MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Steve, have you thought about air brushing the paint on?
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

here are some .45acp bullets that i sprayed with some Krylon plastic fussion paint. the can says that it takes 7 days to cure and then will be chip proof. so i will have to wait the 7 before i can reload these and test fire them. when i do i will post back here. my test batch are 15 bullets.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Those look interesting, hope results are good.

Rick---I THINK I SEE A HOLLOW POINT HIDING IN THE FAR RIGHT!! Now, what part of the test is that going to cover?

Curious how this is going to work out.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    Rick---I THINK I SEE A HOLLOW POINT HIDING IN THE FAR RIGHT!! Now, what part of the test is that going to cover?

Curious how this is going to work out.
    yes that is a hollow point on the right side that was run through my CH4D 101 swaging die. i make hollow points from my RCBS 225 grn. RN mold. theywork very well in all my 19111's. hopefully this experiment will work. stay tuned, more to follow.
    Rick

Boolit Master

I'm watching this thread with great interest. I'm starting to consider trying some coatings on my Lee 230gr TC boolits. I'm not sure about using the H&K as a guinea pig, but I'm willing to try it out in my Glock 21 with a stock barrel.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wildcat, can you shoot me the contact info for sandstorm28?

Longwood
    I bet the hollow point bullets could be sprayed bases up if the bullets were on little pins.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post
    http://www.sandstromproducts.com/gun...t-coating.html

224 Main Street
    Port Byron, IL 61275

toll free. 1.800.747.1084
    tel. 309.523.2121
    fax. 309.523.3912
    mark@sandstromproducts.com
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    Steve, have you thought about air brushing the paint on?
    Sandstorm does have a rattle can for sale with Sandstorm 28a inside. I didn't use a spray gun because I HATE cleaning the spray guns. I have a good quality spray gun and have painted a few cars, but it just isn't fun when you have to clean the spray gun.

Yes, no problem in case anyone else here wants it here is a few of my notes from talking to them.

Sandstorm Products
    224 Main Street
    Port Bryon, IL 61275

Phone - 1-800-747-1084

I told the person who ansered I was interested in the bullet coating and I got transfered to a very knowledgeable woman. I asked question after question she answered them all. After I knew everything I wanted to know I said could you transfer me to purchasing department I will purchase a quart, she said she is a jack of all trades and could get it sent over.

I think it was just under $15 shipping on top of the quart of Sandstorm 28a

Sorry 2wheelduke beat me to it... I didn't realize it until after I typed it.
    Last edited by Silver-Silver; 04-11-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    -Wildcat

Boolit Buddy
    So $15 was shipping only. What was the cost for the quart of Sandstorm 28a?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Good to deal with someone that knows their oats, wildcat!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    I got the protec yesterday and coated 9 bullets with black. As said before it is hard to get a consistant and light coat. I have a dig. temp. gauge to keep the bullet at a consistant temp. for dipping and curing and I am using a heat gun to do both. It seems a very light temp. on the bullet of about 80 deg. to dip is right and about 250 to cure. I see no smoke and I am getting about .004 on the best and lightest coating. I drilled a small hole in the platt on the 20 gauge slugs and inserted a eye hook to suspend while coating and curing and drying. As soon as I get about 6 done to my liking I will shoot and see how it goes. I am also looking at an air fluid rig to coat. You can buy the set up from ebay for about $50 or $60, but make your own for less than $20. I Googled and found a vidio that explains what is needed and how to make one for jigs.
    Last edited by Shooter6; 04-12-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    The Sandstrom 28a cost is ~$39/qt or ~$140/gallon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1845greyhounds View Post
    Thanks.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 1845greyhounds View Post
    Thanks for telling the price, in all of my notes, I forgot to write what the paint actually cost. Also it is available in a spray can if anyone only wants to try it out. It would be a much cheaper way to see the benefits of coated bullets.
    Last edited by Silver-Silver; 04-13-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    -Wildcat

My test were an amazing success. I recovered 8 bullets. Four of which passed completely through a stump and were laying on top of the ground. Total fired was 100. One mag in rapid fire, the other mag dumps were pretty fast. No leading at all, even on bullets that had a coat so thin that there was no color. The recoverd bullets retained some on the coating. Retention ranged from 15% to 25%. I say thats pretty good for a bullet that was traveling around 1100 FPS and passed through solid wood. Next on the list is my 30-30 and 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My test were an amazing success. I recovered 8 bullets. Four of which passed completely through a stump and were laying on top of the ground. Total fired was 100. One mag in rapid fire, the other mag dumps were pretty fast. No leading at all, even on bullets that had a coat so thin that there was no color. The recoverd bullets retained some on the coating. Retention ranged from 15% to 25%. I say thats pretty good for a bullet that was traveling around 1100 FPS and passed through solid wood. Next on the list is my 30-30 and 45-70.
    Thats why they sell like crazy out here. Hard to buy non coated bullets now unless you make a special order.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Man

Boat hull paint

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Fred,
    Nice, that is taking me back to my sailing regatta days. Prepping the hull before the long races.

I am curious on how the suspended zinc in the boat hull paint would affect the barrel. It would be interesting to try. It even has a catchy name with a bullet on the can. Just so it is clear though, the paint listed by Fred is supposed to be used on boat hulls to stop growth of algae and other stuff that would slow down boats.
    -Wildcat