Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's - Just gotta love them!

Boolit Master

Smile Wife's - Just gotta love them!

This morning I opened my email and found this:

------------------------

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob83.html

Thought you might like this for a few reasons: not that you need another gun: L.O.L.
    However, if it is ideal, then why not.

UR Wife 4 Life,
    Cyndi

-------------------------

I don't have a 1911, but . . . you just never know . . . I never really had much interest in them . . . I don't even have the last TWO guns I bought on gunbroker in my hands yet!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Well, if you've never had much interest in one, I wouldn't get one. Get something that you WOULD like better and is comfortable to your hand. It is about fit and control. If you don't practice much, one that does the first, will do the second much better. If YOU don't like it for ANY reason, you won't be happy.

A double action revolver is much more reliable in a pinch- a single action revolver is even better. Stay cool and make shots count (head shots, if necessary), and you won't have to worry about reloading. A fight shouldn't last for more than the initial loading/magazine anyway. Someone or something should be down and out before a reload is necessary.

45 ACP is a proven manstopper- but, if I were you, I'd get something with sufficient power that you can properly place your shots with as above. Not knowing your build, and skill level- I would suggest at least a 357 Magnum with HP loads, or a larger caliber 44 Special to 45 Colt.

In Ayoob's words at the end of the article- "the 1911 .45 auto is better suited to the skilled and dedicated practitioner than to the amateur."
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 06-26-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    Well, if you've never had much interest in one, I wouldn't get one.
    I wouldn't get one for another reason. It's hard to stop at one!
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    on a separate note, you seem to be quite the lucky man. go 10mm

On Heaven's Range

Y'know, there's no doubt that I fall well-within the envelope of those called "old timers", although I don't really consider myself in that light.

However, I've been a serious student of guns and shooting for upwards of fifty years. In that span, I've probably owned, handloaded-for, and FIRED (a lot) virtually every major rifle and handgun system that's come along since the dawn of the metallic cartridge.

Having done this fifty-odd-year "test", my personal "using" battery has cooked down to a relative few guns. Service-type rifles include the FAL, Mini-14, M1, M1A and AR-15. Hunting rifles (centerfire), run the usual gamut from .223 to .416. Carry-type handguns embrace several 9mms, a .45 SIG 220.....and THREE 1911 .45s with a fourth under very serious consideration. Plus a few S&W revolvers, of course.

It's my firm belief that there is simply no better personal-defense pistol than a 1911. Some may be just as good (see that SIG 220) but in owning hundreds of guns and firing many thousands of rounds downrange, I have found nothing better. Yes, I've tried the plastic-fantastic creations of the last several decades, but at least for *me*, the 1911 works wonderfully. The latest one I'm considering is an original aluminum-frame Commander from the 1950s. It weighs and bulks the same as my SIG, but....go figure!

Anyone who hasn't given a 1911 a good, honest trial owes it to himself to do so, if only so he knows what the rest of us are talking about. You might even fall in love with the old girl, as millions already have done!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

It's my firm belief that there is simply no better personal-defense pistol than a 1911. Some may be just as good (see that SIG 220) but in owning hundreds of guns and firing many thousands of rounds downrange, I have found nothing better. Yes, I've tried the plastic-fantastic creations of the last several decades, but at least for *me*, the 1911 works wonderfully. The latest one I'm considering is an original aluminum-frame Commander from the 1950s. It weighs and bulks the same as my SIG, but....go figure!

Anyone who hasn't given a 1911 a good, honest trial owes it to himself to do so, if only so he knows what the rest of us are talking about. You might even fall in love with the old girl, as millions already have done!

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

+2 for the 1911. even though that first shot should count...when your heart is beating 1000beats per minute, sometimes it just doesnt connect. that second thru 8th shot is comforting.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    John Moses Browning is my hero. The 1911 is my favorite sidearm. Tried and True will always out perform New and Improved on the battlefield.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master

I just never shot one . . . don't quite under stand the "cocked and locked" phrase . . .

I've been very happy with my Ruger Blackhawk and SP101 in 357 mag, also got a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag . . .

I know there is a lot of interest out there in a .45 1911 . . . just never got around to it . . . yet . . .

The only auto hand gun I have had (sold it) was a Glock 19 . . . I really like my revolvers, and could not see the benefit of 16 rounds of inferior power and loss of accuracy . . . so I sold it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Maybe I just need to try one . . . what is a good example to try . . . I have big hands! (lets say for under $1000) That is why I like my Alaskan . . . My little SP 101 needed new Houge grips to make it work . . . I don't practice as much as I should, but I try to send out a few hundred rounds a month, once in awhile it is close to 1000.

Of course you know that this will mean that I will need to buy even more molds (got three ordered now . . . two from Mihec, one 359 and a 434, plus a 314 from Swede) and of course dies, and more powder . . . and make a holster for it . . .

My "build":

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Well, I haven't read anything on this post that I can completely disagree with. I will say this - I just bought my 4th 1911. It's of course a real sweetheart. I own other semi auto pistols and a raft of revolvers. Maybe this recent 1911 will be my last. But then I said that after the one before!! enjoy Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I have put something around 100,000 rounds through 1911s and had the good fortune to have one handy during a more serious "social situation".

I like my revolvers, and other guns, and the plastic guns have their place but nothing feels quite like that old pair of gloves, or well worn shoes when I pick it up like a 1911 does. Add to that stellar accuracy and easy to carry and I really can not find much not to like!
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
    - Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

"The most effective way to find ourselves enslaved
    will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I always had a theoretical fondness for the .45 1911A1 until late one night many years ago in Charleston, SC. After that, it was a practical confidence (and gratitude).

He fired 5 times, missing. I fired once, missing. Well, at 40 yards and at night, whatduyahwant?

Mine was the last shot of the debate. The explosion that echoed off the buildings and burst of blue-yellow flame that looked about 8 feet long convinced all involved that further examination of the issue would not prove of profit to instigator.

Things were quiet in that neighborhood for weeks thereafter.

Boolit Master
    1911 pistols are addictive. I used to have twelve, but hve trimmed them back to only five. I have never had a malfuntion that wasn't caused by my trying to use the 45ACP cases too long. Up to fifty reloads will severly deform the rim which will not let the rim engage the extractor.

I used the 45ACP in IPSC for twenty years.

I have collected about 10,000 rounds of brass over the years and have 10,000 large pistol primer and fourteen pounds of 231, so I'm set for whats left of my life.

The downside of a 1911 is that you need a competent pistolsmith do a trigger job and tune the recoil system. Altho, I understand that the newer, non Colt versions are ready to run out of the box.

A little over 50 years ago 1911A1 was my first only centerfire pistol. It remained such, for four very active years. With it, I learned how to shoot, reload and depend on a handgun. It sided me many nights in the West Texas deserts and mountains. It killed lots of critters and got me out of one very tought social situation.

Today, I have all manner of handguns, but the 1911 still is at the top of my list. I learned it's virtues early on in life and have not forgotton those lessons. Today, I have three of them, and one of them is the first one I pick up. The myriad of other pistols get less and less use these days, and I find myself becoming a one gun (well three) man all over again.

The 45 Automatic is not the perfect gun for everybody, but for me it is as close to perfect as I have found. It feels like an extension of my body and I trust it far more than any human being.

Over the years, I have learned to work on them and they are just like a T model Ford in simplicity once you get the hang of it.

Boolit Master

I was just poking around on gunbroker . . . seems that the rock island and citadel are the bottom of the heap . . . would they be a gun worth looking at? Or will they not give me a clear accurate view of what a 1911 is all about?

Seems that some new S&W's are in my price range . . . and some colts, I think this looks like a decent colt http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=175412904 a few kimbers are under $1000 . . . we just got back from getting groceries, and were talking during the 30 min ride about this . . . Cyndi was saying that if it would be a good gun to have we should get one . . . even though they don't hold a lot more rounds than my 44 mag it might make the difference . . .

I have a friend (yes I do too!) that I think has a couple of 1911's . . . I do believe that he showed them to me one day, showing me what a good light trigger was all about . . . one was some special kimber, the other was a wilson something or other, both much more money than I want to spend at this time . . . ($3,000 - $5,000!) I don't want to shoot his expensive models as I'm sure I would never then be happy with a "regular" one!

Boolit Master

123, if you have big hands the para double stack feels nice, ive got one and it shoots with any other 1911 ive had my hands on.

Boolit Master

I say I have large hands, but I really only take a "large" or "XL" size glove, I do have long fingers . . . well . . . most of them anyways! I got the middle finger on my right hand amputated, so I'm missing from the last joint on . . . I have seen much larger hands which dwarf mine!

I do have small wrists, which makes my hands seem larger!

If I were to buy a gun, I'd want stainless, and a decent gun, that if I decide I don't care fore it, I can sell it easily, and not loose my shirt!

Boolit Master

heres a good 1911 for big hands, holds 13 +1 of the nasties. one of my home defense guns.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S6300459.jpg  

123, I have a Colt XSE govt model (full size model of what you linked) that off-hand, will put 40-50 rounds in a paper plate, at a moderate pace, at 25 yards every sunday morning. It is absolutely my "go-to" gun.
    On certain occasions, you just need to have a gun. When being attacked by a 1000 pound grizzly bear you don't pepper spray him like he was a mugger in central park. - James Norton

On Heaven's Range

On the subject of wives, I came home from Reno last week and told my wife about the SWEETEST #1 Ruger I have ever laid eyes upon in all my born days. This was a #1A in 7x57 at Scheel's, with a stock made from what looked like exhibition-grade Circassian walnut....it was an INCREDIBLE piece of wood!

The price wasn't bad, but I didn't think I should pay it right then.

SO, as stated, I mentioned it to my wife, who happened to be going to Reno on Wednesday. Turns out that she went to the store, intending to buy it and stash it for me until next Christmas! Sadly, it was gone....but she's pulled this act in the past with guns I wanted, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to find if it was REALLY gone, or she's just funnin'. How long to Christmas, anyways???

(Hope, hope, hope)
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen