Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique 45-70 Load Data

Boolit Master

.460 UNSIZED lubed with lla/jpw mix in my 95 and no leading with 15gr of Unique and no fillers using LP primers. These are Ranch Dog 350 grain boolits cast from ac ww.

Boolit Master
    trailboss all the way for my 1873 trap ,easy on the old shoulder

Boolit Buddy
    Big45/70 is the backing on your target holder all torn up? possibly causing it to look like it is keyholing when a boolit hits a torn up spot and making an uneven hole, Just grasping at straws here, seems like if a boolit is keyholing it wouldn't group with the others...........................steg

Boolit Mold
    This is an old thread but I'll post an update. When I was doing was not expanding the cause mouth enough and shaving some lead when I was seating the bullet. I believe this was causing the key-holing and leading. Since I started expanding the case mouth a little more I haven't had any key-holing or leading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BIG45-70 View Post
    Any of you guys willing to take a picture of the load data in these manuals?
    I have the 1973 edtion of Lymans cast bullets, it list a bunch of different wieghts using Unique powder I'll scan the pages when I get back from coffee.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    I have the 1973 edtion of Lymans cast bullets, it list a bunch of different wieghts using Unique powder I'll scan the pages when I get back from coffee.
    that would be awesome

Boolit Master

Hope this works if not PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Mold
    It worked but the text is VERY small, even my laser vision eyes are having a tough time.

WHAT IS FELIX LUBE? Also what is the best target to use with the factory open sights? perhaps you could attach a target I could copy and print.

Thanks all.

Matt

One more thing guys...do you guys full length the cases after firing? Or do you partial size. May be a dumb question considering this similiar to a pistol case. Thanks for all info and merry christmas.

Matt

Boolit Mold
    I full length size but you can only next size as long as your shooting them in the same rifle.

Range report using unique groups at 50 yards were all consistent at 2.5" using the factory open sights
    :
    Fired15.2 graings =1240 fps
    17.2= 1340
    18= 1400

15 grains Unique , any gas checked cast bullet to 300- 400 grains.
    Not for trap doors probably, but crazy accurate on Pedersoli sharps, Roller, Ruger #1 and Marlin GG..
    In a 34" barreled Sharps, it's relatively quiet as well.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Anybody try Unique with a 500 grn boolit? I'm thinking 10-12 grns of Unique. Just looking for confirmation on that load range.

Thanks,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

The only loads I have for Unique, and a 500 grain 45-70 Boolit are from the Lyman #47 manual and are for the "Ruger No.1 ONLY". They list 10.0 grains with a filler at 14,100 CUP, and 888 fps. and 14.8 grains MAX. with a filler at 33,700 CUP, and 1153 fps.. You are on your own beyond that. I would move up to a slightly slower powder for a boolit that heavy unless you are looking for a "Whisper" load, or something to poke through windshield glass without fuss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12