Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 308 gallery loads lee 160

Boolit Mold

308 gallery loads lee 160

I'm looking for a load to use in my 308 using Lee 160 cast lubed in liquid alox. I'm leaving off the gas checks and want to keep the loads below 1400fps. The barrel has a 1 - 13 twist.

I am doing this to maximize my range time and would like to run this through my RL550b press. I do have some Red Dot but understand that Clays burns cleaner. Would Clays be a better choice? What about Trail Boss? Another consideration would be the ease of metering through the Dillon powder measure?

Boolit Grand Master

I use Bullseye with such reduced loads and have found GC'd bullets sans the GC most often are most accurate below 1150 fps. I'd suggest starting with 5 gr and working up in 1/2 gr increments until accuracy goes south. No filler or wad needed with Bullseye. Trail Boss also would seem to have distinct possibilities from all reports but I have not worked with it so can not give any results, perhaps others have. Hornady lists 5 gr Trail Boss as a starting load for a PB'd 160 gr cast bullet for the 30-30 so that's were I'd start. Velocity with it is listed at 997 and they top out at 9gr at 1195 fps. Using a .308W I would probably work up in 1/2 gr increments to 10 gr.

Have you worked with an full throttle loads with that bullet in the 13" twist? I ask because, while I haven't tried that bullet, I regularly shoot 2400 -2600 fps with cast 160 gr bullets in my 14" .308W.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-25-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Larry

I'll try both Bullseye and Trail Boss. I'm practicing with a sling and want to get good at it. Eventually I expect to compete shooting Palma.

I haven't tried loads that get me over 2200fps. I have used Alliant Steel to get over 2100 fps with gc 160 gr bullets. Accuracy was good at 16 grns. 17.5 grs was where I noticed pressure was getting warm on that particular rifle. I used Herco data and ever so carefull increased the loads. Evenually I will be shooting a load that gets the bullet in the 2400 -2600 fps range, because I will practicing at 300 yds as well.

I'm hoping that this will help me with my ability to read the wind under 300 yards which is where I hear the wind has the most impact on the bullet.

Boolit Mold

cast loads for .30/06

Larry Gibson,
    You mention 2400-2600 fps with 160 gr cast, is that with or without gas checks? I am trying to develop a load for an Enfield 30/06 with 165 gr plain base beveled cast boolits with BHN of 18 and wonder if I need to keep velocity subsonic or if going up to 2000 plus with H4895 is an option with this boolit. You seem to have lots of experience with loading cast, so I would appreciate your help.

In my experience, once you pass 1200 fps (and maybe even 1000), you have to use a gas check or accuracy will be dismal.

My favorite gallery load for either the 30-30 or the 308 uses the Lee 170 FP sized to .309" and tumble-lubed, naked base. No fillers, ever. I seat it over 7.0 of 700X, but I've tried a dozen other fast flake powders from Bullseye through Green Dot with about equal success. RedDot, Clays and American Select worked especially well, as did the now-discontinued Solo 1000. All at the seven-grain level and all deliver from 1000 to 1200 fps. If the accuracy isn't what you seek, back the load DOWN a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtdun View Post
    Larry Gibson,
    You mention 2400-2600 fps with 160 gr cast, is that with or without gas checks? I am trying to develop a load for an Enfield 30/06 with 165 gr plain base beveled cast boolits with BHN of 18 and wonder if I need to keep velocity subsonic or if going up to 2000 plus with H4895 is an option with this boolit. You seem to have lots of experience with loading cast, so I would appreciate your help.
    In an '06 with a 10" twist (your M1917) will shoot most regular cast bullets up through 1950 fps and give best accuracy. 4895 with a dacron filler is a very good combination for this. To go above that velocity requires slower powders and very, very good fit of the bullet. Myself and many others get acceptable accuracy (the defintition of "best" and "acceptable" accuracy varies with the rifle's accuracy potential and the shooters marksmanship ability) with some bullets up through 2200 fps is achieveable. If any reasonable accuracy is to be had above that then specially designed bullets are needed and special loading techniques. Even then consitent accuracy can be very elusive in the 2400+ fps range with such a rifle as yours.

In the example I was referring to I was using Use a 311466 in a 14" twist Palma barrel that is 27.5" long. That is a different animal than your M9117.

Larry Gibson