RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy do i need help!

Boolit Buddy

Boy do i need help!

FINALLY got my lube in had awhile to use the old LAM11 again. stuck in a stick of hollow speed green, placed a lightly pre lubed cast .44 250 gr. SWC, lowered the handle and lightly rotated the top screw until i felt resistance, tightened some more, and raised the handle. LUBE EVERYWHERE. top of boolit to the bottom. did the sensible thing and read the instructions off the net. says to decrease the depth of seating by raising part L. i have raised part L until it is as high as it will go (against part K), raised the bar, part N as high as it will go and i still am getting lube all over the boolit. i have run 2 thru it w/out tightening the top screw until the boolits are coming out dry, then very lightly, barely tightening the top screw again (yes the boolit is already in the sizing die when i do this), and the lube still covers the boolit almost to the tip. i took out the die and it says .428 on the top of it. the top punch is part of the original set up but when i ordered the die and remember confirming it was for this die. been a long day and i am too tired and disgusted to continue this tonight. what am i doing wrong?? THANKS john

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    John, make sure you hold the ram down on the bullet firmly as you add the lube. Sometimes it will creep on you if not held down. Hope this helps.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Was it a bevel base boolit?
    Those are the pits to deal with.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Super Moderator

.............The ejector pin stop should almost be able to keep you from running the boolit into the die far enough to get ANY lube if it's all the way up. If you're getting lube out of the bottom of the die also, it could be a too small ejector pin.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    John, The best way to start is to take a few pics.
    Then post them.
    I am sure someone has had the same problem.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Sounds to me like maybe someone enlarged the sizing die, and lube coming up around your boolits.

I'd take the die out and see if your boolit will fall through it . . . if it is not tight, in other words not sizing, it will let the lube up past it.

What size are your boolits dropping at?

I have also found that hot days and soft lube ends up being messier . . .

Here is what my instructions say:

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-28-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Add pictures
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    FINALLY got my lube in had awhile to use the old LAM11 again. stuck in a stick of hollow speed green, placed a lightly pre lubed cast .44 250 gr. SWC, lowered the handle and lightly rotated the top screw until i felt resistance, tightened some more, and raised the handle. LUBE EVERYWHERE. top of boolit to the bottom. did the sensible thing and read the instructions off the net. says to decrease the depth of seating by raising part L. i have raised part L until it is as high as it will go (against part K), raised the bar, part N as high as it will go and i still am getting lube all over the boolit. i have run 2 thru it w/out tightening the top screw until the boolits are coming out dry, then very lightly, barely tightening the top screw again (yes the boolit is already in the sizing die when i do this), and the lube still covers the boolit almost to the tip. i took out the die and it says .428 on the top of it. the top punch is part of the original set up but when i ordered the die and remember confirming it was for this die. been a long day and i am too tired and disgusted to continue this tonight. what am i doing wrong?? THANKS john
    I experienced the same problem with the Lyman 429667 (240 gr RNFP) Cowboy bullet and a Lyman sizer die in my Lam II. No matter how much I adjusted the ejector rod (J), the lube wouldn't stay in the lube grooves. I temporarly fixed the problem by using a brass washer between the ejector rod (L) and the bullet ejector screw. By doing this, I was able to increase the length of the ejector rod and get a properly lubed bullet. If you try this method, make sure you use brass or copper for a spacer, so as not to ruin the threads on the ejector screw. Never had this issue before, when I used only RCBS sizers in my Lam II. I'm thinking it may be that the Lyman sizers have two rows of lube holes in the die body versus only one row in the RCBS die body. If I had a lathe, I would make a slightly longer ejector rod and solve any future problems of this sort. I guess I could try plugging one row of lube holes in the Lyman die but I probably will just buy a RCBS sizer.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Take the die out of the luber and in the upper most lube holes drive in #4 lead shot to plug them then reinstall the die and readjust for proper groove filling.
    Some will say you don't have to do this with this type luber but in some cases you do.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Was it a bevel base boolit?
    Those are the pits to deal with.
    no, its a FB

Boolit Buddy
    SUBJECT TO BE REVISITED....I HOPE! gotta get ready for the hurricane for now. again. laters.

Boolit Grand Master

And they say pan lubing is a pain!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............The ejector pin stop should almost be able to keep you from running the boolit into the die far enough to get ANY lube if it's all the way up. If you're getting lube out of the bottom of the die also, it could be a too small ejector pin.

.............Buckshot
    the ejector PIN STOP (part N) is like 1" below the bottom of the ejector pin when parts K and L are screwed up all the way topwards. theres no way it could limit the travel downwards of the boolit being lubed. so.............WHAT NOW?? HELP! AND THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Boolit Buddy
    ADD ON..........when the boolit is being lubed the ejector pin free falls until the head rests against the frame (where part K is) but of course on the top of the frame not the bottom where K is. clear as mud?

i took the lock rod nut ( k ) off for some boolits , on my old lyman i installed it on the top

In Remembrance
    deleted...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    Take the die out of the luber and in the upper most lube holes drive in #4 lead shot to plug them then reinstall the die and readjust for proper groove filling.
    Some will say you don't have to do this with this type luber but in some cases you do.
    guess i will have to try that next. or else just buy a star and be done w/the problems but dam i hate to do that for the small amt. of casting/lubing i do. maybe i'll have a longer ejector rod made.

Boolit Master

Is there heat in the mix here? I had this problem with my LAMII when I first started with a hard lube and heater... turns out the adjustment was waaaay to high. Lots of lube everywhere too.

d

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Is there heat in the mix here? I had this problem with my LAMII when I first started with a hard lube and heater... turns out the adjustment was waaaay to high. Lots of lube everywhere too.

d
    97deg and 85% humidity is all.

lam2

I got so tired of messing with my lam2 and cleaning lube of of bullets where it was not supposed to be that I did go out and buy a star machine and have not regretted also the lam2 paid for over 1/2 of the star well worth the money I spent D Crockett

Moderator Emeritus
    sergeant69,

You can adjust part "N" so that it is higher and the part "J" hits the stop much sooner. This will also limit the downward travel of "J".

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast