WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioMk View Post
    Is the paint that hard that it squeezes the boolit down more than shave the paint off? Would be interested in seeing before/after pics of sizing.
    Yes, that's probably so.
    Would be interested in seeing before/after pics of sizing.
    OK, but probably after three or four days - I'll work and will be out. Maybe I will make short video about sizing if you want, NP.

Boolit Buddy
    I really need t to try this.

Boolit Mold
    How does that work then, you cast a .356 boolit, paint and then size down to smaller than cast? Is the paint that hard that it squeezes the boolit down more than shave the paint off? Would be interested in seeing before/after pics of sizing.
    Ops, I have 2 pics but they are very poor quality:

Boolit Master

Harbor Freight has powder-coat paint for about $5 per pound, in several colors. (red, yellow, black, white) I don't know if they sell a gun to apply it.

ETA: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-p...tem-94244.html

Boolit Buddy
    They do, I've been thinking of getting one. They sell some in kits, gun, paint, and tubing.

Boolit Bub
    palmenti, that's a good set up. But I am to lazy to handle every bullet like that. I trie d coating them and hand tumbling in a box but they still stick to each other.

Boolit Man
    Would it make sense to size the boolits a few thou under before powder coating to reduce the amount of final sizing needed? Without getting carried away with custom dies, maybe sizing a 230 grain .45 down to .451 instead of .452 before coating would be a good idea. Just thinking out loud here -- just wondering about scraping paint off if sizing more than a couple of thousandths. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Good question. I wonder if the paint would adhere well to a sized (slick) boolit. I also wonder if undersized boolits painted up to size would show problems holding the rifling.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The only problem I suppose with sizing first is that you will have to use some sort of lube and tha will have to be completely removed before the coating is applied or it won't stick. My mate who coats his bullets described the coating, but I never thought to ask him about the sizing.

I think unless you were going to get into it in a big way, it would be more trouble than it is worth.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Good question. I wonder if the paint would adhere well to a sized (slick) boolit. I also wonder if undersized boolits painted up to size would show problems holding the rifling.
    Thats an interesting thought there too about having trouble holding the rifling. If plamenti is having success sizing a painted boolit down to a smaller than dropped size it doesnt seem like you would have to size before paint, just after.

Another question, are most painted boolits sold .355 like copper or are they sold larger like most people need out of boolits?

Boolit Man
    The only real downer about this whole thing may be the need to bake the powder coat. Harbor Freight has the gun for seventy-five bucks, but the oven is another thing entirely. Still, less smoke + higher velocity + no leading at all + no sticky bullets sounds like it is worth trying, even if I have to let somebody else have the fun of casting them. Then again, they do look like little lipstick cases...

Boolit Master
    Is my understanding for the heat required, most any toaster type oven will suffice.

Boolit Mold
    Most people I know that do powdercoating at home find free/cheap ovens on craigslist.

Boolit Buddy
    i've even used my heat lamp (for paint) on powder coating. it worked.

Boolit Master
    This is interesting, we have a harbor freight just down the road, may have to check it out!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master

You need about 400 degs F. to powder coat/ bake or cure the powder..Very nice stuff. Try coating the base with a super thin coat of carnauba wax...One problem with wax coating is , conductivity is needed to adhere the powder.
    Flaking or chipping with power coating is a sure sign of lack of cleaning before coating.

Boolit Master
    I just started into the kitchen to check heat range on the Wife's large toaster oven, but smelled pizza baking in it, so changed my mind. (;>)

Boolit Buddy
    Ya I looked at the wife's oven and thought twice. I think I will look for a cheap one to keep on the side of the house.

Has anyone shot a couple hundred rounds through to see how it affected the barrel if sized like a lead boolit.
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have fired thousands of the commercial polymer coated bullets with zip problem. I don't know how you would go with the powder coated ones though.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I have fired thousands of the commercial polymer coated bullets with zip problem. I don't know how you would go with the powder coated ones though.
    That is what I would like to find out. How does the powder coat affect the barrel. Been watching this tread but it doesn't seem anyone has shot excessive rounds of powder coat.
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast