Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: lead bullets coated with polymer paint

lead bullets coated with polymer paint

FROm anyther forume,,

The new rage in Europe are painted bullets.
    These are lead bullets coated with polymer paint.
    Do you guys uses it in the US ?
    I tried some in one of my SV, in 180 grains from Dynamic Arms, and accuracy is very good.

I looked at the web site,,,

Hmmm how do they get it on the bullets evenly???

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sounds like a gimmick to me. Why bother? Are these on cast boolits, or those other types?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Why bother? less smoke...
    clean gun,,, for us 3 Gun guys,,, we shoot lots of bullets,, and with this you can shoot them out of a Glock factory barrel,, with no problem,,

this could be the biggest thing to happen with cast bullets in a long long time!

Banned
    Sounds almost like them evil NyClad bullets that rose from the depths of Haites just to kill cops.

that is Funny!!

they can be any color you want!! woman,, could buy them to match,, their shoes we would be rich!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Why would this make a difference for shooting them from a Glock?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Not a gimmick at all and nothing like the teflon coated armor piercing bullets. They are regular cast boolits with a coating applied. They reduce smoke considerably at a lower cost than jacketed and isolate the lead from your fingers while handling them. See http://www.bayoubullets.net/ I know of several top level shooters that you might see on the Outdoor Channel who use them.

David

Please think about what you write if you don't know anything about the subject. Don't give the anti crowd any more fodder.
    Last edited by David2011; 07-02-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The get it on the boolits evenly by controlling the viscosity of the polymer itself. ... felix
    felix

"""""""""controlling the viscosity of the polymer itself.""""""

Do they spray them,,, tumble them,,, how to they dry them?

where do you buy this stuff??? is it in a can?

is it a two part thing,,??

on the Glock thing,,, it has been said that,, cast bullets in a Glock,, will blow up,, so many folks will not load them,, for a Glock,
    I have shot them in a Mod 21 for years before I heard this,, and i have friends that shoot 9mm 147 fp BB,, lead with no problem,, in a Glock barrel,,

most folks ar being safe,, than rishing sorry..

Thumbs up

What makes you think it is a paint? Looks to me like a liquid dip lube like Rooster jacket.

Currently I use a commercial liquid floor polish that claims in the blurb to be an "emulsion of advanced mix of polymers and waxes". This is just a wax sealer in a water suspension that is used for lino type floors, put it on wet and then buff to a shine when dry. It says "25% solids" on the label and lists carnuba as one of the waxes. Similar products are marketed for car polishes, just look for ones that you add to water, spray on and buff to shine when dry.

How I do my bullets is I pile them, 300 to 500 at a time, on to a piece of heavy gauge polythene sheet. I pour on a couple of table spoon full of the (undiluted) polish and then roll the bullets around in it by picking up the corners of the sheet and tipping it too and fro. When they all appear be good and wet I put the sheet back down and spread the bullets out to dry. Every half hour or so I'll go back out and repeat the swirling the bullets around on the sheet to re wet the bullets. Drying takes about 3 hours give or take. Once dry you can repeat the above to give an extra coat.

The agitation bit is important, not only to get the most lube on the bullets but also to prevent them sticking together and to the polythene.

This lube works with all types of cast bullets. At present I use it with 250 Keith SWCs and 320 gr. LBT bullets with excellent results in both my Ruger Super Red Hawk and Win M94 at velocities exceeding 1600 fps. It is also reputed to work well with paper patches.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    What makes you think it is a paint? Looks to me like a liquid dip lube like Rooster jacket.

Currently I use a commercial liquid floor polish that claims in the blurb to be an "emulsion of advanced mix of polymers and waxes". This is just a wax sealer in a water suspension that is used for lino type floors, put it on wet and then buff to a shine when dry. It says "25% solids" on the label and lists carnuba as one of the waxes. Similar products are marketed for car polishes, just look for ones that you add to water, spray on and buff to shine when dry.

How I do my bullets is I pile them, 300 to 500 at a time, on to a piece of heavy gauge polythene sheet. I pour on a couple of table spoon full of the (undiluted) polish and then roll the bullets around in it by picking up the corners of the sheet and tipping it too and fro. When they all appear be good and wet I put the sheet back down and spread the bullets out to dry. Every half hour or so I'll go back out and repeat the swirling the bullets around on the sheet to re wet the bullets. Drying takes about 3 hours give or take. Once dry you can repeat the above to give an extra coat.

The agitation bit is important, not only to get the most lube on the bullets but also to prevent them sticking together and to the polythene.

This lube works with all types of cast bullets. At present I use it with 250 Keith SWCs and 320 gr. LBT bullets with excellent results in both my Ruger Super Red Hawk and Win M94 at velocities exceeding 1600 fps. It is also reputed to work well with paper patches.
    I will have to shop,, for some,, floor wax,, and give that a try!!

Jim

Banned

Yup, lead blows up Glocks every time! That's why there are so few living boolit casters.

I wish I had an edit button for every time I read " I heard that ....blah blah. "

Here's some more good ones: A drop of sweat falling into a pot of molten lead will cause it to explode. Tumbling loaded ammo creates a bomb or at least deteriorates powder. Shooting bullets made from old wheel weights will ruin your barrel. Dacron will ring your chamber. All common misconceptions, and because one dude who didn't know what he was doing shot a glock that was leading terribly and didn't pay attention to the increasing pressures shot it until it finally blew up. I guess there is a reason my Wife's hair dryer has this warning label on the side: DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING.

Sorry for the rant, Morrisammo, it wasn't directed at you but those you hear these things from. It's always wise to err on the side of caution in this potentially dangerous business of reloading, casting, and shooting, but there's enough unqualified misinformation being propagated about our hobby without our help.

Gear

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Down Under, you can only buy cast bullets with this coating. I have not seen any with wax lube in the grooves in a couple of years. What I am using in my 686 at the moment are 125gr Conical flat points made buy Hawkesbury River Bullet Co. They used to be painted black (they called them Black Hawkes), but now they are Greeny/Blue. No leading, even up to 1500fps. Other companies are using black finish. Another brand (cannot remember the name), use gold coloured finish.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    I was getting them back in the 1990 from one of my accounts in Germany FRANKONIA JAG
    Wolfsburg they were gold .think their tumbled like molly
    Anyone ever try powder coating paint in a tumbler ??

So....... What is this stuff? Also - Andrew - What KIND of floor coating are you using (brand and name?). Please.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

painted ....coated in some way .... anyone recall the winchester lubaloy ? or the blue barnes ? yup should work just as well for cast , and it should be less messy than moly !! now there's a plus ! and the soon to be next fad ? camo boolits so they dont see them coming in truth the spray moly ( made by various companies) and the spray graphite ( such as midway's drop out ) work to some degree tho the applying equally was always the hard part ( at least for me ) i'm guessing that primer and bullet sealer is a lacquer or polymer of some kind and while cold it's hard but under heat and pressure would be fluid to some extent ....

check them out,,

http://ammo.dynamic-arms.com/

look at the pic's of the bullets on the web pagee,,,

BLUE

Boolit Master
    I guess one more step in boolit making be ok if it saves time cleaning barrels.

If you cast several weights, same style boolit, Color code them save time sorting them when they all fall on the floor.

I think Precision bullet here in the states has the coated boolits also.

Mike

plz note that the bases arent covered and one in the center shows this ,another to the left shows a "flashing" of blue polymer ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00006-20100309-1045 blu.jpg  
    Last edited by fryboy; 07-04-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: edit for add..the foto didnt stick [?????}

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, to say the least. But, how can we get them? What do they cost? No dealers in US.

Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast