MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
PBcastco Load Data
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Boolit Master

Yes the old Remingtons, Winchesters of days gone by where indeed fine guns without equal today. But they where and are pretty expensive.

Not to stir the 10-22 hornet nest up to bad but it seems alot of folks end up spending more money in after market parts on them than the gun is worth.

Boolit Master

Proud owner of 4 10-22s.
    You can spend a lot on parts, but don't really need to.
    Most of them work if they are just clean.
    Spray and pray cleaning is a bad practice with the ruger, gunk is forced into the fireing pin recess, and extractor plunger/spring recess.
    Have never had one that needed the exact edge extractor. but have bought pawnshop beaters that needed the bolt and mag cleaned.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    You can go overboard with a 10/22, but if you can find an older one in good condition, the ones with the metal trigger assembly. they are great guns. mine is bone stock other than a little trigger work and i can strip a walnut tree pretty easily. the old winchesters are nice too but they are getting hard to find, i have 4 or 5 in the safe that get regular use a well.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the old Ruger's with the metal butt plate and a nice walnut stock. I bought it for my son but he didn't like it much some I bought him something else and kept this one for myself. When my boys were younger we used to shoot turtles at my stock tank with .22's. So this one became my "turtle gun". When my grandson gets a little older (he's 5) maybe I'll dust it off and take him turtle shooting. It's my equivalent to prarie doggin'

well lets see my first gun was a win mod 190 that i eventually was able to shoot quarters thrown into the air and cut cards in half with, i also have a mod 62 that will strike a match for you, and my number two child shot a 22 target with my 10/22 yesterday so i guess the fave is the one you shoot best with or all of them lol
    uj
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I had a m-60 Marlin and after a day at the range and over a brick of ammo, it started to jam. cleaned it and no more jams. My Rem 550-1 wouldn't make it that far without jamming but is a much more classy gun and shoots all 3. Now that shorts cost more than Long Rifle, no advantage there.

Got another 60 in a walnut stock that my buddy picked up somewhere's and topped with a sweet little 4x bushnell. I talked him out of it.

The first one I bought, I paid $38 at K-mart, this next one set me back $150. Still, not a bad deal for a real shooter.

I know it's not a clip fed but is accurate as all get out.

In Remembrance

We had a Remington 550-1 on the farm. Between my brother and me it saw lots of service with nary a problem. We started with open sights then managed to get a Weaver B-4 scope on it and finally a 1" scope on it in the `80`s.Robert

Smile Browning

BROWNING.It's compact,light,will shoot any longrifle round you feed it.I can clean it in 5 minutes.And has put many a tree rat and rabbit in my stew pot for almost 40 years.Yes I have Rugers,Remingtons,and a few others,but they just don't compare.I have hunted with all of them,but 99.99% of the time I go hunting I have that John Moses Browning .22 in my hand.

