Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Boolit Master

Dad got me the mossberg 342ka bolt action .22lr when I was 12 and wanted my hunting license. Don't know whatever happened to it but would love to find one in good shape one day. Dad has been gone a lot of years now and it would kind of remind me of better times.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    My best was a 352K Mossberg.Clip fed,fold down fore end.Neat little rifle.
    Grew legs and wandered off one day,never to return.
    Leo
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Weatherbe XXII

Boolit Master
    I have several Remington 66. They are the most accurate and reliable auto loading rifle I have had .22 LR I have had. I also have a traditional Browning. I have had a couple Marlin 60 and they were good. Had one 10/22 but did not like it. I believe real attraction of 10/22 was its non protruding 10 round rotary magazine and the fact that its separate stock made it easy to modify. Local gun dealer tells me the first thing most new 10/22 buyers do is to start 'customizing' it to make it look like a military firearms. Boys and their toys.

I responded to this awhile back with me liking the Colt Courier rifle. I since bought a pre-New Jersey ban Marlin 60 that holds 18! Shots. I know it's the best semi for the buck and prefer it over the 10-22. I have owned and or shot also the savage 87 ( neat as hell action but not easy to clean), Reising model 65 ( neat also as a garand simulator), Both the 550-1 and 552 Remington ( maybe a little costly?), browning ( maybe a little small?) and others. I believe most who comment here will be biased to whatever they shot and liked.

And the above Weatherby is a classy rifle. Who says a 22 has to be a small boys rifle!
    Last edited by smkummer; 09-26-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Winchester 63, by far. I don't look at 10/22 as being old. I have one from when they first came
    out, very good and accurate gun. The quality of them has slid in past years, plastic parts suck.
    Yes you can by all kind of aftermarket parts and make them into a target gun, but off the rack
    Wally World 10/22 is not the rifle it once was. All the major brands had nice 22 auto loaders at
    one time. When they started with pot metal actions, splined pins, plastics, C- locs, ect- they went
    down hill. I will say the only one to hold its own against the old milled parts gun is the 10/22.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    ... Reising model 60 ( neat also as a garand simulator), ...
    I'm guessing you meant Reising model 65? The model 60 was a .45 ACP carbine!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Oops, I made the correction, yes a Reising 65.

Boolit Bub
    I have an early 1970's Winchester model 190. It shoots shorts, longs and long rifle reliably and accurately. Bought it new and still have it. It must have 50k rounds through it. Can't remember it ever jamming. Just wish I could find some .22 shorts. I have given up on finding any longs.

Boolit Master
    I ran across a Nylon 66 in the LGS about ten years back . It was priced cheap but the plastic was badly broken up and splintered almost the whole length of the piece. It apparently still worked but wasn't likely to be reliable.
    It looked like it had been in the trunk of a car that got rear ended.
    While I might have been repairable with the latest crop of glues made for this sort of material I just wouldn't care to put that much time into it since any collector value would be nil.
    It might have been worth what they were asking for it as a donor gun for parts if someone had one of these already.
    They are very nice little rifles, I've handled a few belonging to acquaintances but never fired one as of yet.

Best .22 rifle I've ever fired was one belonging to my older brother. It could feed .22 Shorts, longs or long rifles.
    The brand name escapes me at the moment.
    It was a tube fed long barreled autoloader with slab sided receiver. The fore end of the two piece stock extended back to cover the sides of the receiver with a large diameter screw that secured the rear of the fore end at a point above the trigger.
    I've never found any .22 that could equal it for pin point accuracy with any and all brands of ammunition, or one that was more comfortable to hold and carry.
    The barrel was long enough that standard velocity shorts made no more noise than a pellet rifle, probably less than most of those for that matter, and it never jammed or failed to feed even old gummy cartridges thick with verdigris.

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    remington 552 speedmaster 22short 22long 22LR load plink plink plink.........................simple,easy to clean and goes many rounds with out needing a cleaning.

New production models are not cheap, older used models can be found for short money

I have a 552. Bought it in 1970 still functions perfectly. Very accurate, no issues. Also have a "newer" 10-22 with wood stock and stainless barrel. Good little rifle. The Speedmaster is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I ran across a Nylon 66 in the LGS about ten years back . It was priced cheap but the plastic was badly broken up and splintered almost the whole length of the piece. It apparently still worked but wasn't likely to be reliable.
    It looked like it had been in the trunk of a car that got rear ended.
    While I might have been repairable with the latest crop of glues made for this sort of material I just wouldn't care to put that much time into it since any collector value would be nil.
    It might have been worth what they were asking for it as a donor gun for parts if someone had one of these already.
    They are very nice little rifles, I've handled a few belonging to acquaintances but never fired one as of yet.

Best .22 rifle I've ever fired was one belonging to my older brother. It could feed .22 Shorts, longs or long rifles.
    The brand name escapes me at the moment.
    It was a tube fed long barreled autoloader with slab sided receiver. The fore end of the two piece stock extended back to cover the sides of the receiver with a large diameter screw that secured the rear of the fore end at a point above the trigger.
    I've never found any .22 that could equal it for pin point accuracy with any and all brands of ammunition, or one that was more comfortable to hold and carry.
    The barrel was long enough that standard velocity shorts made no more noise than a pellet rifle, probably less than most of those for that matter, and it never jammed or failed to feed even old gummy cartridges thick with verdigris.
    That was a High Standard .22. My uncle had one. His was marked JC Higgins. Best, Thomas.

Another vote for Winchester 74 in short or long rifle. The short will cycle CCI CB shorts if it is well maintained.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    Hmmmmm.....I must be the only guy with a Rem 597. And I like it a bunch
    Nope, me too. Accurate but I wish someone had a high cap mag that was more reliable (and yes I tried several and even tried modifying). The stock 9rd mag worked well.

Had a Nylon 66. Very reliable but not as accurate as my bolt Rem 781 or the 597.

The most fun I had with one was the IMI Uzi .22 rifle. I never really tested the accuracy but it rang gongs well enough with the stock sights.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is the remington nylon 66 apache model the black and chrome version. Its the only plastic gun I own.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Winchester 63 or the 1903. I'd still have a 1903 if they hadn't quit making the .22 Auto ammo .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned

Personaly I think the best selling ever 22 the 10/22 is the king. Ive owned about every 22 listed so far in this thread. Right now I own 3 10/22s and the newest a threaded bolt savage. One of my 10/22s a takedown is just average on paper but both of my wood stocked ones shoot as well or better then the savage bolt and every other 22 ive ever owned. Are they all that accurate? Nope. Ive had and got rid of a couple that were average but never had what id call a bad one. They run like a top, except "reliable" high capacity mags and with the amount of aftermarket stuff for them you can make them into about anything. Me, I leave them alone. Only mod ive ever done to one is thread my takedown so I can use a suppressor on it. There made right from the factory in about any configuration that trips your trigger bet it plinking, survival, competition or all of the above.

Boolit Master

SOOOO, from reading here, there is NO best 22 auto rifle.

If you get a good one of most any model, then that is the best one?
    Is that what y'all are starting to understand?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    I bought a Mossberg Model 702 Plinkster. early in 2016. $99 at Wallmart. Yup you read correctly UNDER $100. It has a 10 shot mag but can use the 25 shot mag from the Mossberg 715 also. Shoots better than I can. Have not had a single jam/misfire/problem with it yet. Weighs just 4lb. Very comfortable for a full sized adult to shoot (although it can be used by child as well). My only complaint is that it is a bit tricky for a full tear down until you get the hang of it. It also has groves milled in for a scope. Now beat that for value!

I gave my son a Rem 597 and it is totally reliable and crazy accurate. The first two mags I had were off spec or something and it would jam sometimes. I talked to a nice women at Remington and she said they had improved them and she sent two new mags free. Problem solved. It's more accurate than any stock 10-22 I've owned(several). Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

I'm sorry you all haven't had the opportunity to use a Remington 550-1, you'd certainly have fond memories.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast