WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mold suggestions for 380?

Boolit Buddy

mold suggestions for 380?

First I am a noe guy already, have the handles ect, I do have the noe 225g 300blk and 135g 9mm pc designs and had great luck. My dad just got a s&w 380 and I am going to start loading for him, what do you guys recommend. Noe has an 88 and 100, and lee has 95 and 102. I powder coat and love the smooth side bullets but noe doesn't make them for 380 weight range and said it will be a year before they even try to add to the selection. so what are your suggestions?

I have the Lee 102g...it shoots well...but usually low out of my S&W 380BG. I recently switched to a 358242 92gr...but unfortunately I just cast and PC'd them last weekend...but haven't been out to the range yet. (Traveling for the next few weeks.)

If you're looking for a little heavier...the 102gr is a good feed for the little pistol.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Not exactly a target pistol, but I used to cast a 90gr. RN for a life long friend's Class III MAC in .380.
    I can't remember if it was a RCBS or Lyman though.

For what it is, and firing from an open bolt, it did well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I also have the Lee 102 gr. but I much prefer the Lyman 356242 (90 gr.) for .380 in my Bersa.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

NOE moulds are my first choice ... but I don't see much for the 380 auto right now ...
    I like flat spots on my boolits and the 380 auto could use a flat meplat ...
    Lee 358-105-SWC more truncated cone than SWC but it has worked well in my 9mm Luger and in my brothers 380 Auto .
    If you are going to powder coat them ... look at the Lee TL356-95-RF ... that rascal has a nice meplat , a little round shoulder for feeding , weight is listed at 95 grains and powder coated ... it should be just the ticket for 380 Auto .
    Mybe try a double cavity Lee mould untill NOE can get around to making exactly what you want ... I've done that a time or two !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    I recently received the MP 358-100 HP PB 4 Cavity Mold NLG. It is an outstanding mold for 380 if you powder coat and want the hollow point option.
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...o-lube-groove/

Boolit Master
    The Lee 102 (mine drop at 108) was easy to get working in my 380. The round nose feeds good and shoots good but is not something I would recommend for any kind of defensive application.

I have a custom 85 gr truncated cone NLG that I also like.

I like the looks of the NOE 88 for a 380 better than the 100. A non-hollowpoint 5 cavity would be most tempting if I were shopping.

Boolit Master

Lee 358-105.

Boolit Master

Have ran a bunch of the lee 95 rf powdercoated out of several 380's and they shoot well, but require deep seating when powdercoated to feed well. Just got the Arsenal 358-100 which is simular but with a bit more taper that looks like it will solve this problem, but have not had a chance to cast any with it yet. Btw, if you see it, grab some cfe pistol powder. This stuff is excellent in 380, allowing mild lead loads or +p jacketed with very little muzzle flash and mellow recoil impulse.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I have a NOE 358-100 2 cavity PB. with 3 pins, they cast: solid = 101 gr, Cup point= 97gr and LHP=90 gr. It drops 0.359" dia.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    The classic bullet for the .380acp is the Ideal/Lyman 356242 (90gr variant). The problem is, you'll probably never see this in a 4-cavity mold. I've only seen 1 and 2 cavity molds. I WISH Mihec would make one of those in his 8-cavity Aluminum mold, or even a 6-cavity brass mold... But so far, my wishes have gone unheard. Maybe someday he'll hear my cries...

BUT, you can get it in a 4-cavity mold from NOE: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod.../359-93-rn-s3/

In my experience, this is the best bullet for the .380, though some are very fond of the Ranchdog RNFP - Which Lee's 100gr version is very close.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    The Lee 95 grain round flat mold is good in my 2 380s. I run it with W231 and powder coat it. Plus the 6 cavity rains boolits. Couple hours casting keeps it fed for a long while.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 356404 is my top choice, but good luck finding one.

As other have said, the Lee TL357-95-RF is a good one & can be found in a 6cav. It runs good in Colt Mustangs and Browning 1911-380s powder coated or with Lee alox.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

The Ranch Dog can be had in several formats:

NOE TL-358-100-RF

Lee TL-356-95

Accurate 35-098R. If tumble lube is not your thing, 35-098S. . . or like you say, just powder coat it. Of the three, Accurate will let you customize the diameter for your alloy.

These are similar in shape to Winchester's Q4206 flat point FMJ profile. I've tested them to feed in the PPK, Colt 1908, FN 1910/22, and Glock 42, and a friend can vouch for the Ruger LCP. Since hollowpoints are of dubious benefit at the .380's speed and throw-weight range (insufficient penetration), these wide meplat options are about your best bet.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

The 358242 has always worked best for me.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I will toss in another vote for the Lee 358-105 SWC boolit.

Boolit Master

The little Lee round nose is among the small number of boolits that I have had first time out success with. That is, I loaded up some rounds and shot them with no bobbels , they just worked with a small dose of 700X providing the push.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    The Lee 95 grain round flat mold is good in my 2 380s. I run it with W231 and powder coat it. Plus the 6 cavity rains boolits. Couple hours casting keeps it fed for a long while.
    I also use that 95 gr Lee mold, and it functions perfectly in my FEG PA63. It feeds well in spite of its flat nose. If it's not something you are going to use a lot, a two cavity Lee will keep you going at low initial cost.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I have had good results with a Lee TL-356-95RF. These drop at .358 from my 2 cavity mold. Shooting as cast with Lee tumble lube these work well in a PK380 and give decent accuracy.

Moderator Emeritus

Another user of the Lee 95 gr. PC it and forget about the tl.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast