Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Boolit Grand Master

Rem Speedmaster. Accurate, feeds mixed S, L and LR. My M60 Glenfield is very
    unreliable on ignition, have cleaned lubed all and replaced hammer spring. Still
    misfires about half the time.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    My M60 Glenfield is very unreliable on ignition, have cleaned lubed all and replaced hammer spring. Still misfires about half the time.
    MTGun44,
    have you checked the end of your firing pin? Worn, chipped, misshaped or just too short pins will do that as well. It's an easily replaced $6 part that might be worth a try.

Boolit Master

Bill, try this solution. He has done a couple of my 10/22 bolts.
    Made an huge difference.
    https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/
    I cannot believe I forgot to post his link.
    Last edited by docone31; 03-02-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Man
    My first was a Nylon 66 and boy do I wish I still owned it...sigh.

However! I do own quite a few .22 rifles, and my favorite autoloaders are the Browning bottom eject design and the Remington 550-1. Both are superbly accurate, and sorry 10-22 fans, simply much nicer overall.

I picked up a clean Norinco clone of the Browning and trimmed the barrel and stock away to the minimum. It handles like a wand and shoots very nicely as well. Look for a write-up in Backwoodsman later this year.......
    Otony

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, back at the start I believe the man said best economical 22 auto loader. I wanted a nylon 66, but when I finally scraped up enough to buy one, it so happened that K-Mart had the Ruger on sale for 39.95, so thats what followed me out. I've still got it and have never regretted it.
    But the best deal in recent years, until that duck licker Clinton cut off the importation was the Norinco browning copy. For 99 bucks, they were a steal. not as nice as the originals, but you'd have to set the way back for 73 to get a browning for that price!

L Ross
    Anyone else remember a full color ad on the back cover of magazines many years ago featuring a Nylon 66 covered in water droplets leaning against a trapper's ash pack basket?
    I still have a couple, one with a Williams 5D receiver sight, one scoped. They are too light with long mushy trigger pulls that shoot well despite those issues. Still have a few hundred rounds of Bridgeport "Golden" Bullets in the old red white and green cardboard boxes. They go with a Nylon 66 like pigs go with mud.

Duke

Boolit Master

Win 63

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I believe the best autoloading 22 was the Winchester model 63. A nice one today will cost you $1000. I also like the Model 74. I bought a nice 1 made in 1939 for $175 last year. Obviously a lot more people agree with my 1st choice than with my 2nd. The most reliable .22 I ever owned (and indestructible) is the Nylon 66.
    up 'till just recently, Rossi/Taurus made a copy of the Win mod 63. I recently picked up one in blue (also made in stainless) for just under $300.00 OTD. I love it. They're still out there, even some new ones, for the looking and well worth the money asked.

Boolit Master
    Rugers rifle and pistol get my vote

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    MTGun44,
    have you checked the end of your firing pin? Worn, chipped, misshaped or just too short pins will do that as well. It's an easily replaced $6 part that might be worth a try.
    Another thing that should always be checked is debris inside the cut outs at the breech for the extractor and its companion locator.
    These cut outs gather atomized lead and other fouling and sooner ot later this prevents the bolt from closing completely. Even a few thousandths is enough to prevent proper support for the rim and soften the firing pin blow.

It takes some serious effort to get one of these little rifles completely cleaned out. Almost every one brought to me to cure misfires had a huge build up of lead in those recesses.

To get one of the Marlin or Glenfields clean you have to strip it down to individually clean ever parts inside and out. Toothpicks really come in handy.

The right ammo can go a long way towards reducing fouling, especially lead dust and shavings.

I have a Marlin 99 M1 carbine right now. Since it was not restorable to original condition I've reshaped the stock to look more like the GI carbine stock. This took a bit more weight off an already very light little rifle.
    The cheekpiece of these rifles has always been too high for me, removing the comb makes it a better shooter for me at least.

RUGER 10 22

I like the Power custom trigger kit from Brownells

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Winchester 74 with a Weaver C6.We (brother and I) would sit on his porch and cut weeds one at a time,in the ditch across the road.I loved it! He gave it to me a couple of years ago for my birthday.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    I once had a Winchester Model 74 rifle that shot really well, but I have always been a single shot fan when it came to my .22 rifles. Either in bolt action or falling block.

I own a Ruger 10-22 Deluxe Sporter, a 10-22T, a Remington Apache 77 (clip fed Nylon 66 made exclusively for Walmart in the late 80's), and a 1948 Remington 241 Speedmaster. I love all of them but by far, my favorite is the 241. It takes down, has bottom eject and loads through the side of the stock. It's a work of art that shoots like I still cant believe. I love to shoot empty shotgun shells set up on a log at 25 yards, gallery style. When shooting spinners, clay birds on the berm at 75 yards, or any other target games, it's always a crowd pleaser. Even inexperienced shooters seem to hit targets with ease. I would never scope it.

Vendor Sponsor

I wanted a Browning .22 auto since I was 9 years old and got my first Sears Catalog. They were $79 in 1959. I could never afford one.

I finally found a good one for $500, and bought it for myself for my 60th birthday. I shot cans for 3 hours with and burned up 200 rnds of ammo that day. It was made in 1964 and I can hit a beer can at 50 yds nearly everytime Offhand with open sights which are right where they were when I got the gun.

There was a reason why these guns were that much money way back then. A very sweet litttle gun indeed. Still looks new after 46 years, wish I still did.

I bought a Marlin 39AS for my 61st Bday, $350. The Browning is a way better gun. Full pop for a M39 today is $679 !!!

Randy

Boolit Master
    Oh what a tangled web we weave! I was forced to sell my beloved little Remington Model 241 in 1989 when I was injured. That was in Rapid City, South Dakota. Several weeks ago I was at a gunshow in Glendive, Montana and lo and behold, there was my old rifle. He offered me a really good deal as it was chambered for 22 Short only and the stock had been refinished. A friend of mine had originally purchased the rifle from a shooting gallery where it had been shot for many years. He had refinished the stock and had it reblued before I bought it from him. Even worse is that I have lost the dealers name and address. PM me if you have any info?
    I bought a used Marlin 70 really cheap a few days ago. The clip retainer isn't working but that should be easy to repair. Neil

Ruger 10/22 gets my vote.
    I just bought my first one and Im very impressed with the design.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    Am I the only one that likes the Remington 550-1 the best auto I ever owned and well the only auto too. Shoots shorts, longs, and long rifles, had it since I was kid shot about a million shorts through it mainly cause they were cheap. Wasn't too pretty shot ok good enough to kill squirrels, rabbits, turtles, beer cans and what ever else came along still have it.
    I have one of those 550-1's and it is a real good shooter. A year or so ago, I bought a newer version of that rifle and like it even better. A friend of mine had a Nylon 66 and one day, we took it in half to see how dirty the action was. It was filled totally with powder flakes but never missed a beat. Had several Marlin M-60's and they are hard to beat. Never got around to getting a 10/22 but that new takedown model looks mighty tempting.

Boolit Master

Not the best, but I like 'em.

I have 11 guns that shoot .22 lr., but anytime a need arises for a .22 rimfire I reach for one of these two.

Attachment 89231

Springfield 187R and Glenfield 75. If I'm gonna be doing a lot of walking it's the Glenfield 75 as it's short and light.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    I bought my Mohawk brown Nylon 66 back in 1973, used, for $30. I shot it a few times, and let my kids have shot it, they liked it because it was light. I like the rifle, but it's not my go to .22rf. My bolt action Rem 512 spoiled me. I once considered buying a 10/22 way back when you could buy them used for $35, from newspaper ads. Unfortunately, when I did make up my mind to do so, the ads just seemed to dry up. I will have my granddaughters shooting the 66 one of these days. Incidentally, I found a Nylon 66 with the black stock at a gun show for only $179. about 2 months or so ago, but my toy fund was kinda tapped out.

Boolit Bub
    S&W M&P 15-22, that was easy!
    "One man with a gun, can control 100 without one." Vladimir Lenin

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast