the mixed material below 40 degrees F, like in a small ice box.

Post curing like in an oven reduces the brittleness while making the material stronger and harder.

Link To THe Epoxy Coating Guide.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...gs%20Guide.pdf

If there are any paint people how about more info.
    Hi, Your attached data on epoxies is very interesting. However, epoxy resins have poor heat stability and will soften with heat.
    If projectiles are coated with such products , especially when barrel heats up , there is tendency to have Epoxy soften and or melt coating which then tends to stick to surfaces.
    You really need coatings that would not soften at all with heat. The coating also must be able to provide some lubricity, but not too much, as highly lubricating materials will reduce internal resistance which reduces pressure build up, which may cause a fall off in accuracy. Any coating must be able to withstand the engineering requirements being required for maintaining accuracy, and no barrel wear, and no deposits. There are many areas that can be discussed but it would take me pages to explain. Hope that my post is OK

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    Hexagonal Boron Nitride, HBN, is a solid lubricant and is often called "White Graphite". This material is a lubricant not an abrasive.

There is a Boron compound that is used for a lapping material and this material is very abrasive, Boron Carbide power is the laping material and this maerial is very abrasive.

HBN is used by a lot of people to coat jacketed bullets to greately reduce copper fouling in rifle barrels.

HBN is becomming more popular since it is not as messey as MOLY and the HBN does not attract mositure in the rifle bore.

A lot of High Power Rifle shooters coat their bullets with HBN since there is not any time avalable to clean the rifle bore in a normal 88 round High Power match.
    Hi,
    Boron Nitride is a good lubricant. However, when compressed it can become an abrasive as it hardens with pressure. Manufacturers use this ability to make shapes for metal casting crucibles, as molten metals will not stick to it.
    Very thin film will work well as lubricant, but build up from constant layers being compressed on top of each deposited layer, may eventually form a solid material with exceptional hardness. I do not know, if any tests have been done to determine if hardened material will not act as an abrasive to Lead alloys. You will get the slip. but will it then possibly produce atomised Lead as well, resulting from hardened deposits?
    Interesting subject, and am wondering if any one has done such testing?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by morrisammo View Post
    that is Funny!!

they can be any color you want!! woman,, could buy them to match,, their shoes we would be rich!!
    I am aware, that in Australia and New Zealand there are Red coloured coatings that are used by Lady shooters to match their apparel.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I saw one lady cowboy using Hawkesbury River brand bullets, the blue/turquoise ones and she had nails, make up and bling to match!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Nothing wrong with looking good. Guys dig the green, but I did have a request for "Pimp Gold Bullets"

Mr Lone Colt uses a similar colour. I have those, black ones, turquoise ones and also gold ones, lol. Most of the manufacturers here just pick one colour. one company uses the turquoise for general stuff and silver for cowboy shooting (looks like plain lead). They also have black I think for some other purpose. I can't recall why.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Mr Lone Colt uses a similar colour. I have those, black ones, turquoise ones and also gold ones, lol. Most of the manufacturers here just pick one colour. one company uses the turquoise for general stuff and silver for cowboy shooting (looks like plain lead). They also have black I think for some other purpose. I can't recall why.
    Interested in the various coloured prodgies. I have not seen any Turquise or clear colored coatings, Who makes or supplied these?
    Black has been around for many years in Australia. since 1992. It is still used as it is very good product.
    I know Lone Colt well. He uses the Dark green coating.
    Do you know of others that are ofering such stuff?

Boolit Master
    Vindicator in the NT use Gold.
    John Connors uses Brown.
    Topscore gold of course.
    HRBC use the silver, copper, and brown. I used their black and blue and the coating was terrible.

I used to use the ICBM red coated back in the late 1990's they were very strange.
    Redback used black coating too in the 1990's
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Hawkesbury River, it is a greeny blue, rather bright.

Post 266 by Wildcatbrass has the picture of the blue/turquoise HRBC bullets I mentioned (along with the green bullets made by Mr Lone Colt). I can't find where I posted it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=87768&page=14

It is on page 14. I am no good with colour names.

It occurs to me that I have fired off a few thousand coated 240Gn SWCs in front of 25Gns 296 and Elmer's load of 22Gns of 2400.They are both healthy loads, especially the 296 load, but I never had a problem with deposits in the barrel.

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast