RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Boolit Master

Best ol 22 auto loadin rifle?????

Lets hear what you think was a great old 22 auto loading rifle that did not cost an arm and a leg.

My vote goes for the Pre War 6A Savage. The most accurate and reliable one I have had.

Boolit Master

I had a Black & Chrome Rem Nylon 66 when I was a teenager, it was cheap back then, but the prices now . . . WOW! . . . makes me wish I had kept it!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

My vote goes to the Marlin model 60 & clones. I/we own about 15 of the darn things and each one shoots better than i can hold. With proper maint they are dead reliable, neglect then a little and you get a jam-O-matic.
    Ok you can all burn me down for my love of the Marlin/Glenfields

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an old Mossberg box magazine rifle that thought it was a target rifle. I think it was a Model 353??? The trigger was terrible, but it would outgroup the 10-22 that I had.

For newer rifles I like the Marlins, every one that I have had was more reliable than the Ruger 10-22.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Remington 241
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Hard to beat the 10/22 I would have thought.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I have a Belgian Browning .22 Auto. It is much more accurate than any stock 10/22 that I have owned. It is a sweet little rifle.

G

Marlin model 60. $139 out the door and they work great the best for the money in my book.

For me the even better part is just drop the bullets in and shoot no magazine spring to fight with for every round you stuff in just jam one rod in after loading.

After shooting mine one of my friends had to have one and bought a clipfed mossberg because they were out of marlins. After coming to the house and shooting a few times he traded it on a marlin and swore he would not go back to a clipfed .22.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a Marlin 60 at a pawn shop for $60. It is very accurate and very reliable. If you like to tinker, get a Ruger as there are tons of after market parts for them. If you want accurate out of the box get a Marlin 60.

I always hankered after a Browning.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Another vote for the model 60. Dad bought me one as my first gun when I was 12 years old. I still have it and hunt squirrels with it every year. I can put 15 rounds of Federal bulk ammo in a spot the size of a nickle at 25 yards with it. Have never tried it with the good ammo.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Got a 1979 Model 60, with the longer barrel and mag tube.

Yeah you can buy tons of stuff for the 10/22, Yet I dont need to.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

The Marlin Glenfield 60 seems to be real popular, keep em coming. Right now I only have three 22 self loading rifles the Savage 6A, Winchester 74 and a Delux pre warning 10-22. I have owned the Mod 60s and Remington Nylon 66s in the past.

Boolit Master
    Back when I was in high school I picked up a used Mossberg from a retired farmer.

This was the 22 auto loader with the tube feed in the butt of the Mannlicher stock.

A huge asset to me in those days was the incrediable sight arrangement on this gun!

A fully adjustable peep on the rear that would fold sideways if I decided to add a scope, never did, and a selection of four flip up front sights mounted in a hooded ramp front sight base.

This thing was plain incrediable! I shot the snot out of it for about 10 years and lost it to a house fire caused by a dumb butt roomy!

Taught me two important things: alway value the treasures you find in your life and never have a roommate!

Sadly I have never found a decent replacement Mossberg, think it was the 151M autoloader, seen a lot of them missing parts, sights, and the fore stock. Seen many that were so shot out the feed mechanism was worn out and they sprayed ammo out the ejection port when fired.

Someday I will find another. In the mean time I have a Mossberg 353 bolt gun that was my sons that is almost as accurate.

I have a pair of 10/22's, one modified to english sporter style the other a real Mannlicher stocked 10/22 which is a very close second to the old Mossberg.

Shot tons of the Marlin Model 60's during grade school and high school. Nice reliable guns, if kept clean, but way to many of them out there for me to want one.

I like different but for a new shooter a model 60 would sure be a great place to start!

Boolit Master
    Depends what you want to do, You would be hard pressed to ever find anything better for the money than a 10/22 relative to accuracy/handling/upgrading. It is accurate and can be made to be very accurate!

if your interest is totally "Accuracy" then you want to look at some of the benchrest .22's in bolt action. Be prepared to spend some big $$$$$$.

The Ruger 10/22 is the only auto loading .22 I've ever owned and I've been more than satisfied with it in all aspects for more than 30 yrs. I would buy a Marlin 60 in a heart beat for the right price though.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master

My nicest looking is a Remington 552 BDL my best shooting is an early Ruger 10/22 that I sent to Clarke years ago to have them do a job on it, that rifle is a tack driver period.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

9 million 10/22 owners can`t be too far wrong....dale

Boolit Master
    remington 552 speedmaster 22short 22long 22LR load plink plink plink.........................simple,easy to clean and goes many rounds with out needing a cleaning.

New production models are not cheap, older used models can be found for short money

Boolit Master
    I believe the best autoloading 22 was the Winchester model 63. A nice one today will cost you $1000. I also like the Model 74. I bought a nice 1 made in 1939 for $175 last year. Obviously a lot more people agree with my 1st choice than with my 2nd. The most reliable .22 I ever owned (and indestructible) is the Nylon 66.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast