WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 30-30 loads\

Boolit Bub

30-30 loads\

I have just got my bullets ready and inventoried the powder.

boolet weight 144 gr and 142 gr plainbase flat point

powders available 4895, 4350, 3031

cci large rifle

cases new unfired winchester.

Any suggestions before I go buy more powder. and if I have to get new, which powder is best for cast 144 and 142 gr bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Between 5 and 6.5 gr of Bullseye will be best with the "144 gr and 142 gr plainbase". No filler of wad needed or advised. Best practical accuracy will be in the 1150 1200 fps range. A very good plinking load can be had in the 3-4 gr Bullseye range at 800-900 fps.

Larry Gibson

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    You HAVE powder for full power, gas check bullet loads. For the plainbase you'll have to slow 'em down. the CAS guys will know what will work, or Larry, of course.

Banned

imr has some excellent low end loads in their little pamplet. under the cowboy section.

Banned

I wouldn't be scared of the 3031, personally. My fave with pb cast in the 150-170 range is 748, near book minimums. Almost fills the case, burns clean, no leading issues, and drives tacks with my newly firelapped Marlin. For short-range plinking, try what Larry said.

Years ago, before I really knew more than what was contained in two reloading books, I had great success with Unique in the .30-30 with boolits as light as 115 grain and heavy as the ancient 183 grain Lyman Loverin gc. Wish I still had access to those old moulds.

Gear

3031 works for me in lots of 30-30 applications. I've used some other powders as well, but 3031 is a nice one for anyone with a 30-30 to keep on hand. I probably use more of it, 748, and AA5744 in this caliber and 35 Remington than I do any others. I wouldn't be without a can of Unique or 2400, either. Check your loading manuals though, before trying much of anything on any load of any caliber. There's some websites out there that have guys posting that seem to have tried some pretty crazy sounding stuff. Most all of the guys on this here website would probably tell you pretty much the same thing. We not only like our guns and boolits, we enjoy keeping our fingers and faces as well.