WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

Boolit Mold
    Still having minor problems, but I'm working to fix them - sometimes the paint is thick and I have a problem with removing the boolits from the tray, some of the coating breaks off.
    But they are very good for me, cheap and works great.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plamenti View Post
    Still having minor problems, but I'm working to fix them - sometimes the paint is thick and I have a problem with removing the boolits from the tray, some of the coating breaks off.
    But they are very good for me, cheap and works great.
    With normal paint spraying, the only way to achieve success is to have an ultralight first coat (There is a huge temptation to lay it on straight away, lol but this is a sure way to get too thick a coat and runs. I learnt this the hard way fixing old rust bucket cars years ago).
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Is there a source of epoxypolyester paint domestically? There could be major problems importing these things. Conversely, someone might be importing them already. Is anybody pursuing either the Inver paint (dry powder might not be as problematical to import), or the Australian products? I tried the Inver UK website and it would not load. As I only speak English, I thought the Britts might be easier to understand. I'd be interested in a paint containing Moly disulfide maybe.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Just google epoxypolyester powder coating:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=15&g...0&bih=465&bs=1

And Eastwood carries the works needed: http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...FQ5ihwodzk3-4A

Boolit Mold
    If anyone does get around to ordering the paint I would buy some too. I will be loading standard 9mm and subsonic as well as subsonic 300blk. Email is scorpiomjk@yahoo.com if I forget to check this thread for a bit.

Those with any knowledge of using the paint, what happens with sizing? Before? Before and after or just after paint, or not at all?? I would love to be able to drop boolits, paint and shoot without sizing. Accuracy is not my main priority, just like to plink with friends and if I get my ffl/sot later this year I will have some hungry post samples to feed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioMk View Post
    Those with any knowledge of using the paint, what happens with sizing? Before? Before and after or just after paint, or not at all?? I would love to be able to drop boolits, paint and shoot without sizing.
    I calibrate after the paint with Lee boolits sizer dies to .355 and the sizing is smooth and easy. The size of the painted boolits increases to .362 - you decide whether to size or not.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    With normal paint spraying, the only way to achieve success is to have an ultralight first coat (There is a huge temptation to lay it on straight away, lol but this is a sure way to get too thick a coat and runs. I learnt this the hard way fixing old rust bucket cars years ago).
    Here you can't make first coat - it's only one. I consulted with a professional painter, and he says that is very important the dish and boolits surfaces to be perfectly clean - no lubricants, no oxides, no dust or dirt.
    It's needed to obtain a good static - the most important thing to become a good polymer coating.

Boolit Buddy

Its a great idea, will probably never happen on a production basis. This would drive the anti-lead bullet people crazy. It would require a large cash outlay to get started, times are hard.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Mold
    Ares (http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english) produces millions every season...

[QUOTE=Rafe Covington;1591166]Its a great idea, will probably never happen on a production basis. This would drive the anti-lead bullet people crazy. It would require a large cash outlay to get started, times are hard.

Rafe[/QUO

Polymer coated is pretty much the only way non jacketed bullets are sold in Australia.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    palmenti, if only Ares would share how they make those bullets so nice and purty.

Dobr angliski!

Boolit Master
    plamenti did explain, the epoxypolyester powder coat comes in those colors, go to Eastman here, they not only sell the powder coating, but the guns and a powder coating video guide on how to apply.

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html

plamanti did his and I am now considering trying to do some myself along with the prep for powder coating. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pre-painting-prep.html

Boolit Bub
    The bullets that Ares and other companies sale are fully coated, including the base.

Boolit Master
    Uh, ya said look nice and purty, I thought plamenti's boolits filled that bill.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by old_haidouk View Post
    palmenti, if only Ares would share...
    Not only Ares offer boolits coated with polymer paint. I give them for example, because they are damn good and their stock is with top quality.
    But unfortunately Slovakia is too far from my country, the shipping costs a lot and so I'm making such type boolits for myself.
    The bullets that Ares and other companies sale are fully coated, including the base.
    Not all, they also offer boolits with unpainted base. Just look the pictures closely.
    And here is a pic of a test performed with such boolits.

Here is some loading data (aber ist auf Deutsch ).
    http://www.wieder-lader.de/html/ladedaten.html
    Last edited by plamenti; 02-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Thats because they pour the coating on while tumbling, light coat first up, cook then another coat and cook. Makes for a pretty tough well finished product.

Here are a few samples, the blue 38 Super Bullets are from Hawkesbury River Bullet Company (pretty much the original guys who started the coated bullet scene here, changed hands a few times since) and the green ones 44s I think are from Mr Lone Colt in Lithgow, he is a one man band. They both use the same coating with different colours.

Boolit Mold
    Sizing again. You said after paint .362, then size to .355 but what was the size before paint? Kind of wondering what size they/you are dropping them, and if/or how much smaller boolits need to be at the start to do the powder coating or painting option.

It would be interesting to see what kind of paint thickness the main manufacturers aim for, if they drop .353 boolits, paint and size at 355 or if they go smaller/bigger out of the mold.

Boolit Mold
    Before paint - .356 - .357. I'm casting with Lee molds.

Boolit Mold
    How does that work then, you cast a .356 boolit, paint and then size down to smaller than cast? Is the paint that hard that it squeezes the boolit down more than shave the paint off? Would be interested in seeing before/after pics of sizing.

Boolit Mold
    From today - I'm very happy with my results. I made .356 (Lee 125 Grain 2 Ogive Radius) and .40 (Lee 175 Grain Truncated Cone) and tried some improvements. I'm still learning, but was satisfied.
    I'm using my mobile phone for a camera and the quality of the pics is not good, but it's enough to get an idea...
    The results:

The improvements:

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast