Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Thanks for the tip FFoD, just might track Joe down & try to come up with a DIY method of hardcast lubeing my boolits.

Thats if I can fit the time in from whipping & flogging myself in my spare moments.

Never really felt reloading & casting was a PITA myself.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    Thanks for the tip FFoD, just might track Joe down & try to come up with a DIY method of hardcast lubeing my boolits.

Thats if I can fit the time in from whipping & flogging myself in my spare moments.

Never really felt reloading & casting was a PITA myself.
    What I meant was,compared to just running the boolits through a lubesizer and calling it done, the coating process is very involved and then you still have to run them through the lubesizer.

If you go back through this thread, you will see contact details for Joe. On the second or third page (I think,but don't hold me to it. Good luck.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Will do, but as with my earlier question regarding the liquid lubes & lubersizer's & like, if this new type of polymer lube is successful & sells well in the States the need for a lubersizer will cease.

Lees push through style of sizing will still be needed for size, but the lubersizer wont be needed.

Anyway lets wait & see how it all pan's out.
    Last edited by Wal'; 08-04-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Nobody's asked the question as yet, but whats going to happen to all the home brew lube makers when this hard coat lube takes off.
    I go through about a thousand boolits every ten weeks.

Well, right now I am making my own boolits (230gr 45acp) for about $35 per thousand. If I were to go out and buy coated bullets from Bayou or someone else it looks like I'd be paying $90-$95 per thousand plus shipping.

Though I'd really like to eliminate the smoke (I shoot at an indoor range), I'm not likely to spend the extra $300 per year for coated boolits to do so.

On the other hand, if a decent home-brew kit becomes available that does not add to the cost appreciably i'm sure I'd go for it.

That's my problem with the whole deal. Buying boolits because they're coated isn't much different from buying any cast boolit from a manufacturer. First and foremost, they're gonna cost too much, and more than I'll pay. Then, they won't offer the designs I want. Then they won't fit my guns, and accuracy will go south. Time to get going on paper patches it looks like. A 10% tin, 2% (no antimony) copper hollowpoint will probly take all the KITA a rifle can provide and still shoot straight, and handle anything that happens terminally.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Man
    I have been trying different coatings, and recently had a company make me a small sample batch to try as a bullet coating.

My question is for the coating available in Australia, after shooting 100 rounds of 9mm bullets, is there any "leading" or polymer left in the barrel? I am getting a tiny bit, less than the normal amount of leading when a conventional lube is used.

When I was shooting the molly coated bullets I was getting much more coating left behind than I currently am. I am just curious if my goal of nothing left behind was realistic.

I understand the people that say this may take too much time, I think there has to be a way to use a mold designed for tumble lubing and a bullet coating that doesn't need a special oven. This would save lots of time and would probably be the ideal setup.
    -Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatBrass View Post
    I have been trying different coatings, and recently had a company make me a small sample batch to try as a bullet coating.

My question is for the coating available in Australia, after shooting 100 rounds of 9mm bullets, is there any "leading" or polymer left in the barrel? I am getting a tiny bit, less than the normal amount of leading when a conventional lube is used.

When I was shooting the molly coated bullets I was getting much more coating left behind than I currently am. I am just curious if my goal of nothing left behind was realistic.

I understand the people that say this may take too much time, I think there has to be a way to use a mold designed for tumble lubing and a bullet coating that doesn't need a special oven. This would save lots of time and would probably be the ideal setup.
    I have never noticed any leading at all using them. Dig the bullets out of the butt stop and the coating is invariably still intact.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I've been following the boolit coating thread as this idea is of great interest. Powder coat and bake, spray on, tumble coat. These all seem like nifty ideas. Lately I've been playing with copper electroplating and getting good results. All of these things are neat to read about and fun to try. Keep it up fellas! Frank

Joe Ban the guy that invented and markets the current coatings in Australia has been in contact with me. He is now a registered member of the site. His username is HI-TEK.

He said that he already ships to several users in the States and members here might be able to access more suitable quantities from them.

Send him a PM if you are interested. Mick.

Boolit Master
    G'day HITEK.

Thanks for your coating invention. I have been using it for many years on all the Topscore projectiles I have fired through my guns.
    I cast for my own use and would love to try some of your coating.
    I'm in northern NSW.

Thanks.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I am the inventor and supplier of the polymer coating used to coat Hard Cast projectiles and even Copper Plated and Jacketed ammo.
    The coatings have been in use in Australia for nearly 20 years, and majority of manufacturers and small clubs all use my coatings.
    It simply works without any Leading, or without any residues being left in the barrel.
    The coatinsg ahve been used in Glocks, and Rifle ammo and all calibre target shooting guns.
    The coating is Hi-Tek-Lube Supercoat, and is manufactured in Australia.
    There are people in US who now purchase and use it, and are willing to combine shipping to assist with other manufacturers who want the coatings.
    If you would like details please send me a private email and I will advise,
    HI-TEK
    Thanks Hi Tek for your contribution to the cast boolit game.

20 years is a long time, but I am confident polymer coated boolits will take off in the US.

I've been using the coating on a range of brands, Hawkesbury River, Silver Shadow, Top Score, Mr Lone Colt and a few others since the early 90s when I first saw them.
    Thousands and thousands and thousands of bullets sent down range without any leading or other problems. I'm not interested in coating my own and will continue to cast my own and use the coated commercial bullets.

Hi Joe.

I'd really like to try some of your coating. Who would I contact in the US to get a sample? Do you have an "Official US Distributor"?

What's involved in importing to the US? What kind of quantities and cost?

I haven't been able to find anyone willing to share information.

Thank You

Jerry

Hi,
    I was interested in reading your comments, that coated projectiles are a gimmick.
    We have been producing and supplying coatings for Cast projectiles manufacture in Australia for about 20 years.
    The coatings we make and supply, are an extremely Tough, Hard, durable, heat resistant coating, that acts like alubricant, so the alloy is not fragmented or shredded during firing at speeds from 600ft/sec to 3000ft/sec.
    These coatings also can be used to coat Copper Jacketed stuff to prevent Copper fouling of Barrels.
    Product is certified by independent environmental engineers that confirm that Lead alloys coated with our coatings, reduce the atomised lead emissions to same levels as Copper Coated ammo and emissions comply to both US and Australian health standards.
    Recently, two US companies started to export our coating, and, they have conducted their own evaluations to determine if the stuff actually works.
    Our products do not contain any PTFE, or Teflon or any such similar materials, as these type of ingredients are undesirable with ammo use.
    I would wellcome your enquiries, and would be happy to provide you answers to your questions
    Joe
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Mold
    Here is a smoke test and good comparison of polymer painted boolits with lubed boolits:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqBL...em-subs_digest

How do you apply this polymer? does it require baking after it is applied?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

You need take a trip to the states Joe and set up a shop there. Lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Joe it is great that you have arrived here! What type of projectile have you shot 3000 fps with your coating? Could your coating be used on a 223 bullet being driven 2700 fps? I shoot 3 gun and I would love to make my own projectiles for my ar-15 without resorting to swaging.

Thank you

You can now get the best coatings in the world, from Ferrara Leather Company, and Bayou Bullet Company.
    The coating is from Australia, and has been used there for 20 years by manufacturers. If you need more details, send me a personal message.
    Joe
    Telfon used in/on bullets is quiet dangerous I have always been told, it atomises and is quiet poisionous apparently. I don't know the exact details, but it is a real no no. Check it out (or hold your breath when you shoot, lol).

Boolit Mold
    Hi all.

I contacted Dynamic Arms and they told me that they just started production in the states.

Their US site is www.dabullets.com

I just ordered box of 500 9mm to test

will update once I get them

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    Hi all.

I contacted Dynamic Arms and they told me that they just started production in the states.

I just ordered box of 500 9mm to test

will update once I get them

I would like to know about the coating they use, The coating appears completely different from what others use. You can see a small flange on the bottom of their bullets like they were all sprayed standing up and some paint ran down and stuck to the plate they were painted on.

Could you update us on how many bullets are shot before your accuracy starts to decay? Is there any residue left behind in the barrel, and how is the smoke.

Thanks
    -Wildcat

Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast