Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Rossi M92

Boolit Mold

Rossi M92

I got a Rossi M92 with 20" barrel chambered in 44magnum and I want to start casting for this rifle. So I have a couple of questions:
    1)Should I use a gas checked boolit, or not
    2)What is the best powder for this type of loading?
    3)Which LEE mold should I get for this.

I am new to this and all I have been doing is for my 9mm and 45acp handguns.

Boolit Grand Master

FIRST, MEASURE THE BORE !!!! They can run as big as 433 and if you don't have a big enough bullet you are wasting your time. The good news is that with proper bullet fit they are a dandy little rifle. I have one in 357 that has been used since 1972.

The type of powder,and how much depends on what you're gonna do.
    Trailboss for case filling,soft shooting cowboy loads.
    For hot loads,opinons vary..a LOT.. on using g.checks or not,depending on boolit harness,your gun's likes and dislikes,etc. I go gas checks for hot loads with boolits,but then I don't shoot a lot of them as they can get spendy for a non caster like myself

Boolit Mold

Well I checked bore diameter and came up with .431. Now for which mold to choose. I am on a very limited budget, so anyone got any ideas for a good one.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 44 carbines, a Rossi and a Marlin. I cast 3 different bullets, a 200 gr flat base 6 cav lee, a 245 gas check, and a 318 gr lee. as per lee claims, I dont even size the fresh bullets. I usually load very light as in 6 grs unique under the 200 gr. about 700-800 fps. the 318 ahead of 20 grs of 296 is not a fun load but should do just about anything that you want it to.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.

Thumbs up Welcome to the Forum!

The Lee Precision Bunch is a Godsend to those of us with a small warchest. The 429-200-RF is a fine boolit for the Puma. This will be a really pleasant boolit to shoot and will allow you to back off your loads to 44 Special velocities or lower for Cowboy Action. If you want a heavy workhorse the 430-310-RF is just the ticket. The 310 grain will make for a rough ride with full house loads in the light little 92s but it would work very well for hunting just about anything in the lower 48. I like the 429-240-SWC. Its right there in the middle of the other two, takes a gas check so you can hot rod the thing and do it with out beating your shoulder too badly. If you want only one or can afford only one I'd recommend the 240 with the gas check. No matter what boolit you shoot I'm certain you'll like the 92. Helice

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi that also measures .431. I never found a standard Lee Mold that cast large enough to shoot to the potential of the rifle. I tried PB's that came out .429 to .430 and they leaded terribly even at low velocity. I tried .430 diam w/gc and they did not lead, but I only could shoot 2 -3" groups at 50 yds. I then got a Ranch Dog 265 gr GC mold that dropped bullets at .433 and sized them to .432 with w/gc and now it shoots 1" groups at 50yds if I do my part. I also get no leading with this boolit.

G

Super Moderator

................I understand that the Rossi's also come with chambers a tad on the large side. My M92 in 357 doesn't seem too bad. My M92 Rossi in 45 Colt will eject a fired case a .458" rifle boolit will almost fit. I've fired the Lyman 292gr rifle boolit sized to .456" and they chamber and feed fine

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus

I have several Rossi's but not one in 44. I do have a Browning that I run 240 RFN through over 20 gr. of 2400 and it does well. Find a boolit that fits and try several loads, the gun will tell you what it likes.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Bub
    I bought an older Rossi last year. Never slugged the bore. I had a bunch of 240gr plated bullets that were .429 and did a great job in my 629 Smith revolver. The Rossi shotgunned those bullets. Bought some 200gr Laser Cast bullets sized at .431 and the gun loves those. So you do need to check the bore size on these guns.

I have a Rossi 92 in 44mag 16in, kicks like a mule.
    1. I do not use gas checks, zero leading.
    2. It likes 296, and 2400. It hates unique.
    3. It likes the Lee 310 boolit. They mic out at 433 after sitting a week.

Hope this helps.
    Keep us posted

andy

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    See if you can find some one that cast the Lyman 429667. It works perfect in a friends 44 mag that I use to cast for. I sold the mold and no longer have access to it.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by refloyd View Post
    I got a Rossi M92 with 20" barrel chambered in 44magnum and I want to start casting for this rifle. So I have a couple of questions:
    1)Should I use a gas checked boolit, or not
    2)What is the best powder for this type of loading?
    3)Which LEE mold should I get for this.

I am new to this and all I have been doing is for my 9mm and 45acp handguns.
    I bought the Lee 90339

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../bullmol2.html

For my Marlin .44 Mag . The round nose feeds slick .

I shoot the 90349 in my .45 LC Puma .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Mold
    You will want one of the round flat noses, they feed better. Lee seems to have two, the 200 grain, which should be fine for general shooting and even hunting up to smallish deer, say a Texas Whitetail and such like. Their 310 grain is also fine, but will kick more and is best for hunting heavier game.

If you cast your bullets fairly soft, say one part tin to twenty parts lead you will not have to worry so much about exact bore size. That was Saint Elmer of Keith metal for pretty much everything and it leads a barrel far less than the modern hard cast. Most commercial casters cast bullets to look pretty after shipping, not to shoot.

I'd load Titegroup for lighter loads and experiment with 2400, 4227, 296, H110 and Lilgun for heavier loads.