RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Battery Clamps for lead?

Boolit Master

Question Battery Clamps for lead?

I picked up a couple of small batches of wheel weights today. As I poured one container into another there lay a lead battery clamp from a car/truck battery,. It had some of the white corrision/oxidation on it. I know that it is a really bad idea to use battery plates for lead, partly because you can't get all the acid out so it does bad things especially to barrels. So my big question is, should Itoss out the 20 or so pounds of wheel weights or is it okay to go ahead and use them? I did toss the battery post clamp, but a little of the white junk got onto some of the weights. So keep or just toss? What say you?

Thanks,

Ron

Boolit Master

Ron, I think the main reason not to use battery plates is the newer batteries have calcium in the plates and that does your alloy no good at all for casting. The battery terminals are likely pure lead or nearly so and the corrosion shouldn't be any problem at all. There is no way any acid could be left in lead after it has been smelted.

Smile

And that corroded stuff will skim off with the dross. I use 'em and don't worry about it.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

On Heaven's Range

An even worse factor in battery plates is that they contain CADMIUM, which is a rather dangerous heavy-metal poison for humans and other living things.

Clamps should be just fine, as others have mentioned. They are very soft, and probably need some assistance before being really useable for anything much more demanding than muzzle-loaders, etc.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I was more worried about the corrision/oxidation perhaps carry acid than anything. I would rather toss out 20 pounds or so than ruin something.

Thanks again, you've put my fears to rest.

Ron