Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
PBcastco Load Data
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Boolit Master
    I like the 74 Winchester. Not the prettiest gun in the rack but I like the way the old ones point back when ironsights were the norm. I bought 1 at a small gun show for $175 a few years back that had the bad habit of going full auto on occasion. Replaced the sear and all is well. Made in the late 30’s. It’s a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Thanks Texas BG.
    There is a wealth of info on this forum. I would have never thought to try that.
    It said so in the manual that came with mine in 1972. I remember thinking “why would I ever do that?” They are so neat watching them feed- the follower actually throws the cartridge halfway into the chamber before the bolt hits it- like if you could see inside a Browning SA. Same design, different ejection method. Dad told me I’m to get his upon his passing( I talked him into one in the 80’s)- I must really like them.

Boolit Master

I started with my Dad's old MOSSBERG Bolt Gun. Wanted to shoot his FN Browning SA, wouldn't let any of his Boy's ever shoot it.
    My Grandpa bought me NYLON 66 just after they came out. My first New Gun, I think it was just to tick off my Dad.
    Little brother "lost" the Nylon 66 when I was away in the Service. Beat the crap out of my New 39D, bought it just before I went in to the Service.

When I got out of the U.S. NAVY, I went looking for that new Nylon 66, there was a 10/22DSP in the rack at the old Gemco. It had sling swivels. The Nylon 66 didn't.

Got a used 552ADL a few years later, not as accurate as the 10/22. That Walnut stocked 10/22 would put 10rds into a 1/2" at 50yds all day long. Williams Peep Sight.

My Choice:
    10/22DSP
    552ADL
    Nylon 66
    FN Browning SA 22
    Italian
    Weatherby Mark XX (Dad's last .22LR)
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

The OP asked for great old 22 auto loading rifles that did not cost an arm and a leg. I have limited experience with 22 auto. My primary 22 rifle since I was 8 years old has been a Winchester 75 target rifle so accuracy wise nothing touched it until I started playing with the tricked out 10/22's and match 22 boltguns. A good barrel, stock and Kidd trigger 10/22's are flat-out amazing but they are not cheap. Purchases a Nylon 66 new in the mid 70's but the didn't shoot very well. Same for the three Browning SA 22's. They are cool little rifles but I gave up trying to find one that shoot well.

In the late 70's a buddy had a Weatherby Mark XXII that I lusted after. That shot almost as well as my Win 75.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-20-2019 at 03:07 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Winchester 1903 or the later m63 .
    A second vote for the Winchester model 63. Inherited one from my uncle--4 digit serial number. Carried for years on either a John Deere 3020 or a 4020 while cultivating beans. It fit perfectly in the gap between the two back supports on the seat. When I was cultivating and a woodchuck would be dumb enough to come out of his hole for lunch, they didn't last long.

Woodchucks would ignore the tractor as long as you didn't make any sudden moves. Push in the clutch slowly, lean forward even slower and pull out the rifle s-l-o-w-l-y. And whack him.

Incorrect thinking now, but liked body hits, they made it back to the hole under their own power, self-burial as it were.

Unlike the one I whacked last week, head on just under the chin, first time I ever saw a woodchuck do a backflip and expire on it's back. Just glad this one didn't make it in to it's hole. This decided to make it's home under the barn. This one was done in with a hotrodded 10-22. Not sure I could have done it with the iron sights on the model 63.

And I don't need to poke holes into the barn trying
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Agree that the model 63 is a great gun and my favorite. But the last nice 1 I saw for sale cost “both arms and both legs”.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    I still have my old "mohawk brown" remington model 66. Wouldn't trade or sell it for ANYTHING
    +1!
    Sold to buy diapers..... =8;..^(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 1968 Franchi Anniversary .22 breakdown which is a cool little rifle. It is a top feed with a tube mag in the stock and is picky on the ammo it likes but is accurate when I do my job. Found a period correct 60's Japanese 4x Monoscope for it which makes it a nice looking package. Still like my Marlin Model 60 with the long barrel and 18 shot magazine.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I seem to remember my old model 60 took 22 rounds before all this assault rifle fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to say the Remington Nylon 66

Banned

had a brown rem nylon 66 that i bought when they first came out. a fun plinker for sure!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This has been a fun thread to read. Over the years I've owned most of the guns mentioned. Not a bad one among them. The one I kept is a Mohawk Brown Remington Nylon 66 which has an old Weaver B4 scope on it. Regret getting rid of the 550-1, but I gifted to a neighbor who needed it and didn't have two wooden nickels to rub together. He still has it.

Most accurate .22 autoloader I ever had was a Ruger 10/.22 which I had a pull-off Winchester 52 barrel put on, set back and chambered with a Bentz reamer, with Unertl scope blocks on it which I used for ammo testing. That gun was amazing, but a bit heavy to carry up and down the ridges bushwhacking squirrels, so I sold it and it is out there somewhere driving little bugholes...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789