WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: .38 s&w

Boolit Bub

Smile .38 s&w

I'm using 358311 to load for my .38 s&w (not .38 special) and I hope to use WSF or 2400. Can anyone recommend some loads I could use? The boolit is 158 gr.

Thanks ahead of time!

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    2400 (or similar) would be really slow for this capacity case. I load A LOT of .38 S&W for my 38 Webleys, and I prefer Unique or Red Dot.

How much powder you use really depends on the weapon you are loading for! ....A S&W Victory Model or a WWII vintage Webley will easily accommodate a load that pushes a 150 grainer along at 750 fps: ......But I would never even consider firing such a load in one of the Turn-of-the-Century small frame top-breaks!!

Also keep in mind that your 358311 will probably be undersize unless you are doing some serious fiddling! .......The SMALLEST bore found in my group of 38 Webleys is .361"!! I size for .363", and the difference in accuracy when compared to loads using .358" diameter boolits is quite simply "Night and Day"!!! ......With the proper diameter boolit, I have no problem rolling beer cans around on the 50 yard plinking range!

Go for it! .......It's a fun little caliber to shoot, and it is economical to load. (.......And even though it is most definitely NOT a "Big Ass Kicker", ......I have NEVER met anyone who would voluntarily stand in front of a 630 fps 200 grain load!)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I shoot a nice S&W Regulation Police from 1935/36. I cast Ideal 358246 from 50/50 ww/pb. Drops at .361, I pan lube unsized and load over 2.15 gr. of Bullseye. Bullet weighs 147 gr. as loaded and duplicates Winchester factory loads and is wonderfully accurate in the little "I" frame.

Super Moderator

..............Here's some fun stuff having to do with the 38 S&W: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75914

What revolver are you shooting this butt kicking cartridge in?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I think that the 38 short and weak would be a good candidate for WSF and there is always a chance that it may not prove out.
    I know that WSF is great in large cap cases with heavy boolits, small cases with lighter boolits , and +P to +P+ loads.

It is not good in a 38 spl with 125 grain boolits ( radical speads ) with any charge that I have tried even though its just fine with light loads using 158 grain boolit.

WSF works great in light 44 magnum loads with 240 grain boolits too.

I kinda get the feeling that 2400 might be a bit slow for light pressure loads. Unless you can find published load data I would think don't.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight