Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: chore boy

Boolit Buddy

chore boy

after reading on hear how good chore boy was at getting the lead out, it works so well that i am worried that i may over use it to the piont that i abuse the barrel is this possible
    thank you

In Remebrance

Don't know if this will help since I don't use a Chore Boy, they look kinda coarse to me and they aren't all copper. I use 4/0 steel wool, the same stuff your high priced gunny smithe uses to polish that high dollar blue job you got. In my case, I have zero worries.

Super Moderator

.............Chore Boys are pure copper. However you CAN buy copper PLATED steel scouring pads. Simply use a magnet, or better yet, don't buy'em unless they say "Chore Boy". I really fail to see how they could damage the barrel, as they're copper. Bronze is tougher then copper and bronze bristle brushes are sold by the carload for barrel cleaning.

Re: Bret4207's comments on steel wool. I read an article some years back in Precision Shooting magazine on cleaning 22RF rifle barrels by the guys competing in the BR50 benchrest matches. Several mentioned using steel wool, which at the time really shocked me, but there is steel and then there is steel These guys wouldn't have down it to those expensive barrels unless they KNEW there'd be no danger. However I'll admit to being a chicken and have only used steel wool on some newly aquired M38 Turk Mausers years back. More recently on a M24/47 Czech 8x57 Mauser. The steel wool was the only thing that would clean those barrels of all the junk that was in there.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

Following up ob Bucksnort- lets remember we're just using it to clean the leading or fouling. I'm sure thousands of passes of fresh SW would have an effect. Thousands of passes of Chore Boy or anything else will have an effect too. Moderation is all things, eh?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Kroil and ProMP7are two good ones that might stop you from from using anything else.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

most barrels are chrome-moly lined right? a chrome alloy would be harder on the Mohs scale, with something less hard being unable to scratch something harder. Copper isn't as hard as steel, iron or most barrel metals, except for nerf guns. I once used chore boys to clean a badly fouled nerf gun and was horrified when the accuracy just went to the dogs, as I was trying to shoot at the cat.

Boolit Master

kroil

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Kroil and ProMP7are two good ones that might stop you from from using anything else.
    2X on the Kroil! You have to watch out that the soft copper doesn't pick up grit and turn intself into a real barrel wrecker. Now, if I could fugure out how to get out that plastic fouling from my shotgun barrel!!

In Remebrance

They say carb cleaner will sut the plastic fouling.

Boolit Master
    Aha! I've been trying Brake Kleen with some success so will get me a can of carb cleaner and give that a try next. Thanks!