Boolit Bub
    another vote for the Rem Nylon 66. First firearm I bought. It's had about 50K rounds through it and has NEVER been cleaned. NEVER had a hiccup. Best, most reliable firearm I own - accurate too.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Nylon 66, ah, yes, an idea that was perfect from the start. Prolly originated by a chemist at that, bored with making chemicals for shirts replacing cotton, and like paraphernalia. A DuPont gadget, no doubt. Remington could not, would not, do it on its own accord, I don't think. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    My best was a 352K Mossberg.Clip fed,fold down fore end.Neat little rifle.
    Grew legs and wandered off one day,never to return.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I have owned flocks of 22 auto loaders over the past 65 years. The first and one of the best was a Model 89 Marlin. $39 new and was more than a months wage for me at that time. I lused for a Model 63 Winchester but didn't manage to get one until about five years ago. It was a very snazzy package but the accuracy was very lackluster and it went down the road. The 89 Marlin was followed by a Model 74 Winchester. It appeared to be in excellent condition but you needed a cleaning rod to punch out about every third round. When Ruger announced the 10-22 I ran up to Fresno and ordered one. A few months later a shipment of six came in and I had my pick of the very first one sold in the Fresno area. I have owned a half dozen 10-22s since then. Perfomance is great but accuracy is only adequate. When I was a part time gun smith I worked on bunches of Stevens/Savage auto loaders. The clip fed rifles normally only required a good cleaning to get tem going. The tube fed mdels were a horse of a different color. The parts were stamped and very (extremely) sloppy fitting. After working on a few of these I normally advised scrapping them and buying another rifle. You could usually buy a new rifle for less than the expense of parts and man hours to get them going again. One of the finest rifles that I have owned was a Remington Model 241. Mine was chambered for 22 short and came from a shooting gallery. I wish that I still had it. This same rifle was manufactured and sold in europe ad the FN Selfloader. I saw several of them while stationed in England. This same rifle was marketed in this country as the Browning although it sported a different stock. I owned one Nylon 66 and consider it to be an ideal rifle for trappers and backpackers. I owned one of the earliest AR-7s but it felt so clumsy that it quickly went down the road. Surprisingly, I have never owned or worked on a Mossberg auto loader. My all time favorite is a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 carbine. Clip fed! Definetly the most accurate 22 autoloader that I have owned. For years it rode with me when i went up into the Black Hills to harvest my winters fire wood. I can't recall shooting anything other than sqquirrels with it but it must have collected a half pickup load. I am in need of a 22 autolloader since letting go of the 63 Winchester. I believe that I will go looking for a Marlin. Hopefully I will find the Papoose. Neil

Boolit Master

The Marlin 60 is going to be my next reasonable priced 22 auto as well.

Boolit Master
    I had a Winchester 63 for over 20 years and it was the most reliable and trouble free auto-loader I ever owned in 22 RF. I really can't say how many thousands of rounds went out of it but compared to anything else I have ever owned including 1022s, Brownings, Savage/Stevesns, etc they can not compare. One of my biggest regrets is that I sold it to buy a Model 52 winchester to target shooting. The model 52 is a great gun but I should have sold something else to buy it,

Boolit Mold
    My best 22 I ever had I picked up at a gun shop over 30 years ago for 150. Weatherby XXII it was used then about twice the money as other good 22's was bringing. No problems with it, shoots better than I can shoot. I dont see very many of them and it is one of the few guns I have that I would never put a price on it. Have had more enjoyment of this gun than any other gun I have owned.
    Mike

It's hard to beat a plain Jane 10-22 if you ask me. Right out of the box, they just seem to work & work & work. The ones that I've messed with have even shot to point of aim right out of the box. That was always a pleasant surprise.

I used to have a real nice one in a deluxe bandless walnut stock that I bought from Roache Brothers on Mass Ave. in Cambridge, but the Boston assault rifle ban put an end to that. Even now that Ted Kennedy is in his grave, I still cuss that man on a regular basis. He was a truly harmful parasite.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Bub
    I still have & use my Rem Nylon 66 Apachie rifle that I bought NIB in 1972 & have shot many Woodchucks with this gun, to bad Rem stopped making them,A great rf rifle they were.

Quote Originally Posted by autofix4u View Post
    Ok you can all burn me down for my love of the Marlin/Glenfields
    I had the Model 60 Glenfield Squirrel Hunting edition. Great little rifle. Sold it off when I was young and stupid.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I own 6 Marlin 60s including the one I bought at age 12 from money earned shoveling out chicken houses (breeder stock barns no less...still scarred by all the flea bites). That one, made in 1973, is my most dearest treasure even though I didn't clean it for about 20 years of solid shooting with all sorts of the cheapest ammo I could find. It only jammed when using sub-sonic or low powered foddder, and then I only can remember two jams in my whole life--one which cost me a 2nd shot a tree rat running on the ground.

I've owned enough 10/22's to prefer the Marlin 60 ( but that is certainly only a subjective opinion).

The odd, and unique Stevens 78A is a cool .22 to play with as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I had a Black & Chrome Rem Nylon 66 when I was a teenager, it was cheap back then, but the prices now . . . WOW! . . . makes me wish I had kept it!
    I still have my old "mohawk brown" remington model 66. Wouldn't trade or sell it for ANYTHING
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast